Traditional Doom Metal

Has anyone heard The Lamp of Thoth's 2013 demo?

Glad to see that they're getting back to writing music for that project instead of just Arkham Witch.

I have the full length which is great if a bit long. Arkham Witch is basically just the Lamp anyway with some hard rock songs and a random running wild song thrown in occasionally. Unless something has changed I don't think they're releasing anything else as TLoT??? Last I heard they were rereleasing their demos as "Get Thothed" under the Arkham Witch name.

I dunno, Arkham Witch just isn't the same thing as TLOT. Too much of the hard rock, not enough doom.

I thought that was the case too, but there was a demo recorded apparently in 2013 and released very early 2014.

Has anyone heard the new Magister Templi? Lucifer Leviathan Logos was excellent. It always takes Cruz del sur releases forever to hit stateside tho. Gotta keep an eye on shadow kingdom I guess.

Ah okay. The Rev has plenty of songs that drag out too long themselves. I know it's not an overly metal thing to do but RevBiz and TLoT are at their best for me when they get you singing along with them. Doom Over the World, Cromwell, By This Axe I Rule!, I Love the Lamp, and Witchcraft & The Law are some of my favorite doom metal singalongs ever and contribute greatly to the bands sticking in my mind.

i absolutely love the rev biz debut but never got into the others as much. the second one's fine but too self-consciously doom and singalongy for my tastes i think. i feel like i need to give the third one more time but it does feel overlong.

TLOT only has a few songs on Portents that I find over long: The House and Victorian Wizard (but I can forgive this one because at the last 4 minutes is the best the album has to offer.)

and yeah I'd give SLS another go - as huge an album as it is its highs are worth it.

Bingeing on Skepticism and Esoteric lately,I had an experience with The Maniacal Vale after a few days up on party drugs which is probably the most extreme listening experience I've had,for some reason these two bands especially seem to be my favourite bands lately and I think they're as close to genius as it gets in the metal world,but both very different.Im keen to get home soon after weeks away working so I can spin the new Skepticism,My Dying Bride and Ahab.

Harbinger of Metal and Crush the Insects are my favorites.

SLS is OK. I'd be fine just having They Used Dark Forces and Caesar Forever on one CD. The ending of Caesar Forever should have ended the album...and their career. What an ending...