Warning: Emo thread (or not)

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
So, me and my girlfriend of over two years broke up tonight. It wasn't particularly acrimonious - we just both felt like we'd changed to the point where we'd be better off as friends. The thing is, though, that I'm not sure I felt like that. In fact, I'm not sure I felt like anything. I've had some kind of sneaking suspicion that I'm actually a pretty emotionless person for over five years now, and my complete emotional blank slate after the breakup of my longest and most significant relationship is serving as further proof to me that I may be a fairly unbalanced individual.

I don't feel anything. Anything. We broke up less than an hour ago, and I'm sitting here typing this now. Not out of any particular desire to vent - more out of a sort of curiosity as to whether anyone thinks I might need some sort of professional help. This is the most major event to happen to me in a long time, and I feel nothing. It has caused me to call into question my responses to previous events, and on reflection, I feel that I've only responded in the way I recognise that I'm supposed to, rather than acting on any emotional impulse.

In short, I'm starting to wonder whether I might be some kind of sociopath.

Any thoughts as to whether I'm in shock and will get over it, or whether I should start booking therapy sessions now?

dill_the_devil said:
Any thoughts as to whether I'm in shock and will get over it, or whether I should start booking therapy sessions now?

well, you do watch soccer, so something is wrong with you. :dopey:

J. said:
well, you do watch soccer, so something is wrong with you. :dopey:

Well, tbh, this World Cup is the one I've watched the most of - and of this tournament, all I've really watched is the one England got knocked out of and the one we played before that (if that was the shitty 1-1 draw - I can't remember).

Reign Of Acai said:
Life goes on. Your subconscious is aware of this fact.

I'm not so sure - I'm convinced that my conscious is aware of it - to the point that fifteen minutes after it happened, I was thinking things like 'Well, my weekends are free now'. And that can't be right, surely, considering that I'd managed to convince the pair of us that I loved her... I dunno, man. Maybe there is something wrong with me.

For further emo points - this is the girl I lost my V-plates to. Surely I should be at least slightly bothered?

Wtf is a V-Plate? Sounds like some sort of orthodontic apparatus? Well sharing a retainer with a girl for 2 years can come with some deep emotional sentiment. I say just get over it and don't look back. Nothing is lamer than couples who break up after a couple years, then get back together again. Oh so you thought you could do better, then the smack of reality hit you in the face, so you run back to the direction in which you came? Fucking stupid! My ex-bint has been sending me love emails for the past fucking 2 years, and as a jolly roger I reply in a cordial fashion. Well until 2 weeks ago when I deleted my myspace account and she sent me this message.

Hi...
what happened to your account... and you deleted me?
Your leaving myspace?

This sucks.
I hate that you won't be my friend...
I know I deserve it.. Do you really hate me?
I know I don't deserve it... but I just wish you would trust me..
let me be your friend.
Be my friend...
I can't... imagine... you not being around in my life.. even if this is all you give me.
I fucked up.
I hope that you know just how much I care about you... still and always.
I don't care what you think... I can't help but care.
I messed up the greatest thing in my life.. and I've moved on because I had to.
I didnt die...
but I have regrets.
All I want... is you to be in my life.. even if just as a pen pal.
Give me a chance...
I swear.. I won't say things you don't want to hear.
life is too short.
Please...think about it.

Seriously What the Fuck?!?!? Do you wish to deal with this shit for the next 20 fallen full moons? Don't have remorse, leave your sentimentality at the fucking door and party my friend! You're FREEEEEEEEE!!!! :kickass:

Doomcifer said:
Well, you are feeling something. And you're turning it inward to yourself.

Spin it anyway you like.

I dunno, man - I know it's hard to imagine, but here's a rundown of everything I'm 'feeling' right now:

- I fancy having a cigarette out of the bedroom window
- I wouldn't mind a pizza
- I've got to give her copy of Nightwatch back at some point.

Reign In Acai said:
Wtf is a V-Plate? Sounds like some sort of orthodontic apparatus? Well sharing a retainer with a girl for 2 years can come with some deep emotional sentiment. I say just get over it and don't look back. Nothing is lamer than couples who break up after a couple years, then get back together again. Oh so you thought you could do better, then the smack of reality hit you in the face, so you run back to the direction in which you came? Fucking stupid! My ex-bint has been sending me love emails for the past fucking 2 years, and as a jolly roger I reply in a cordial fashion. Well until 2 weeks ago when I deleted my myspace account and she sent me this message.

Hi...
what happened to your account... and you deleted me?
Your leaving myspace?

This sucks.
I hate that you won't be my friend...
I know I deserve it.. Do you really hate me?
I know I don't deserve it... but I just wish you would trust me..
let me be your friend.
Be my friend...
I can't... imagine... you not being around in my life.. even if this is all you give me.
I fucked up.
I hope that you know just how much I care about you... still and always.
I don't care what you think... I can't help but care.
I messed up the greatest thing in my life.. and I've moved on because I had to.
I didnt die...
but I have regrets.
All I want... is you to be in my life.. even if just as a pen pal.
Give me a chance...
I swear.. I won't say things you don't want to hear.
life is too short.
Please...think about it.

Seriously What the Fuck?!?!? Do you wish to deal with this shit for the next 20 fallen full moons? Don't have remorse, leave your sentimentality at the fucking door and party my friend! You're FREEEEEEEEE!!!!

V-Plate = virginity.

My point is, I don't think I want to get back with her in a couple of years. I'm starting to question why I went out with her at all - no reflection on her, just questioning my own motivations. I'm not suffering from remorse, in fact I don't feel like I'm suffering at all - that's what's worrying me. Although 'worrying' isn't the right word - I'm sort of detachedly curious as to why I don't feel like I give a shit, even though I recognise on an intellectual level that I should.

Erik, feel free to call this the gayest thread you've ever seen once you come across it.

Right on. Just realize that the whole "friend" deal is complete bullshit and won't work. Sure it may seem as it can at first, but once she has a new dick in her, you'll be the furthest person from her mind, and the animosity you feel from such a revelation will leave you standing in a pile of krigloch droppings.

Dude, you donnt love her anymore. That's why you don't feel anything/aren't crying like a baby. You are overanalyzing everything and looking at yourself as some monster because society/TV says that is how it is supposed to be[/romanticism]. Life goes on, the world keeps orbiting the sun. It is what it is. And the entire situation is what you make of it.

dill_the_devil said:
My point is, I don't think I want to get back with her in a couple of years. I'm starting to question why I went out with her at all - no reflection on her, just questioning my own motivations. I'm not suffering from remorse, in fact I don't feel like I'm suffering at all - that's what's worrying me. Although 'worrying' isn't the right word - I'm sort of detachedly curious as to why I don't feel like I give a shit, even though I recognise on an intellectual level that I should.

Your motivation was to get laid. Quite simple. The regularity of the poontang is what kept you in this tangle web for 2 years.

Doomcifers post needs to be QFT. But I'm too lazy a.t.m

Reign in Acai said:
Your motivation was to get laid. Quite simple. The regularity of the poontang is what kept you in this tangle web for 2 years.

Doomcifers post needs to be QFT. But I'm too lazy a.t.m

I wasn't even getting poontang for the last couple of months.

Doomcifer said:
Dude, you donnt love her anymore. That's why you don't feel anything/aren't crying like a baby. You are overanalyzing everything and looking at yourself as some monster because society/TV says that is how it is supposed to be[/romanticism]. Life goes on, the world keeps orbiting the sun. It is what it is. And the entire situation is what you make of it.

That's a fairly comforting viewpoint - hope it turns out to be the correct one.

I'll agree with some of the sentiments already stated here.

Sometimes people drift, and in the end, splitting is easy. You may also find that in a couple days, a few weeks, that it bothers you more than you think. If this becomes a pattern, where people leave your life and it doesn't phase you, then you might want to look at that. However, as an isolated incident, I wouldn't say you need to seek help any time soon.

Zod

I am with Zod and Doomcifer ... sounds like you guys were drifiting apart for some time so it does not really bother you ... actually it might feel comforting that you are free.

Probably you will miss her in some weeks/months ...

I think it basically means you didn't love her.

Or if you did, it is long gone now, whatever it is you two had, and it's a good thing you broke up. Now, if you can't find someone that will again spark feelings in you, then I'd be worried.

Or perhaps you're still in shock right now. I wish you luck.

lurch70 said:
Probably you will miss her in some weeks/months ...

Thing is, it won't ber her per se. It will be the situation. The comfort of having someone there to keep you company and to confide in. It just has to be the right person, at the right time. Hopefully it lasts forever but in a lot of circumstances, it does not. People change and grow apart everyday. Nobody is the same person they were 7 years ago. If two people can grow together, along the same path, then that is the prize.

yeah, i'm gonna have to say you two moved apart so the breaking up was done over months and in little peices it just doesn't hurt as much.

Doomcifer said:
Aye, good stuff that.
Reign in my Heart said:
Nothing is lamer than couples who break up after a couple years, then get back together again.
Yep. My only long/good relationship I had I always thought happened too early in my life because I knew she'd want to settle down and I was still too young. So when we broke up I hoped that we would meet a few years down the line and finish things off nice and respectable like. Did the re-dating thing with her about 8 months ago, OH MAN was that one of the stupidest things I've ever done! Oh well, at least I can say I gave it another shot instead of wondering what could have been. Man that chick sucks, no wonder I intially got rid of her 2 years ago. :dopey: