Jimmy Kyle (acid bath)
Dave Lombardo (slayer)
Hans Rutten (the gathering)
Jason Roeder (neurosis)
Bill Ward (black sabbath)
Pete Sandoval (morbid angel)
Tim Alexander (primus)
Matt Cameron(soundgarden)

drum triggers are not necessarily cheating.....they just even out the sound.

its not suprising people list metal drummers when you're on a forum dedicated to a METAL band is it?

Im not knowlegeable enough to know who is the best (im sure there comes a point were there is little between any drummer in terms of tech ability, its diversity and inovation that really separate drummers).

I enjoy listening to the following metal drummers:

Lombardo
Reinheart
Lopez
Barker (check out his cymbal work, its really different)
Hoglan
Nevermore's drummer
Machine Heads drummer (nice "tribal" beats)

i used to think that sepultura's drummer was good until i heard the 2cD live album. he gets too carried away and plays too fast pulling the whole band out of shape - very poor indeed

of all time

6.Martin Lopez and Dan Swano-just couldn't decide.
5.Charlie Watts(Rolling Stones)-you just have to see him in action
4.Ringo Starr(The Beatles)-It's just Ringo
3.Joey Jordisson(Slipknot)-the man is a fucking machine when his drumming upsidedown without missing a beat
2.Dave Lombardo(Slayer+several Mike Patton bands)-simply amazing
1.Mike Portnoy

Gene Hoglan(Death,SYL.etc.)
Yanic Bercier(Quo Vadis)
Bobby Jarzombek(Riot,Spastic ink)
Richard Christy(Death,Control Denied)
Pete Sandoval(Morbid Angel)
Inferno(Behemoth)
Dave Lombardo(Slayer)
Mike Smith(Suffocation)
Hannes(Necrophagist)
Sean Reinart(Cynic)
Martin Lopez(Opeth)
Flo Mounier(Cryptosy)
Donald Tardy(Obituary)
Asgeir Mickelson(Vintersorg,Borknagar)

Names When i first think of....

NineFeetUnderground said:
^ you gathered that eh? probably because this forum is flooded with retarded pre-teen metalhead ignoramuses who have not NEARLY the required knowledge and taste to even have an opinion on a subject like "top 5 ANYTHING of all time".

this thread + the people in it = absolutely embarrassing.

Well, I'm way past my pre-teens, I have very wide musical taste (from metal to ambient, prog, folk, idm, funk, rock, classical, swing etc.) and I consider myself quite open-minded. My list of drummers, however, consists mostly of metal drummers. That's because these things are subjective, and I generally prefer the style of metal drummers to jazz drummers, for example. You can't tell others who to include in their favourites. I understand that some people don't know enough drummers to make a list that seems comprehensive to you, but I'm quite sure no one has heard every drummer on the planet.

But I still think Lars Ulrich should not be on anyone's list :)

NineFeetUnderground said:
^ you gathered that eh? probably because this forum is flooded with retarded pre-teen metalhead ignoramuses who have not NEARLY the required knowledge and taste to even have an opinion on a subject like "top 5 ANYTHING of all time".

this thread + the people in it = absolutely embarrassing.

I might not agree with you on Paatos but I definitely agree with you here.

giuseppe orlando
ed warby, esp. for his work on ayreon

and ringo starr is great too - but you have to look at it in an historical perspective. it's like saying einstein is smarter then newton, because his work is more advanced. DOH. There's historical development inbetween...

Threads as this one always ends like always....

Well...

I like

Akiro Jimbo (Insane)
Jojo Meyer (Really funny)
Matte Modin (Dark Funeral, Defleshed...i like his tight fast drumming)
Peter Wildoer (Always impresses me with his stuff with Darkane)

Of course there are alot of good drummers....i am most into metal so i probably miss alot of drummers.

Drum triggers aren't cheating at all.
Pros- No matter how hard you hit, it will be the same sound
Cons- You have to be extremely accurate because everything will be heard.

The extreme drummers that use triggers use them to make their high speed double bass alot clearer in the mix and to produce a unique drum sound. There's nothing wrong with that.

AnTz0r said:
and ringo starr is great too - but you have to look at it in an historical perspective. it's like saying einstein is smarter then newton, because his work is more advanced. DOH. There's historical development inbetween...

Actually, there were many drummers during and before Starr's time, who were amazing even if referred to today's standards. But let's not start arguing, some like his style, and I don't. Simple as that.

AnTz0r said:
giuseppe orlando
ed warby, esp. for his work on ayreon

Are you kidding, thats terrible reasoning, so many drummers from before and during Ringo's time crush him, he's actually really shitty, how about Buddy Rich anyone? Maybe Steve Gadd, possibly Bozzio?????

Minion520 said:
Are you kidding, thats terrible reasoning, so many drummers from before and during Ringo's time crush him, he's actually really shitty, how about Buddy Rich anyone? Maybe Steve Gadd, possibly Bozzio?????

IMO, Buddy Rich could just about whoop any drummer during his time. I saw a video where he was laughing and drumming like a maniac effortlessly.

1. Martin Lopez (he's so original, and he's in Opeth)
2. Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta, originality...)
3. John Bonham (Zeppelin)
4. Neil Peart (Rush)
5. Danny Carey (Tool)

haha, besides Opeth and Death im not really a die-hard death metal fan. Opeth arent death metal but in a nutshell. you get it. i just appreciate amazing musicianship, and Opeth are the kings of it.