Traditional Doom Metal

Hmm. I don't really know what to say about that, but I'm glad you see no musical resemblance.
That would be a weird paradox within my musical taste if true, since I really can't stand stoner doom.

Why can't you? If you can stand slow doom, what is so different about stoner?

I'm honestly curious about this. I have sort of the opposite problem tbh. I like stoner doom, but not (most) regular doom. In theory we should both like both, if we like one?

I do feel like to enjoy stoner doom you have to have been a stoner or at least experimental with drugs at some point in your life. Listening to Electric Wizard totally calls back some feelings/moods I had while high years ago.

I used to enjoy some of it, but over the years I've just come to despise it. Does absolutely zero for me.
Maybe there is some parallel with my taste in thrash metal too, since I tend to hate the bouncy party thrash stuff. I feel like there's a seriousness lacking in both that kind of thrash metal and stoner doom.

I'm sure there are some exceptions though, for instance I still like a few Electric Wizard records, like Come My Fanatics and Witchcult Today.

Also, like you said, being a user of certain drugs probably helps and I've never been a stoner myself, always been more of a beer and bang my head kind of lad, I like to hear the NWOBHM influences in traditional doom metal. Staring at the ceiling high as fuck while a riff stolen from a Bloodrock record makes me contemplate whether aliens built the pyramids or not holds no interest for me.

Reactions: Master_Yoda77
I used to enjoy some of it, but over the years I've just come to despise it. Does absolutely zero for me.
Maybe there is some parallel with my taste in thrash metal too, since I tend to hate the bouncy party thrash stuff. I feel like there's a seriousness lacking in both that kind of thrash metal and stoner doom.

I'm sure there are some exceptions though, for instance I still like a few Electric Wizard records, like Come My Fanatics and Witchcult Today.

I can understand that. Though stoner doom is more serious than party thrash on the whole I think. Come My Fanatics is one of my favorite albums in the genre. Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend is another. Also Ancestors - Of Sound Mind, and Ufomammut - Ecate are worth checking out. These are all more serious in tone and a bit progressive.

Reactions: CiG
Those are all albums I used to really appreciate, especially Ufomammut in general. I think for my money, the perfect blend of stoner and traditional is Ogre.

I agree though, stoner doom is definitely much more serious in tone compared with party thrash, I think in the end it can be a very fine line, Wino dips in and out of stoner and traditional doom and so in that way I'm not absolutist in this. I've just noticed a very slow change in what I find palatable over the years. The first band to go by the wayside for me was Sleep.

Reactions: Baroque
Stoner is an element of the 90s with stuff like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Electric Wizard, and the like. I happen to enjoy all of those bands but Ogre has very little to do with them.

Perhaps I'm drunk but I'd be willing to argue that the genre didn't even exist until those bands came around.

Stoner doom may have started in the 1990's and I'm not even saying otherwise, after all Ogre are a 90's band, but what I mean is to my ears stoner doom is doom metal that leans heavily on the headier influences of the 1970's. Stoner rock does the same thing in the rock genre.

I would listen to any music by Witchfinder General that isn't their reunion album. That one was pretty lame and it had one of the worst vocalists that I've ever heard.

I would listen to any music by Witchfinder General that isn't their reunion album. That one was pretty lame and it had one of the worst vocalists that I've ever heard.

Zeeb Parkes forever.

Ah, yeah, I see what you are saying. That is not how I'd classify the genre as I feel that most traditional doom metal is heavily influenced from bands in the 70s.

I wouldn't say heavily, but certainly they're influenced by the 1970's. I think the major difference is that stoner doom isn't really at all influenced by the 1980's.

lol I dont like the genre so it's terrible. Never understood why of all people the ones that listen to metal act like that.

I've got a Church of Misery album that sums it up pretty well on the inside of the back insert.

"Fuck stoner doom. Fuck genre labels. Fuck you."

Reactions: Master_Yoda77