US 2008 Paradise Lost Tour

Well, technically they also played Death of Balance... so we didn't really get one less song. Seeing as I hadn't seen anything from V on their setlists lately I was pretty happy they pulled Egypt out for us.

Ah, of course, that's right. That was great. It was just the first half of it, but it was perfect.

Alrighty, I'll try and do a brief (brief for me) review of the Cambridge show last night.

First off, I thought both Into Eternity and Epica were pretty weak. I had not heard anything by Epica but based on their rep I was expecting a lot more in terms of presentation, performance, and songwriting. They were VERY riffy (the first song especially has that one riff that repeated a million times), and I think they were of the impression that those riffs were more interesting than they actually were. I also felt the dirty male vox added nothing to any of their songs and they should just stick with female vox. I will say, however, that Epica illustrated a point I have been trying to make for quite some time - metal sounds better when you turn the volume down. Into Eternity was up so loud you couldn't make out anything aside from very obvious rhythmic stops and starts. Epica let the volume sit at a reasonable level, which was just as powerful and effective, but you could actually hear the notes and chord changes. They also did a nice job with the levels of the keyboard player. Still though, their songwriting did nothing for me, between the first two bands Epica had the only memorable song with the one that had the good chorus that went 'forever... and ever'. Other than that, nothing worth noting.

Okay, Symphony X. First off I agree completely with a couple of prior posts that Russell was dead on and kicking ass - probably vocally the best I have heard him in 5 or so trips. The sound was overall improved, partly due to the venue not being the dreaded Palladium, and partly due to the new sound guy. I thought at times Romeo's rhythm tone was a little bit dry and his solos could have come up more in the mix - I'd lose what was going on in them at times. There were glimpses of having Pinnella at the right level when they boosted him for an important part, but then they chickened out and dragged him back down and buried him in the mix. Keys can have more presence than people realize - guitars cut naturally, keys do not. This was especially an issue during Smoke and Mirrors, where the verse and chorus on guitar are really ancillary to the keyboard chords, but I could not hear the keys whatsoever. Plus, MJR taking over a few of MP's solos was annoying - everyone loves MP, and when he has a chance in a song to solo I want to hear it. His solos in Smoke and Mirrors are two of my favorites ever and MJR took over one and then the other was completely buried.

Anyway, overall quite a good show. If I had my druthers I would have edited out a lot of the Paradise Lost material (it was funny Russ said they were going to do some old/rare songs, and then did purely new stuff or truly typical old songs only). However, the set list was generally appropriate for the venue and crowd, which I have said before for these little metal clubs. One day I want to see X come around and do venues with chairs (not for the sake of chairs, but because that sort of venue lets you do far more mid-tempo and complicated songs without losing the crowd). Even Egypt, which I thought was one of the best performed and best sounding pieces of the night, seemed to lose the crowd a bit. I liked Russ's on stage persona and presentation, but I think he underestimates how much that Patriots loss is a sore spot here ;) . Very lucky most metal fans are not die hard sports fans - that is a very tender subject. Highlights of the night were Death of Balance (which was so in the pocket it was sick), Masquerade, and Set the World on Fire. I thought the only really low spot was Revelation, which was utterly terrible live. I was there with my girlfriend (fan but not die hard fan) and my brother (casual fan) and all three of us independently came to the fact that that piece was terrible live. I wish I had gotten to see Through the Looking Glass because I have seen Egypt/Death before so the only new old song was Masquerade. It was worth dealing with Inferno again to hear them FINALLY NAIL THE INTRO!!! While I am completely sick of that song, they did knock it out of the park. I was glad to see Sea of Lies gone cause it is boring live and I've seen it a billion times. Too bad time did not allow for Out of the Ashes to creep into the encore. So, nice job overall, and man is it evident how the fan base is growing and becoming more die hard with every tour. I believe this show sold out - X will be moving up to the larger venues soon enough.

P.S. had I thought of it I would have warned the band about how damn hot that clubs gets. When I performed with my 80s metal band in avatar gettup there, I was more puddle than person by the end. Thanks for the water bottles.

Alrighty, I'll try and do a brief (brief for me) review of the Cambridge show last night.

First off, I thought both Into Eternity and Epica were pretty weak. I had not heard anything by Epica but based on their rep I was expecting a lot more in terms of presentation, performance, and songwriting. They were VERY riffy (the first song especially has that one riff that repeated a million times), and I think they were of the impression that those riffs were more interesting than they actually were. I also felt the dirty male vox added nothing to any of their songs and they should just stick with female vox. I will say, however, that Epica illustrated a point I have been trying to make for quite some time - metal sounds better when you turn the volume down. Into Eternity was up so loud you couldn't make out anything aside from very obvious rhythmic stops and starts. Epica let the volume sit at a reasonable level, which was just as powerful and effective, but you could actually hear the notes and chord changes. They also did a nice job with the levels of the keyboard player. Still though, their songwriting did nothing for me, between the first two bands Epica had the only memorable song with the one that had the good chorus that went 'forever... and ever'. Other than that, nothing worth noting.

Okay, Symphony X. First off I agree completely with a couple of prior posts that Russell was dead on and kicking ass - probably vocally the best I have heard him in 5 or so trips. The sound was overall improved, partly due to the venue not being the dreaded Palladium, and partly due to the new sound guy. I thought at times Romeo's rhythm tone was a little bit dry and his solos could have come up more in the mix - I'd lose what was going on in them at times. There were glimpses of having Pinnella at the right level when they boosted him for an important part, but then they chickened out and dragged him back down and buried him in the mix. Keys can have more presence than people realize - guitars cut naturally, keys do not. This was especially an issue during Smoke and Mirrors, where the verse and chorus on guitar are really ancillary to the keyboard chords, but I could not hear the keys whatsoever. Plus, MJR taking over a few of MP's solos was annoying - everyone loves MP, and when he has a chance in a song to solo I want to hear it. His solos in Smoke and Mirrors are two of my favorites ever and MJR took over one and then the other was completely buried.

Anyway, overall quite a good show. If I had my druthers I would have edited out a lot of the Paradise Lost material (it was funny Russ said they were going to do some old/rare songs, and then did purely new stuff or truly typical old songs only). However, the set list was generally appropriate for the venue and crowd, which I have said before for these little metal clubs. One day I want to see X come around and do venues with chairs (not for the sake of chairs, but because that sort of venue lets you do far more mid-tempo and complicated songs without losing the crowd). Even Egypt, which I thought was one of the best performed and best sounding pieces of the night, seemed to lose the crowd a bit. I liked Russ's on stage persona and presentation, but I think he underestimates how much that Patriots loss is a sore spot here ;) . Very lucky most metal fans are not die hard sports fans - that is a very tender subject. Highlights of the night were Death of Balance (which was so in the pocket it was sick), Masquerade, and Set the World on Fire. I thought the only really low spot was Revelation, which was utterly terrible live. I was there with my girlfriend (fan but not die hard fan) and my brother (casual fan) and all three of us independently came to the fact that that piece was terrible live. I wish I had gotten to see Through the Looking Glass because I have seen Egypt/Death before so the only new old song was Masquerade. It was worth dealing with Inferno again to hear them FINALLY NAIL THE INTRO!!! While I am completely sick of that song, they did knock it out of the park. I was glad to see Sea of Lies gone cause it is boring live and I've seen it a billion times. Too bad time did not allow for Out of the Ashes to creep into the encore. So, nice job overall, and man is it evident how the fan base is growing and becoming more die hard with every tour. I believe this show sold out - X will be moving up to the larger venues soon enough.

P.S. had I thought of it I would have warned the band about how damn hot that clubs gets. When I performed with my 80s metal band in avatar gettup there, I was more puddle than person by the end. Thanks for the water bottles.

I agree with most of your comments. I dont think Revelation was bad live, I enjoyed it, and I definitely wouldnt say Sea of Lies is "boring live", but I didnt miss it because this was my 6th or 7th time seein them and they played it every single time. I thought it was cool that they did some more PL material, I was shocked that Eve of Seduction was left off the setlist in 07 so it was great to finally see it live. The sound is always not the best at Symph X shows simply because the band is so loud, but I find that if you wanna REALLY hear Romeo's solos clearly you need to kinda plug your ears during them, it looks funny but every note comes through clear as a bell. I did that for the solos i really wanted to make sure I heard precisely (sins and shadows, smoke and mirrors, inferno, etc).

I'm really glad they dropped Sea of Lies. It's a good song, but it's overplayed.

If they continue to switch Egypt/DOB and Looking Glass every other night, we should get Looking Glass in Mokena! Woohoo!

I'm really glad they dropped Sea of Lies. It's a good song, but it's overplayed.

If they continue to switch Egypt/DOB and Looking Glass every other night, we should get Looking Glass in Mokena! Woohoo!

It will be interesting to see if the pattern continues. I can't make the Mokena show so I am hitting the Tampa show, which would also get Looking Glass on the current pattern.

I was at the Cambridge show and it was... amazing!!! What an incredible show. The band looked like they were having an awesome time and the crowd was totally into it. Their sound sucked ass last year at the Palladium but it was so clear this time! You could hear MR's solos perfectly, and that being said, I totally take back anything I said about Smoke and Mirrors live... when you can actually discern the sweep picking at the beginning it kicks ass.

And they played Egypt! I've wanted to see that song live forever. Didn't seem like the crowd was amazingly into it, but it was definitely one of the highlights. Once again Babylon absolutely slayed and I thought Revelation was good too. Hope they switch it up again next time they come around though (like keep 5 of the same songs haha).

Epica were soooo boring, but for a replacement singer, she did a really good job. Into Eternity was also great but I didn't feel like everyone was feeling it.

I really have a feeling that the venue was NOT expecting a metal show haha... but overall it was an intimate, intense show; one of the best I've seen!!

I can see a band like Into Eternity opening for SymX tho... there is a crossover crowd for sure. Maybe there is a shortage of appropriate power/prog bands to open for those tours when they come around Seattle?
Nope, we've got plenty to satisfy tours like that.
I dunno, I guess maybe they assume that progressive metal fans might be somewhat opened minded to other types of metal/music, as long as it shares some basic common values such as somewhat strong musicianship or not having breakdowns. I guess they obviously are wrong though, since all openers must sound like a downgraded version of SX I guess?

It has to do with the fact that venues get local bands to help bring people into the show by selling tickets. How many local progressive/power metal bands do you know that even exist in your local scene, let alone any that are actually good or can draw anything. Personally, I like diversity with my music and shows I see (which is why this tour is awesome having into eternity and epica).
No need to be pissy. I play in a true metal band and i don't think we'd be appropriate to open for Dimmu or Cannibal Corpse or Amon Amarth... point is that while it doesn't have to be a symx ripoff, at least get it in the ballpark.

And i know about the whole politics behind it. I deal with it enough. I understand the concept of variety and such, but i can't see complaining or getting offended when you're a completely different style as the bill and people don't respond well to your band.

I was at the tour opener last night... the best time i've seen the X bar none. The live version of Through the Looking Glass is absolutely breathe taking. I am really glad that they are whipping out a few different tunes for this tour. And I was in one of the "shitty" local bands playing before X...the one with the keyboardist on the mainstage, heh Well I guess I am seeing them in boston tonight too.... now i must hear some OUT OF THE ASHES!

oh, and the venue ALWAYS has extra tickets for a "sold out" show...just get them early

Actually yours was the best. (in my opinion the opening bands increasingly got better)

Who were you on stage?

Just got back from NYC...set was as follows (pretty sure it's in order):

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set the World On Fire
Domination
Serpents Kiss
Masquerade
Paradise Lost
Through the Looking Glass
Inferno
Walls of Babylon
Smoke and Mirrors
Revelation/Divine Wings Pt. 7
----
Eve of Seduction
Of Sins And Shadows

The show was totally awesome and it was one of the best times I've seen them.

Yeah, the Sonata bill here was also abysmal. I know that it's all a numbers game, which bands can pull in the most people, but fucking seriously why not at least *try* to make the openers match the headliners? Such bullshit, like i said it happens all the time in seattle. Personally, i don't give a shit to get my band on these bills... i'd love to open for bands like Helloween and Gamma Ray, but it's not going to ruin my life if it doesn't happen. I just don't want to put up with death and black metal and brocore opening these shows i really want to see. Likewise, i wouldn't want a prog band opening up a black metal show. It's fucking insanely retarded.

lol just out of curiosity what is brocore?

Just got back from NYC...set was as follows (pretty sure it's in order):

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set the World On Fire
Domination
Serpents Kiss
Masquerade
Paradise Lost
Through the Looking Glass
Inferno
Walls of Babylon
Smoke and Mirrors
Revelation/Divine Wings Pt. 7
----
Eve of Seduction
Of Sins And Shadows

The show was totally awesome and it was one of the best times I've seen them.

Cool dude. Exactly like our setlist here in Mass, but we got Egypt/Death of Balance instead of Through The Looking Glass. I dont think walls of babylon was on the Connecticut setlist (the first show of the US leg). They did it here in Mass and the response was just incredible, so now I think they'll probably be doing it at every show. Cool to know that we sorta forced it on there with our energy ;)

Words cannot describe how fuckin' awesome Looking Glass was last night.

And speaking of that song, are any of the members of Sym X actually Giants fans? Or was Russ just saying that for New York?.

I was at the Cambridge show as well. Sound wise it was great and I was right up front against the barricade.

Thumbs down to the crowd who thought it was ok to push forward the whole show. I literally had ppl forcing me up against the barricade to the point i had entire weight of others on my back.

Finally I got pissed off, and starting pushing everyone backwards. I felt bad for the 2 dudes directly behind me as they seemed worried I was going to deck them, when I know it wasnt there fault, it was a chain reaction.

Theres no need to push forward on someone else. I swear I ever see the actual people who do this they will have broken jaws.

I'm making the 3 hour drive from State College into Philly pretty soon, tonight's show is going to rock! Hoping for another awesome turnout and crossing my fingers for Looking Glass and Out of the Ashes.:headbang:

Cool dude. Exactly like our setlist here in Mass, but we got Egypt/Death of Balance instead of Through The Looking Glass. I dont think walls of babylon was on the Connecticut setlist (the first show of the US leg). They did it here in Mass and the response was just incredible, so now I think they'll probably be doing it at every show. Cool to know that we sorta forced it on there with our energy ;)

I definitely hope they continue to do Walls Of Babylon! I would much rather hear that than Sea Of Lies.

New York show owned. No need to post a big review, SymX are at the top of their game. And honestly, it makes me so happy to see my favorite band go from playing in the back of a motorcycle showroom in front of around 150 people back in 2001 to headlining the Nokia fucking theater in Times Square. Too awesome.