The threadmill, aka fitness discussion

well, 1000 situps isn't bad at all. i will have to try whether i can make it all in one go over the course of a regular session. i think i can do 250x2 alright, and 4 batches are an untested but reasonalbe possibility. all in a row, on the contrary, could be troublesome.

and 'little weightlifting' won't get you anywhere. :p

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that I don't do them all in a row. I do them 250x4 or 200x5, depending on how tired/lazy I am.

About the weightlifting, I know, but I don't want to have massive arms (I would never be able to get that far, mind you, but you get the point).

Oh, there's no risk that you suddently will look like Schwarzenegger. :p

A colleague to a friend of mine went to some kind of areobics workout two times. Then she quit, as she didn't want to get to muscular. :lol:

Haha, I know, I know.

I used to do more weightlifting, however, and developed more muscles than I wanted - my shoulders are already too wide for my liking. Anyway...it's also just something I'd rather not bother with because I'm not striving for so much like some of the rest of you =P

A colleague to a friend of mine went to some kind of areobics workout two times. Then she quit, as she didn't want to get to muscular. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Must have been some workouts. :p And how one is supposed to get muscular with aerobics is beyond my understanding - you do get toned legs, of course (which incidentally i do not have), but since when did runner's legs look bad on a woman?

@LS: broad shoulders are sometimes more about posture than meat, but in any case you should not worry - i reckon that, while it is kind of easy to inflate arms and pecs, shoulders and lats just don't get big if you don't try really really hard. which means that you can do light weightlifting as much as you want and you won't look like a wrestling champion.

i have no idea of your body size, but if i understand correctly what you're about i feel i can say that if you do typical 'girlie' workouts for your shoulders - say, 10x3 shoulder presses with 2 to 4 kg per arm twice per week, and upright rows with similar weight - you'll definitely be healthier without looking butch at all. it will help you to keep your spine in the correct position and you'll look as supple as anyone.

Don't laugh about it. I only went to the gym for one month in my whole life (when i was 18), and that's when i got all my muscles. :p

I went to the gym for 6 months during my exchange year in the USA, because i thought we would do some light weight lifting, and the music during the class was not too bad (most of the times). Thats about teh only time i did

But i was wrong... it was a torture, and we were forced to lift quite much. I even injured my wrist once... it was so painfull that i couldnt carry my schoolbooks anymorein that hand.

When we did weight lifting in belgium, it was only bvery light, jsut to help not getting all rusty. And it was once lika every 2 years for 2 or 3 times.

well, trainers who give people too much to lift are just stupid.

on the other hand, i have been looking at teenage girls at the gym (no, not in that way, get your mind of the gutter!) and i have the impression that most of them are placing themselves in circumstances that will get them easily hurt. they work out with 1kg weights, and that's all well and good - if that's what they can handle, so be it. but it's completely obvious to me that they do not eat, and still they spend 30-40 mins on the treadmill or indoor bike. if people do not eat and they spend energy on aerobic activities they will get hurt, even if they only lift their schoolbag. if i were a trainer, i'd just refuse to have such people in my care - they're a walking manifesto for easily avoidable injury.

@hyena: what do you mean that they can easily get hurt? is it because their body has nothing to burn so it burns down muscle and then they have no muscle to use to lift minimum weights?

@hyena: what do you mean that they can easily get hurt? is it because their body has nothing to burn so it burns down muscle and then they have no muscle to use to lift minimum weights?

i was thinking more in terms of torn muscle fiber. excuse if i am quite imprecise here (you're the doctor, i'm just the skinhead on the corner :p), but if i understand correctly the whole point of weightlifting is procuring microtears in your muscles via above-average effort, then you eat - especially protein - and the muscles grow, because you fill the tears with more muscle tissue. if you don't eat, the tears just stay there, and the little muscle tissue you have gets damaged.

and speaking of workouts, i was stupid and went to bed too late - i only had 6hrs of sleep and this may thwart my plans for a workout tonight, i don't want to collapse in the gym. the supersetting of last thursday took me 4 days to recover, i am theoretically ready for a similar feat, but not if i don't sleep. :Smug:

The thing about public gyms is that there's the pressure to do more than you can or feel comfortable with in order to "show off" your abilities to the other people, even if you only do it subconsciously. Aside from the added convenience, this is part of the reason I make do with what I have at home.

Oh, and to stay away from guys with wandering eyes like hyena. (J/k, j/k :p)

Oh, and to stay away from guys with wandering eyes like hyena. (J/k, j/k :p)

Oh, but not again. :lol:

For the very last time: i-am-not-a-guy!

me.jpg

See? Not a guy!

(although at the time there was more hair)

And the repeated insinuations will not make me post nude pictures. :p

Ok, so you're not a guy, granted. About not posting nude pictures: That is just mean.

If I was matse I'd tell mommy.

Not exactly. "A bit" indicates quantity and "-ish" denotes quality.

A bit tired means she is tired, though not too tired.
Tired-ish means it is something similar to being tired, though it's probably something else.

Tired-ish means it is something similar to being tired, though it's probably something else.

Probably the word you're looking for is "drunk". :p

(although I do not remember if it was the case - the pic was taken ages ago)