Video game music

I haven't heard a soundtrack as wonderful as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's, it's the only one I've also ever bought... it's just awesome. Personally most other game soundtracks do not compare to it... Actually, most of the recent Castlevania games have had great music I thnk... I've been enjoying playing Lament of Innocence lately and wished there was a commercially available soundtrack for it...

Has anyone else been listening to a song and thought that a riff in it sounded like a Mega Man song? It has happened to me with a few bands (Änglagård and Agalloch if I recall). Or any other video games?

ahhh...no game had such a disturbing impact on me like Silent Hill 2...I can still vividly remeber walking down the endless staircase into hell, and who could forget the big conehead guy raping a bunch a manequins...good times.

Do any of you realize how gay you are for playing japanese RPGs? "Cloud"? "Final Fantasy"? Come on guys, show a little perspective! You sink hours into games starring anglicized "asians" with pink fucking hair strapped in bondage gear wielding ridiculously oversized weapons that are such an blatant phallic fetish for self-loathing pubescents...

No, youre right, that shit is awesome.

Justin S. said:
Do any of you realize how gay you are for playing japanese RPGs? "Cloud"? "Final Fantasy"? Come on guys, show a little perspective! You sink hours into games starring anglicized "asians" with pink fucking hair strapped in bondage gear wielding ridiculously oversized weapons that are such an blatant phallic fetish for self-loathing pubescents...

No, youre right, that shit is awesome.

:lol: the self-acceptance can only begin after an overture of self-loathing.

synergy said:
ahhh...no game had such a disturbing impact on me like Silent Hill 2...I can still vividly remeber walking down the endless staircase into hell, and who could forget the big conehead guy raping a bunch a manequins...good times.

I never played the 2nd one, but the first Silent Hill was mos def a fucking creepy game. christ, that and RE1 are excellent, creepy games.

Mega Man 3 totally owned Mega Man 2 in every way. It was way cooler, and the difficulty was a little more manageable. I think I can remember every theme in the game. Mega Man would make awesome metal songs. I remember how much Final Fantasy owned...I beat 1,2,3,4,6,7. The second and third were really great. I wish I was still like 15 or so and had time to play games like that anymore. Chrono Trigger was also great.

But FFVII...I never could get the damn chocobo breeding to work. Strategy guides and all, it just never worked. I loved that game so much.

It's really too bad that playing too much video games fries my brain so much. By the time I have the free time to play games, I'm going to have 20 years worth of games to catch up on at least.

It makes me sad that I will die without hearing much of the greatest music, playing the greatest games, or seeing the best movies. Every time I choose one, I have to sacrifice some of the others. sigh...

Longinus said:
I also think that FF8 was the best FF game. Music wise, however, I prefer FF7.

what the hell is wrong with you haha

no offense I thought FF8 was too easy/boring/bad story, I beat it in about 5 days playing like 5-8 hours a day, probably worst way to spend my time, oh except for watching Matrix Revolutions and Reloaded but thats off topic

FFVII!

Aerith's theme is beautiful..especially the orchestral version :)
Sephiroth's "One winged angel" theme is probably my favourite piece of video game music. The Orchestral is awesome. Really evil!

I don't know man.

I really enjoyed the locations in FF8. Deling City reminded me of Berlin a lot, then the obvious arc the triomphe rip off.. the attempt to assasinate Edea..awesome..
the gardens were all awesome locations, every city/dungeon was perfect

I also liked all the characters..Irvine..Zell, Squall... the card game, the villains, 'cept for Ultimatecia or whatever her name was.
Don't know, I could never think of Sephirot as a true villain, probably cause he looked like Lego.

I really, really liked the junction system. However, it's not perfect.

FFVII was much more tiring in my opinion. FFX is also a pretty excellent game. Very socio-critical too.

Longinus said:
I don't know man.

I really enjoyed the locations in FF8. Deling City reminded me of Berlin a lot, then the obvious arc the triomphe rip off.. the attempt to assasinate Edea..awesome..
the gardens were all awesome locations, every city/dungeon was perfect

I also liked all the characters..Irvine..Zell, Squall... the card game, the villains, 'cept for Ultimatecia or whatever her name was.
Don't know, I could never think of Sephiroth as a true villain, probably cause he looked like Lego.

I really, really liked the junction system. However, it's not perfect.

FFVII was much more tiring in my opinion. FFX is also a pretty excellent game. Very socio-critical too.
i agree.

there was a lot in 7 that i thought could have been expanded on or improved. it had the potential to be the greatest, but i think it fell short. the whole game seems unfinished. i'm sure (lets not even begin to debate it) that most of you have heard the various theories as to how/if aeris gets ressurrected. in the end this just doesn't happen, though there are hints that it might throughout the game. it seems like there was more planned, that just never happened.

FF7 pwns ff8 anyday. That story kicked ass. And what the hell was up with that gunblade stuff? I can't seriously be the only one who thought that lame compared to a dude with a massive sword nearly as big as himself.

FFVII is my fav ff game anyday, not because almost everyone prefers that one over most of them, i think its because it is what got me out of that gay ass pokemon shit since i got it for the comp like the day it came out

It doesn't really matter anymore. I used to hold a very strong opinion that FFVII was by far the best FF game, but it seems like a futile debate when Fallout 2 and Planescape - Torment blow any game ever made out of the water. Nothing ever created even matches up to these games in the slightest. You can't debate this... after you've played Torment, you'll feel like the entire FF series was geared towards toddlers... the intellectual scope just isn't anywhere as developed.

Speaking of which I think Fallout 2's use of Louis Armstrong's 'A Kiss to Build a Dream On' was pretty tasteful in context :)