what is the hardest heaviest, most brutal song you've heard?

Hmm, seems a lot of these songs are about killing Jesus or Christians in general. Maybe these guys need a hug!

Anyway, the heaviest stuff I've heard is Six Feet Under- Deathklaat, or maybe Nile- Lashed To The Slave Stick. I'm more of a melodic metal fan so I don't try to go for the heaviest or most brutal, but rather the most artistic aggression, so a lot of the joy of brutality is lost on me. However, the two songs I mentioned do indeed kick ass.

Not the heaviest or most brutal song I've heard, but Spirit Crusher by Death is just the most kickass.song.evAr.

Well we've had a lot of people mention Meshuggah, and with good reason, but I'm a little surprised no one mentioned Fredrik Thordendahl's solo album, Sol Niger Within.

That album/song is without doubt the heaviest, most bone-crushing slab of aural intensity to sodomize my eardrums. I'd like to start a thread on it, but this is the Opeth forum.

Some years back I was chatting with Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink) about it, and we agreed it was a peak of heaviosity and among the top 10 metal abums ever.

It's all one contiguous whole, but standout tracks from a heavy standpoint would be Transmigration of Souls, Executive Furies of the Robot Lord of Death, and Existence out of Joint.

angelofdeath9308 said:
Just curious. Band and name of song.
I think the heaviest and the trashest ( I don't know if I can say that) is for me: Disgorge ( the US one ):Spin: so here we are...

I think Meshuggah is about as crushing soundwise as it gets, "I" in particular has got some devastating sections (especially the part during that really long section with the blast-beatish polyrhythm at ridiculous speed that has the guitars playing the EXTREMELY low notes, it's right after the first guitar solo at like 6:15). A lot of their previous three albums are also pretty damn heavy at points, I think the tone they have (especially the bass!) on Chaosphere is about as metal as things can get. And I think war is pretty heavy in the sections with the really low palm muted riffs with the ridiculous double bassing (though they did use a drum computer for that song :p).

As far as smothering/suffocating/massively heavy emotionwise goes I'd say the first riff in Novembers Doom - Last God. One of the most depressing riffs ever, helped by the fact that it's at like 50 bpm and tuned as low as hell.

Oh My Fucking God is really quite something, I must agree. The guitar sound on their song "Skeksis" in some sections (especially in the intro) is possibly the absolute heaviest I've ever heard, but the song isn't particularly crushing or anything.

One group that hasn't been mentioned that I think deserves to be is Immolation...they're probably the nastiest and most evil sounding death metal band around. I just can't really think of any good "heavy" songs by them offhand, sry. Maybe "Nailed to Gold" or "Christ's Cage."

Factorplayer said:
Well we've had a lot of people mention Meshuggah, and with good reason, but I'm a little surprised no one mentioned Fredrik Thordendahl's solo album, Sol Niger Within.

That album/song is without doubt the heaviest, most bone-crushing slab of aural intensity to sodomize my eardrums. I'd like to start a thread on it, but this is the Opeth forum.

Some years back I was chatting with Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink) about it, and we agreed it was a peak of heaviosity and among the top 10 metal abums ever.

It's all one contiguous whole, but standout tracks from a heavy standpoint would be Transmigration of Souls, Executive Furies of the Robot Lord of Death, and Existence out of Joint.

I was always a fan of the main riff of "Bouncing in a Bottomless Pit" though the guitar solos sort of counteract the heaviness of it all. The ridiculous vocals present on many of the tracks also makes it less heavy than it might be otherwise.

Haha took 5 pages until Pandemonic Hyperblast :D

Nile and Cryptopsy and Berzerker and stuff bores me, the most intense and extreme song that's still worth listening I've heard is probably Kayo Dot's 'The Manifold Curiosity'. It's very calm for the first 14 minutes but then it gets pretty crazy, luckily only for a few minutes.

Deadlift said:
I guess it`s very subjective. Very few bands can play very brutal without sounding like shit. Nile are very good with playing fast, brutal and heavy and still sounding good.

Devourment sounds pretty brutal like a few other bands playing the same kind of music.

I still prefer Nile before bands like Mortician and that stuff.

Emperor, Setherial and a few black metal bans delivers more evilness than many brutal death/grindcore bands i think.

I was going to say somehting off the new nile album.

The Project Hate- Resurrected For Massive Torture
http://www.theprojecthate.net/
Check out the songs from their recently released album. You can Join The Global Domination forums if you want. Bands that are in it: Dark Funeral, Bolt Thrower, Vicious Art, The Project Hate, God Among Insects, Aeon, Vomitory, and others..