what is the hardest heaviest, most brutal song you've heard?

:Wreath: said:
Well can't exacly tell which one was TEH heaviest... But the one which comes to my mind now is 'War' by Meshuggah...

definitely

neuroticandroid said:
i'd have to say i by meshuggah. over 21 minutes of brutal arhythmic metal!

the newer 8-string riffs are also crushingly heavy, but in a different way from what most people in this thread are talking about.

meshuggah's increasingly minimalist approach is fucking awesome. catch 33 is even better than i, i think. also, "nebulous" from the Nothing album is slow and ponderously heavy.

Factorplayer said:
Well we've had a lot of people mention Meshuggah, and with good reason, but I'm a little surprised no one mentioned Fredrik Thordendahl's solo album, Sol Niger Within.

That album/song is without doubt the heaviest, most bone-crushing slab of aural intensity to sodomize my eardrums. I'd like to start a thread on it, but this is the Opeth forum. ...

ok yea i agree with that too. most of the vocals on that album are also quite peculiar (in a good way). fredrik is an amazingly creative musician. his more melodic solos (like straws pulled at random) are beautiful.

w00t, 2nd post! i just found this forum, and i guess besides opeth, meshuggah is one of my fav. metal bands.

this is an interesting one for sure.

I suppose it all depends on what you would classify as 'heavy' to begin with:

I think that Nile are probaly the heaviest band I fave heard in that they incorporate very low tuning, fast and slow rhythms to create a soundscape that is both intricate and anthemic. For example I think 'Sarcophagus' is fucking brutal because it is slow and the riffs are so doomy. On the other hand you have songs like 'The Burning Pits of the Duat' that are extremely fast and with chopping, incisive riffs. You only have to read the booklet from the new album to understand what Dallas was getting at when crafting the song. Karl states that the riffs are meant to sound like ones body is being devoured by flames, and I think the chaotic riffing and the speed at which those riffs are pulled of at does induce that kind of image.

Then again, you could also argue that slow, low-tuned, doomy riffs are the pinnacle of heaviness. In this case I would say something like 'Sleep' by Jerusalem is extremely heavy because you have a hypnotic, almost relentless droning riff repeated over an hour's worth of listening.

Like I said it's an interesting one, but of course, ones perception of heaviness boils down to your interpretation based upon the music you have heard.

:headbang:

Huh. I'd have to say Iron Maiden – Wasting Love

Now that's brutal.

Wait, never mind. I'm not a fan of needlessly heavy metal that plays simply for the sake of sounding cacophonous and dissonant, but the heaviest, most enjoyable song that comes to mind is "Lykathea Aflame – Land where Sympathy is Air".

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned anything by Dillinger Escape Plan. I guess it can be argued that they have a noisy and chaotic sound than heavy and brutal, but either way, they definitely have a knack for blasting your eardrums out.

Also, same goes for Daughters.

Anarkissed said:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned anything by Dillinger Escape Plan. I guess it can be argued that they have a noisy and chaotic sound than heavy and brutal, but either way, they definitely have a knack for blasting your eardrums out.

Also, same goes for Daughters.

ah yes, my other favorite band. definitely not that heavy though. i think their sound can best be described as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle as embodied in music. plus their drummer kicks serious ass.

Verano said:
The Project Hate- Resurrected For Massive Torture
http://www.theprojecthate.net/
Check out the songs from their recently released album. You can Join The Global Domination forums if you want. Bands that are in it: Dark Funeral, Bolt Thrower, Vicious Art, The Project Hate, God Among Insects, Aeon, Vomitory, and others..

Another Global Dominator! haha

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
also Cry My Name and Mass Strangulation by Bloodbath have some immense heavy riffs

That's just cos they tune to A.

Same with Nile, tuned to dropped a.

Difference is that nile have brutal drumming, and deeper growls. Although the screams that Tagtren puts out are fucking awesome.