What bands are bands that you just dont "get"?

leigonX said:
If you dont think petrucci plays with emotion I guess youve never seen him live
hollow years(budokan)
through her eyes(live ny)
change of seaons (live ny)
goodnight kiss (budokan)
finally someone who credits the side of his playing that is (was) actually good.

however, your anti-genre comments dropped you a notch with me...

Frosties said:
Just because they have keyboards, doesn't mean they're symphonic. I think it would be more accurate to call it electronics than keyboard, since that's a more suiting definition. It's real subtle sounds that you find once you dig into the music, and then you see how much it really adds.

@ Affinityband - How can you not like The New Build, Through Smudged Lenses, Am I 1? if you like Lost To Apathy? Well, I guess it's all a matter of taste...

Fair point. I know what i mean and i think you do too, i'm just finding difficult articulating it because i don't know the correct terminology for music stuff.

EternalMetal said:
Chill out dude, this thread is for exactly what you are pissed off about. It is for explaining bands we dont get, and Dream Theater is one of the bands that a lot of people dont get.

Notice how I said I don't mind if people don't get it, but theres a difference between saying they are absolutely horrible and not getting it.

leigonX said:
ehh, go listen to your third eye blind
don't want to pick a fight, but at least i'm not closedminded to other genres of music. you're only limiting yourself. if you enjoy that, its cool. personally i'm a music fan, not a metalhead.

Kenneth R. said:
personally i'm a music fan, not a metalhead.

I don't think it's a contradiction at all. I love all kinds of music, from Keane and Smashing Pumplins, to Camel, Pink Floyd and U2, from Scholomance and Death to Maiden and Iced Earth, and everything in between. I know that may not be a lot compared to some, but it is broad, if I may say so myself.

However, I primarily like metal. As much as I love all other kinds of music, there is nothing I enjoy so much as a good distorted power chord.

Therefore, I am a metalhead music lover.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Now stop talking about them!

I find it humorous how you can justify getting so pissed off because people don't like your favorite band, when you yourself have pounded off a list of bands that probably many others on here DO like. For example, you've listed Tool about 5 times? But are people getting uptight about it? I love Tool! But I'm not being a bitch because a lot of people have mentioned them. So for fuck sakes, relax about the fucking Dream Theater.

Now that that's off my shoulders, the bands I dont get are...

Led Zepelin ( ok to listen to now and again, but most of it is just too bland for my liking)
Katatonia ( i dont know what it is about these guys but i just cant stand them)
Dream Theater ( annoying vocals, boring, i just dont see whats so special )
Green Day ( do i really need to say anything here? )
System of a Down ( again, just plain shitty and overrated )
Slipknot (shudders)
Metallica ( used to be big on them, but they're just a bunch of whiny, rich, over rated, egotistical sell outs )
Lacuna Coil
and probably dozens more...

Slayer. What is so great about this mediocre band?

I think Green Day has improved a great deal with their last release, finally trying to put together music with a bit more thought to it.

Lacuna Coil's problem (as I see it) is that although they're fairly good, other bands that sound similar are just better.

Tubbs is funny because he is the typical Dream Theatre and Symphony X listening nerd who gets really upset when someone even hints at not thinking those bands are good. Granted that Symphony X is atleast listenable, but it's still a total wank fest and their fanbase are mostly comprised of nerds with no sense of humor (see the Devin Townsend tour).

Forest-of-October said:
I find it humorous how you can justify getting so pissed off because people don't like your favorite band, when you yourself have pounded off a list of bands that probably many others on here DO like. For example, you've listed Tool about 5 times? But are people getting uptight about it? I love Tool! But I'm not being a bitch because a lot of people have mentioned them. So for fuck sakes, relax about the fucking Dream Theater.
Okay, first of all, I don't like you at all for saying that, and second of all, read my other posts before saying stupid crap like that. I was trying to shut people up about Dream Theater, so this thread wouldn't go off topic. So if you please, SHUT THE HELL UP! ;)

Also, I just mentioned the band names, I didn't even give a reason why I don't like them, and I didn't complain about them.

From now on I'm going to instantly hate anyone who says anything bad about Dream Theater. I'm not going to post about it, but just know that I don't like you. ;) You people pushed me to it.

CAIRATH said:
Tubbs is funny because he is the typical Dream Theatre and Symphony X listening nerd who gets really upset when someone even hints at not thinking those bands are good. Granted that Symphony X is atleast listenable, but it's still a total wank fest and their fanbase are mostly comprised of nerds with no sense of humor (see the Devin Townsend tour).
You guys really know nothing about me because all we do is argue like idiots.