To all Ghost Reveries Haters.....

House of Seance said:
what the band says about their music, and what their intentions really are behind the music are completely 100% irrelevant

the fact is, they're selling their music, period, to make a profit, to live off their music, and to fund future recording and touring

it's business

No I still disagree. As I said, they still need to make money to live but it's not the bottom line as it would be in a business. To some people money issnt the bottom line.

Nichtsicher said:
No I still disagree. As I said, they still need to make money to live but it's not the bottom line as it would be in a business. To some people money issnt the bottom line.
unfortunately this isn't a matter of opinion

business is defined as:
1. an occupation, profession, or trade: His business is poultry farming.
2. the purchase and sale of goods in an attempt to make a profit.
3. a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce, manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern.

Opeth fall under all 3... they're in the business of making, selling, and profiting from music

what makes you think you'd know what the bottom line is anyway? it doesn't hold any water, nobody knows the band's intentions except the band

House of Seance said:
unfortunately this isn't a matter of opinion

business is defined as:
1. an occupation, profession, or trade: His business is poultry farming.
2. the purchase and sale of goods in an attempt to make a profit.
3. a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce, manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern.

Opeth fall under all 3... they're in the business of making, selling, and profiting from music

what makes you think you'd know what the bottom line is anyway? it doesn't hold any water, nobody knows the band's intentions except the band

Well firstly they have on numerous occasions said that they dont do it for the money.

Secondly, all those definitions you posted say what I have been saying. That business sets out to make a profit and that is its main concern, sure it doesnt say this explicitly on those definition but read between the lines.

So if you take what I said first and then your definitions then what I said on them you can see that Opeth does not fall under business. Ill make this clear. I know that Opeth receives money by making music. However, I dont beleive that this is the main intention of why they do it (Look at their history). So, they are not a business.

well if the venue wasn't able to pay the band, that is probably a sign that the venue wasn't able to sell enough tickets. And that would be because there weren't enough FANS paying to go see them. and thats why they didn't show.

and they released Damnation and Deliverance simultaneously. They were paid for only one album. double the work half the pay. how many bands would go through with that?

Nichtsicher said:
Well firstly they have on numerous occasions said that they dont do it for the money.

However, I dont beleive that this is the main intention of why they do it (Look at their history).
irrelevant
i r r e l e v a n t

completely irrelevant

their intentions are irrelevant

they may CREATE music for music's sake... but that's IRRELEVANT

they SELL their music, for PROFIT, to support themselves profesionally and to make a living... that's the bottom line in their decision to SELL their music: money... regardless of why they're actually making the music

once again, it's business

Nichtsicher said:
Oh I totally disagree with your ideas. As I said earlier this is the exact mentality that has been placed on the mainstream music industry today (wether or not this has been the case throughout history I don't know). As soon as you call something a business it then entails that it's bottom line is to get as much profit as possible. It's not art, it's profit that is the main agenda. To say Opeth is a business is totally wrong. Sure they have signed to a major reccord label, but Mikael has pointed out numerous times that they make music for themselves and if others enjoy that, well thats good to. You can't say Opeth is in it for the money otherwise as Peter has also said, they could have done that a long time ago. Sure money is an aspect, but it's not the bottom line.

You make very great points. Along those lines, they get paid for there peformance, i.e. record sales, ticket sales. The better music/product that they produce, the more money they make. How can you fault someone for something like that?

Opeth imo is the best live band I have ever seen, and I never said that they sold out. All I am saying is that they are a band that is a business. They have agents and managers that direct them in the way they need to be guided. I think people here equate being a business as a bad thing. It is not.

Opeth is a business. Period. But as Mix says, it's NOT a bad thing. It's just a group of guys being able to live off what they love doing.

Nicht, charities are regarded as a form of business but their main ojective is not to profit, it is to help those in need, whether it's starving children or homeless people. Opeth is similar in that their main objective is not to make profit, but to make music and enjoy themselves doing it. But that doesn't mean they're no business.

Deliverence and Damnation were "Recorded" at the same time, two albums for the price of one...

Released on different date's, promoted at the same time after both released, see "Lamentations" DVD.

Opeth "Are" involved in the music biz, there's no escaping this fact, costs incur and have to be paid for, Mike has a wife and daughter ffs, they need his support.

The rest of the guys in Opeth are professional Muso's, they need an income from their work.

People just see bands on stage doing their thing, if you could see the logistics that get all this stuff together night after night you woudn't believe half of it, border controls, visa's, local income taxes and so on.

Give the guys a break, it's not all song and dance believe me, ask the road crews and tour manager's !!

House of Seance said:
irrelevant
i r r e l e v a n t

completely irrelevant

their intentions are irrelevant

they may CREATE music for music's sake... but that's IRRELEVANT

they SELL their music, for PROFIT, to support themselves profesionally and to make a living... that's the bottom line in their decision to SELL their music: money... regardless of why they're actually making the music

once again, it's business

This whole post is

i r r e l e v a n t

to the thread. No-one disputes what a business is or that parts of Opeth's activities constitute business activities. This whole issue stemmed from McGrafix's comment that Opeth needed to evolve and change on GR and did so, since that's what all businesses do: this is akin to suggesting they've sold out (which, according to McGrafix, is somehow not a bad thing). Your post doesn't say anything about this matter - your last comment - WHY they're making the music - is what this whole thread is about. Opeth writes music as a band/artist and sells it as a business. Final word.

MixGrafix said:
Listen all you whiny little bitches! It seems that the majority of people here are the best musicians in the world ..... I will still be a fan.

Yes, we ARE the best musicians in the world, and you are the biggest groupie in the world.

I dont know which is more pathetic. Your teenaged angst blurb of a post, or that fucking fathead avatar of yours. Change it before someone pukes and think twice before posting a pointless and boring topic - this thread is about 2 years too late.

I hope people know the difference between who is a whiny bitch here and who is not. If you whined about the music on GR, that is who I was talking to. And the listen you whiny little bitches thing....mostly it was used as an attention getter. LOL I guess it did that.

It was for the people who were not open-minded enough to see the amazing musicianship and the diversity of Opeth, and how they should exploit every ounce of that energy to making themselves as popular as possible. My buddy and I were chatting is that Opeth are probably the only band in metal to be able to pull off a Pat Metheny cover, a Messhugah cover, and a Whitesnake cover all flawlessly and in succession.

Listen. This whole post started with a few drinks. I know this is simply a forum, but it seems like over the last year it has degredaded into a whine fest. I can't remember who's post I was reading, but it was my reaction at the time, and what I said is what I meant. I am right? NO. Are you right? NO. So if my words got your panties in a bunch........

And if you dont like my avatar that is fine with me.

MixGrafix said:
The better music/product that they produce, the more money they make.
So I guess Ashlee Simpson must be a fuckin' Musical Genius capable of amazing musical compositions that lift the spirit and entrance the listener in it's marvelous aural splendour...........................:rolleyes: