Top 5 Drummers of all time

In no particular order...

George Kollias- Nile(way better than Laureno)
Tim Yeung- Hate Eternal(pushing the grindcore envelope that much farther)
Daniel Erlandson- Arch Enemy(more tightness than that douchebag from LOG)
Gene Hoglan- SYL(motherfuckin accuracy!)
Dave Lombardo- Slayer(and like... one of the testament albums)
Jon Tempesta- Rob Zombie(also impressed the shit outta me on that Testament album)

...and that kid from the Black Dahlia Murder... apparently, he's only 19.

preachsin said:
Mike Portnoy.. end of list. The original 5 that were posted must be a joke. Might as well put Meg White on there..

yeah... but he cheats.

Most musicians out there weren't music instructors to begin with. Dream Theater bored me after Change of Seasons.

Zivilyn said:
It's astounding to me that a lot of Opeth fans seem to think music was invented in 1990. Come on, some Neil Fucking Peart anybody?
Right on man! Neil is the first person I thought of. I think alot of these Opeth fans were born in 1990.

favorite ones:

richard christy
sean reinert
m.lo
van williams
the guy who drummed on elements by atheist

at least 3/5 technical metal i guess. i appreciate original drumming i think but i dont really know anything about drums so i cant even dare to judge who are the best. + there are so many drummers i dont know (especially all those jazz drummers) that it wouldnt make any sense whatsoever

5.Martin Lopez(You Know)
4.Dave Lombardo(Slayer)
3.Pete Sandoval(MORBID ANGEL)/Hellhammer(Mayhem) they tied.
2.George Kollias(Nile)
1.FLO MOUNIER(Cryptopsy) just listen to the polyrythms on the new album.....Youll see why.

Silent Song said:
I hope you all realize that 90% of those drummers would get slain by Jazz drummers.
We have winner!

Though I will say I like listening to (last three can play jazz well):

Peart
Hoglan
Lopez
Reinert
Weckl
Chambers

Oh, and Ulrich is a disgrace to drumming.

That's because they're jazz drummers

I can't believe I've just read six pages on drummers and not one person has mentioned Vinnie Colauita - a man widely regarded as the greatest drummer of all time (and rightly so). The man defies belief.

Others:

Dave Weckl
Bill Ward
Virgil Donati
Dennis Chambers
Carter Beauford
Terry Bozzio
Billy Cobham
Steve Gadd

But Vinnie reigns supreme

Everyone thinks that most jazz musicians are super virtuosos at their instruments and are unbeatable and metal musicians are inferior. That's really lack of knowledge.

The most virtuos musicians that I've heard are either in Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation or Opeth. I've never heard a jazz musician do what the others can't.

Not to mention the lack of great jazz vocalists, we have Buckley, Gildenlöw or even (or especially?) Mariah Carey for that.

Jazz characteristics are improvisation, which requires having had a lot of musical theory and polyrhythmics.

Portnoy for example, has no idea what music needs, thus he is inferior to most jazz musicians. But take a look at Mournier or Lopez, they are frickin geniuses, able to play highly complex polyrhythms, they fuse several genres (especially Lopez) perfectly, they do know, what a song needs etc.

By the way: Johan Langell merely plays what D. Gildenlöw tells him to play. I'd say Gildenlöw is the better drummer.

My list:

1.Lopez
2.D. Gildenlöw
3.Mournier
4.Danny Carey
5.PTree dude (So called friend is ingenius)

Fuck it man, Portnoy, Lopez, Lombardo, Donati, and DEFINTELY NOT ULRICH!
Even if the Danish fiend COULD play drums, he's a fucking moron cunt, and damn annoying.

EVH316 said:
That's because they're jazz drummers

I can't believe I've just read six pages on drummers and not one person has mentioned Vinnie Colauita - a man widely regarded as the greatest drummer of all time (and rightly so). The man defies belief.

Others:

Dave Weckl
Bill Ward
Virgil Donati
Dennis Chambers
Carter Beauford
Terry Bozzio
Billy Cobham
Steve Gadd

But Vinnie reigns supreme

Great list there. But they are all so good that only God could tell us who is the better drummer. I am not tallented enough to.
I like Chris Pennie from Dillinger Escape Plan too.

KalidonTX said:
I always thought that alot of Black Metal bands used Drum Machines...
a fat guy like barker to me doesnt look to have the stamina.
The new Nile Album has a guy named Jon and he is very fast, more so the blastbeats or whatever but it was pretty fast to my ears.

The drummer who performed on the new nile album is named GEORGE KOLLIAS..... and yes im a nile fanboy