What's YOUR definition of a hipster???

hats off to Joans photo....damn that is perfect....reminds me of the people in Wicker Park in Chicago. I want to knock them over on thier tall bikes. To me they are people who just crave attention and want to stand out so bad.

They have spread into other interest as well.....at the past few years they have invaded the comic book world buying indie comics and such.

They have spread into other interest as well.....at the past few years they have invaded the comic book world buying indie comics and such.

I have no issue with the fact that they want to support the art community.. but a lot of the crap they support is straight crap, and they support it because it's "not mainstream". And I'm not talking just another style of music or art, I mean, this shit is straight BAD.

My band sometimes practices at an art studio/practice space. They have a coffee shop, and hipsters breed there like cockroaches. There are paintings all over the walls, and most of the time, they're complete disasters. Sometimes there will be something exceedingly brilliant, but most of the time.. it's garbage (literally) glued to a canvas.

/rage

I rest my case.

Again, I like to make fun of them too, but I don't necessarily hate them...(before you people start saying stuff..)

Okay, but.. you know the guys who wear their pants so low that all you see is boxer shorts? Like, their pants don't come up past their balls? Okay, picture that, except the jeans are SO SMALL that they don't fit. They're literally wearing girl's jeans that are too small to cover their junk. x_x

Okay, but.. you know the guys who wear their pants so low that all you see is boxer shorts? Like, their pants don't come up past their balls? Okay, picture that, except the jeans are SO SMALL that they don't fit. They're literally wearing girl's jeans that are too small to cover their junk. x_x

guy jeans
generally some sort of Levi 510

Nina, seriously... I live 45 min away from NEW YORK CITY. Do you really want to discuss which place has more hipsters? Try coming to Brooklyn, then you'll see what's really bad. I know what they look like, I know exactly what you're describing. And no, I don't need to picture it as it's not attractive... :lol:

They make ex-girlfriend jeans now.
http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10911925

2rmqxzd.jpg

The only time I hate hipsters is if they're behaving like idiots at whatever concert I'm at, that they also decided to invade. Some of the Chicago folks have already heard my rant about the hipster invasion of a Sonata Arctica show I was at a few years ago. They generally behaved very boorishly, and had no consideration for those who were there to actually enjoy the show. I ended up getting buttsecksed against the stage barrier by a dude AND a chick. Now, I've got an ample behind, but it's not massive. Somehow, these two very skinny hipsters were ON EACH BUTT CHEEK. I wanted to turn around and demand they both buy me dinner and flowers, if they were going to hump my ass the entire show.

The Hipster Invasion at that show also attempted to crowd surf and mosh, not really exhibiting any concert etiquette for either. The security guards were hard-pressed to keep up with these people. Though I think the one crowd surfer (who kicked me in the side of the head) got booted from the venue. I experienced MUCH better pit manners from the death metal fans when I saw Nile and Hypocrisy in the early 2000's. I think the difference is that the death metal fans at that show knew about pit etiquette because they had been involved in the scene for some time, whereas the hipsters at the Sonata show probably assumed that moshing is what you do at a metal show (even if it's symphonic/power metal) and were doing it because they assumed that's what you did.

I ran into the same issue at Tyr and Alestorm a few years ago. Many of the people there for Alestorm were your stereotypical Chicago hipster set, who behaved like inconsiderate clods. Once Alestorm was done, the hipsters cleared out, and the people left were considerably better-behaved (and fewer in number. A shame.) It really seems like a lot of the hipster behavior at metal shows stems from a mindset of "metal show = mosh" with no real concept of concert etiquette. I think this is why hipsters receive a lot of hate from metal fans.

Of course, I could be way off, since this is only based off of my own observations attending concerts in the last 10 years. It's not like I've done any quantifiable research. :p

Joan....there were NO HIPSTERS are the Alestorm / Tyr show sorry. I was there. It was just filled with obnoxious high school kids. I think you may be confused with what a hipster is....they definetly are not driving out to the Pearl Room.

Joan....there were NO HIPSTERS are the Alestorm / Tyr show sorry. I was there. It was just filled with obnoxious high school kids. I think you may be confused with what a hipster is....they definetly are not driving out to the Pearl Room.

I was gonna say... I expect to see hipster at certain metal shows, but definitely not TYR/Alestorm...

I was gonna say... I expect to see hipster at certain metal shows, but definitely not TYR/Alestorm...

yeah....it was all high school kids there just being stupid. Folk metal kind of broke and all the kids thought it was the rage. It was a crowd filled with kids being stupid....but not hipsters.

Also Joan....hipsters are not moshing at shows. They will go upfront and do air guitar thinking it is funny / cool but they are not moshing. You are very confused I think of the hipster mentality. They usually hang out in back and have no clue who is playing....they just want to be seen there by other hipsters.

yeah....it was all high school kids there just being stupid. Folk metal kind of broke and all the kids thought it was the rage. It was a crowd filled with kids being stupid....but not hipsters.

Also Joan....hipsters are not moshing at shows. They will go upfront and do air guitar thinking it is funny / cool but they are not moshing. You are very confused I think of the hipster mentality. They usually hang out in back and have no clue who is playing....they just want to be seen there by other hipsters.

No, Bob. At SA, for sure, it was overrun with people who looked very much like you'd find in the photo I posted. And I do remember what the two folks on my ass looked like. I think that was probably 2005-ish. It's been a number of years since I last saw SA live (not counting ProgPower)

I'll give you Alestorm, on account of I was dizzy from the BO that permated Capone's.