What are death/black metal concerts like?

Well, I've been to Wacken, seen some pretty fuckin' heavy bands like Amon Amarth, Cannibal Corpse, Pig Destroyer, Misery Index, Napalm Death etc. I'm not really into black metal because some of the themes don't appeal to me and I can't stand any band that's into all that racial superiority bullshit, but I like my death, thrash and grindcore.

I started going to gigs about your age. I was kinda lucky because that was before hardcore and straight edge took off in Glasgow in a big way. If you fell in the pit, people would help you get up etc. Now it's all assholes doing kung fu kicks and swinging their elbows and fists around :-(

Alcohol is a big part of gigs. Personally, I don't get wasted at gigs because I wanna remember the night when I wake up in the morning and be able to stand up in the pit. I just have two or three pints spaced out over the night. I've only smoked weed before a gig twice and it was pretty cool. I know you said you're straight edge. My advice would be to reconsider it. My parents let me drink in moderation when I was a kid, like, a beer with my dinner or whatever, so I ended up being pretty sensible with alcohol and it's never done me any harm and I've had a lot of fun.

Some people take ear plugs to gigs. I don't because I've never had any problems other than my ears ringing afterwards, but remember that it's gonna be a LOT louder than anything you've ever played on your stereo.

Don't worry too much about your ancestry. My family is Scottish with Irish roots, but it doesn't stop my pillaging monasteries in my longboat!

And if you're going to Wacken, for fuck's sake take some sun block.

I think youre joking saying that nogood shows go to canada. Maybe not dm/bm, but I remember being very jealous to not see, Riisteyt, terveet kaet, World burns to death, SNFU, dayglo abortions, Kegcharge, Inepsy and Kylesa etc.

Originally posted by chaotic Some people take ear plugs to gigs. I don't because I've never had any problems other than my ears ringing afterwards, but remember that it's gonna be a LOT louder than anything you've ever played on your stereo.

Dude, first of all just because you haven't had any "problems" (what's it gonna take, blood spilling out of your ears), doesn't mean there isn't serious damage being done. I've been to maybe 8 big shows in my life, plus lots of club gigs, and that combined with band practices has been enough to make me deaf to about half of the frequencies the doctor had me listen to (you know, the thing where they play different pitched "beeps" and you raise your hand where you hear 'em.) So since that appointment, I've been absolutely gung-ho for earplugs, which do nothing but take the edge of the sound, not dilute it in any way.

And as for the shows, I don't drink or smoke, and although I haven't been to any "TRVE" black metal shows, anyone here who says it's anything more than a push fest is just trying to scare you. Hell, most of the time there's a spot where you can just hang outside of the pit, and even in the pit usually a circle breaks out where a bunch of 40+ year olds with mullets go and beat the shit out of each other, and it's not that hard to stay out of it. So fuck drinking, just go for the music, and remember, your ears aren't replacable.

Belgar said:
Don't try to be like fucking texans and act all black metalish...

What? :err:

Either way, Texas is definately the most grim trve state in the Union. We have Averse Sefira, Absu, and Thornspawn (from my hometown), on top of tons of amazing underground BM bands. Texas is the only BM scene there is. Dammit.

When it comes to gigs, it doesn't matter where your from at the end of the day. It's not like you'll be asked before entering. Granted it can get rough but if your sober you can usually tell whats about to happen, especially if its in the middle of the venue (from my experience). If you drink, you can often find yourself more inclined to get involved at the end of the day so don't complain if you get hurt from drunker stupidity. When it comes to ear plugs, you may have your hearing now, but later on it will be destroyed. There is a reason bands use them. Don't think your invunerable.

Enjoy your gigs. Even taking all this into consideration, you can still have a blast. Anyway, these are just guidelines

I've never worn them, but I have to admit I had ear problems afterwards; then again, who fucking cares about their ears? as long as I can hear the music, I don't even care if I bleed to death all the way through my ears.

anyway, I've checked out the himinbjorg website; I'd buy one of their CD's, if I weren't broke. ... again. I just bought a load of thyrfing & einherjer CD's, so I can't really afford spending money right now. I guess I'll have to leech off other people again, if I want beer.

personally I try to stay sober during a gig, because I want to be able to remember those precious moments afterwards; the only band I saw with a whole lot of smoke in my brain was system of a down, yet I should tell you seeing system of a down while stoned is cool.

... yeah.

chaotic said:
I'm not really into black metal because some of the themes don't appeal to me and I can't stand any band that's into all that racial superiority bullshit

What black metal bands are racist?

mmh that may be a fucking long list :p.. i'm sorry to tell you like this, but i'd say a good number of the true ones, which means the best and the pioneers, are racist. (darkthrone, burzum;.. i'm sure all the bands in the inner circle.., abyssic hate, marduk, graveland, nokturnal mortum,i've heard Shaggrath from dimmu is a racist, but thats a rumor not to be taken seriously.. ;)..all the bands which call themselves NSBM which is quite a successful subgerne of black metal, and plenty more! have fun and enjoy!)

Yeah for fuck sake, people who listen to JackoWacko arent necessarily perverts are they? A jewish friend of mine got me into all the NSBM bands - it's just about the music.
How exactky is Marduk racist - I only heard that they were 'controversial'. ANd does anyone know what Tom Araya said about Pinochet?

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Yeah for fuck sake, people who listen to JackoWacko arent necessarily perverts are they? A jewish friend of mine got me into all the NSBM bands - it's just about the music.
How exactky is Marduk racist - I only heard that they were 'controversial'. ANd does anyone know what Tom Araya said about Pinochet?

this guy i know who is well into BM since its beginning told me the older singer Legion had said quite racist remarks in interviews that he then denied in others.. yeah he's quite controversial.
what did tom araya say about Pinochet? was Pinochet racist? i thought he was just a fascist, like Franco for example, just fascist, no particular racism (well at least not vey openly.. he did have an army of marocco)

anyway i agree with Belgar, i think we all have some racism in us, but we dont want to admit it to ourselves. we all have prejudices weither we want it or not.

Well TOm araya said something about pinochet, which at some sites is described as admiration, but since I dont know what it was... Anyway the German magazine RockHard kept on bugging him about it in an interview, until he finally attacked the reporter with a bottle. Hanneman commented on it saying that whenever they go to Germany they have to explain themselves... I agree. In germany people often have this holierthanthou attitude about anything even the slightest right wing.

I've always seen racism as ridiculous. Leaving all the politically correct bullshit aside for one moment, what's the difference between idiots fighting about race and idiots fighting about religion? If you're gonna fight about something, at least it should be meaningful.

And it's an eternal shame on Britain that that whore Thatcher sided with Pinochet. One of the main reasons why I refuse to consider myself as "British."

Celtik Militia said:
anyway i agree with Belgar, i think we all have some racism in us, but we dont want to admit it to ourselves. we all have prejudices weither we want it or not.

I never considered it racism, I call them jokes. I make fun of every race, including my own. People take life too seriously.

But being an ignorant dumbass is a colorblind trait; its stupid to deny that there some differences amongst us as a whole.

You respect me, I wil respect you back. the end