The (Un)official Royal Carnage forum picture page

fantastic stuff ... love the small details in your shots.

do you send the photos out to the bands usually?

Thanks, Aurel...
Usually I do and they are satisfied. But depends on the band, for example - I won't send my photos to Vader or Sodom because they came out shitty, imo. Plus these guys have plenty of pics like mine (like nothing really special) as they tour for so long..
Though younger bands are happy with my stuff in most of times.

neurotica can you please tell ukrainian bands that "empty playground", "fragile art" and "hell:eek:n" are not acceptable as band names

here's another thing i want to talk about: the problem with taking photos of bands like sodom and whatever is they're probably headlining, and as such, they play late - after dark; ERGO; bad pictures. this is the only advantage to playing FIRST at a stupid festival or whatever; you get good photos taken of yourself. and actually you get to drink beer afterwards while the other bands are all stressed out and sober. so two advantages.

what kind of abominable grisly ancient abyss did you dig this up from

neurotica can you please tell ukrainian bands that "empty playground", "fragile art" and "hell:eek:n" are not acceptable as band names
Those are polish/russian/ukr ...
but guys, we've got a lot of bands with stupid names that we love (Destroyer 666, Orange Goblin, Sun o)), etc )

they play late - after dark; ERGO; bad pictures.
No, I think that it's completely my problem, because I'm the one who have troubles making good stuff after dark due to lack of expreience. There are guys who take fantastic photos even with bad lights:

http://dragonlady1.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://henrikack.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://petriw.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://middeneaht.deviantart.com/gallery/

and actually you get to drink beer afterwards while the other bands are all stressed out and sober. so two advantages.
I'm sure some of ace headliners don't worry that much anymore and
allow theirselves to drink ;) though i know what you mean.

No, I think that it's completely my problem, because I'm the one who have troubles making good stuff after dark due to lack of expreience. There are guys who take fantastic photos even with bad lights:
well of course you can get better at making the best out of a bad situation but you will get a lot more keepers in half decent lighting no matter how "good" you are

like here's my crappy example, rather a long time ago i took pictures of this thrash festival with like 9 bands or some shit

the earlier bands have photos with great evening light like this
2523267633_541c28d5c9.jpg

2523239299_bc003ab067.jpg

the last band (lethal, since you ask) plays after dark so almost all the pics are shit, i got like maybe 5 that were even remotely worth keeping
2523285655_20fa77c8e4.jpg

2523286069_84a44d329b.jpg

lighting very much dictates what you can and can not shoot, like i prefer to be able to freeze shit like headbanging with fast shutter speeds and after dark you will have to accept that anything moving quickly is going to be a blurry mess, which is not bad in itself but it gets old real fast

also i'm extremely picky with sharpness and if something has even the tiniest bit of hand shake blur it's crap, so that last picture of mike sucks for instance, it's just one of the better ones out of a batch of crap

also i'm extremely picky with sharpness and if something has even the tiniest bit of hand shake blur it's crap, so that last picture of mike sucks for instance, it's just one of the better ones out of a batch of crap
Well yea, i know what you mean... But still - the more you practice - the better shit you get.
As for the sharpness, yeah these are the best 2 shots of Arch Enemy I got during that same one fest. And I admit that although out of the set theyare the best ones - as single photos they are an utter shit...

gotta ask though, why would you be at iso 200 in light like that

those would be quite sharp if you were at like 800 or 1600

they only let us shoot during first song and I tried a higher ISO and it was still shitty, too bright and akward, maybe something about other settings. Plus the higher iso - the more of noise. I must try harder, I know.

honestly, you have a canon 5d, you can use anything up to 3200 without even thinking twice

if higher iso gives you brighter pictures you're doing something else wrong, there should be no such differences

weird. if you're in shutter priority mode ("Tv" on canon) and change iso from 200 to 400 (for example,) all that should happen is that the aperture stops down one stop, so if you were at f/5.6 you would now be at f/8. if you were in "Av" mode you would be able to use a shutter speed one stop faster instead. either way the exposure should be exactly the same in terms of the amount of light reaching the sensor, so nothing should be brighter or darker.