USA hockey out of contention

ahelnew90.jpg

"I will break you."

ZING.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Lundqvist >> Nittymaki, btw

(and I'm entirely basing that on performance to date in the NHL, just so you know...)

I'll give you that so far, BUT...

Nittymaki >> Lundqvist

(and I'm entirely basing that on performance in the Olympics on the world stage where the spotlight has been even greater so far)

7-0 with 5 shutouts, including Canada and Russia.

Tomorrow will be a nice measuring stick for sure. ;)

I will say this as well, Lundqvist has no one with a fat contract breathing down his neck the way Nittymaki does with Esche. Kevin Weekes??? Puhhhlease. Hopefully, the performance of both in the Olympics will convince the Flyers who the main man between the pipes should indeed be.

BTW, I'm looking forward to years' worth of battles between them. :kickass:

Dark One said:
I'll give you that so far, BUT...

Nittymaki >> Lundqvist

(and I'm entirely basing that on performance in the Olympics on the world stage where the spotlight has been even greater so far)

7-0 with 5 shutouts, including Canada and Russia.

Tomorrow will be a nice measuring stick for sure. ;)

I will say this as well, Lundqvist has no one with a fat contract breathing down his neck the way Nittymaki does with Esche. Kevin Weekes??? Puhhhlease. Hopefully, the performance of both in the Olympics will convince the Flyers who the main man between the pipes should indeed be.

BTW, I'm looking forward to years' worth of battles between them. :kickass:

NHL > Olympics

[/over]

I can't disagree there...

But just for the record, here are Lundqvist & Nittymaki's year-to-date NHL numbers (leader in bold):

Lundqvist: 40 games, 25wins (tied for 7th overall), 7 losses, 2.09 GAA (tied for 2nd overall), .927 SVP (leads NHL overall)

Niittymaki: 34 games, 18 wins, 10 losses, 2.95 GAA, .896 SVP

Not even close, really.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I can't disagree there...

But just for the record, here are Lundqvist & Nittymaki's year-to-date NHL numbers (leader in bold):

Lundqvist: 40 games, 25wins (tied for 7th overall), 7 losses, 2.09 GAA (tied for 2nd overall), .927 SVP (leads NHL overall)

Niittymaki: 34 games, 18 wins, 10 losses, 2.95 GAA, .896 SVP

Not even close, really.

I know, that's why I said, "I'll give you that". Though 40 and 34 games is hardly enough time to give a true comparison and the Flyers have had a TON of injuries this year. A few bad games in 34 is certainly enough to skew those numbers as well.

But again, the mark of a true clutch goaltender is coming up big when it matters most, so we will indeed see. For example, Grant Fuhr in the playoffs >>>> Grant Fuhr in the regular season. Grant Fuhr = Legend.

EDIT - I've seen this kid play live on multiple occassions as well, and while taking nothing away from what Lundqvist had done in a short period of time, this kid is extremely talented.

Dark One said:
But again, the mark of a true clutch goaltender is coming up big when it matters most, so we will indeed see. For example, Grant Fuhr in the playoffs >>>> Grant Fuhr in the regular season. Grant Fuhr = Legend.

Oh, absolutely. Not only do I agree with the Fuhr analogy, but really, no one is truly "great" until they perform at that same level during crunch time, i.e. the playoffs.

EDIT - I've seen this kid play live on multiple occassions as well, and while taking nothing away from what Lundqvist had done in a short period of time, this kid is extremely talented.

I'm not saying Niittymaki isn't talented, I'm just saying that Lundqvist is THE goalie of the future, and he has shown this at every possible level he's played at. He dominated the Swedish Elite League during the lockout (playing against more top-level NHL players than any other Euro league). In fact, the Swedish Elite League has long been considered the 2nd-best pro league in the world, behind the NHL. He's dominated the NHL so far, in his rookie season, and is going to be a finalist for both the Calder & Vezina Trophies this year, mark my words. And while he hasn't had the unreal Olympics that Niittymaki has, he's still be pretty spectacular. In other words, he's been great (or better) at every level he's ever played to date.

I've seen Lundqvist 5x live already this year. He's absolutely the real deal. But you're right, we will see come playoff time. Hell, we'll see on Thursday night, March 2. :Smokedev:

/\ /\

Good post, you present your case for Lundqvist extremely well. I do think that the Olympics hold a high degree of weight as well. There is a ton of importance placed on winning that gold medal and I don't think that the majority of NHLers involved see it as a side competition by any means. I guarantee you it means a lot more to them than the grind of the regular season.

Nittymaki has also had his fair share of accolades. He led the AHL (not exactly a cakewalk league) Philadelphia Phantoms to the title during the lost NHL season, winning Playoff MVP honors in the process.

Anyway, obviously it will be difficult to make a wholly fair assessment about who is the best until a few years down the road. This season, Lundqvist indeed has better regular season numbers.

Bring on tomorrow and bring on Thursday. You can bet, no matter what happens tomorrow, Thursday's game will be extremely important to both goalies. Should make for a great contest.

i would agree lundqvist has proven to be the better goalie so far, but in a tournament setting when you're on fire like niittymaki is that counts for a lot. should be quite the matchup :kickass: