who do you want to see headline in 2013?

Ok, here is where I am going to disagree with you sir Bob......

You focus way too much on the drawing power of said particular band.
A fest is about the package as a whole.
I mean would you really say that SKULL FIST was a "draw" for this year?
Absolutely not, but they ended up being a standout band and made a lot of new fans.

Though even though not well known when booked, SF were a great pick.

To piggy back on that comment, I would also add that some that see the bands playing, will look them up to see what they're like. Not everyone will but some will never hear of such and such band, will take a listen and think "man, these guys are awesome" and be even more pumped for the fest.

Actually I know people who came on saturday just for Skull Fist. So, yes, they were a draw.

You can preach about it being about the whole package but in reality about 80% of the people look at the flyer and if they dont know the bands they write most of them off. Most people would think they are a local act. There is a small percentage of people like us who hunt down new / old music.

So I think they would be a great fit for the fest but with so many other bands that are more of a name who would help bring people in, why go with a band you would have to fly in that would not really draw interest.

then again...I am being biased....I will be seeing these guys next year already.....

Would While Heaven Wept or Twisted Tower Dire be headliner material, or maybe just direct support? I think Gates of Slumber or Omen could be a good addition. What about Crimson Glory? Slough Feg is a good, obvious choice. Shit, I think Riot might continue touring sans-Mark Reale. I Saw Riot twice with just one guitarist and it was fucking mindblowing

Would While Heaven Wept or Twisted Tower Dire be headliner material, or maybe just direct support? I think Gates of Slumber or Omen could be a good addition. What about Crimson Glory? Slough Feg is a good, obvious choice. Shit, I think Riot might continue touring sans-Mark Reale. I Saw Riot twice with just one guitarist and it was fucking mindblowing

TTD
RIOT
OMEN
GATES OF SLUMBER
SLOUGH FEG

Call it a day right there!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Actually I know people who came on saturday just for Skull Fist. So, yes, they were a draw.

Yes, but come on man........
Those handful of people you talked to who knew Skull Fist were probably going to come anyhow. I guess it depends on what you consider a "draw" I mean, you claimed that you talked to over 100 people who alone were coming in for VOLTAX. Were there even 100 "paid" people on Friday?

What number truly constitutes a "draw"?

This is where your logic is extremely faulty. VOLTAX and SKULL FIST were good picks for the fest as part of the complete package. That does not necessarily mean they were a "draw". To be honest, I think this year was ALL about the package as a whole. That's not a bad thing at all though. I think it is smart. I think the fest drew exactly as expected.

Yes, but come on man........
Those handful of people you talked to who knew Skull Fist were probably going to come anyhow. I guess it depends on what you consider a "draw" I mean, you claimed that you talked to over 100 people who alone were coming in for VOLTAX. Were there even 100 "paid" people on Friday?

What number truly constitutes a "draw"?

This is where your logic is extremely faulty. VOLTAX and SKULL FIST were good picks for the fest as part of the complete package. That does not necessarily mean they were a "draw". To be honest, I think this year was ALL about the package as a whole. That's not a bad thing at all though. I think it is smart. I think the fest drew exactly as expected.

I know a couple people who came just for Skull Fist on saturday. They were the ones asking what time they were going on because they were coming in from another show even. So, you could say they were a draw...if they were not playing that would be a few less ticket sales.

Once again, its about the numbers if we are talking about what REALLY matters.
A "couple" extra tickets sales to me would not constitute as a "draw".

What I will give you is that SKULL FIST were a major part, along with most of the bands on the bill, of making the lineup really strong this year.

I think the focus needs to continue to be on the package, and not about, "Well, 5 people said they will come if I book BAND A, and 20 for BAND B, so that means booking these two bands will guarantee X amount of dollars, which will enable us to book BAND C"

How can you have a topic like this and NOT have this discussion though Simon?
I think it sets the tone for the direction booking next year's fest will take.

It's questioning EACH band's "draw" as opposed to putting together a "package" that will appeal to your core crowd and bring in some fence sitters. Granted, you need a combination of both tactics.....

How can you have a topic like this and NOT have this discussion though Simon?
I think it sets the tone for the direction booking next year's fest will take.

It's questioning EACH band's "draw" as opposed to putting together a "package" that will appeal to your core crowd and bring in some fence sitters. Granted, you need a combination of both tactics.....

It's not that, it just seems right now you two are beating a dead horse.

What???
I don't think this horse is ANYWHERE near to beaten to death.
I think its something that needs a lot more conversation actually.

Unless anyone here thinks they have all the answers.
I am trying to ask the questions people aren't asking.

this is very true....you need a name band to sell it to other bands who are being asked to come out...also you need a name band to sell it to people. It is a fine line between having a huge band like Iced Earth headliner where it becomes and Iced Earth show or having a Virgin Steele where the under card is also important to get people there. There is a LOT more that goes into doing this than just calling bands to come and play.

You always need a couple oddball (and that's not meant to be a dis, but oddball in terms of "which one of these is not like the other") to bring in some people who might not otherwise attend. I think WIZARD took care of that this year. Next year, a band like SAINT VITUS or THE GATES OF SLUMBER could hold that spot (as an example).

You always need a couple oddball (and that's not meant to be a dis, but oddball in terms of "which one of these is not like the other") to bring in some people who might not otherwise attend. I think WIZARD took care of that this year. Next year, a band like SAINT VITUS or THE GATES OF SLUMBER could hold that spot (as an example).

I would rather see someone like Acid Witch or Bones play to bring in the crowd who wouldnt come. It would be a better upbeat show than having too many dull ass doom bands.

I cant wait for the day when Chris Black plays in a doom band and you talk your way around why they are great.

I will have no problem telling him that I dont like it. I love this imagenary world you think I live in that I worship him? I remember all your talks started off with "I talked to Paul from Novembers Doom today".....

I think doom would be good but in very small doses for the fest. Not at a headlining capacity either....why have people get bored as they leave.

I am just bustin yer chops.....
Let's face it though. If he formed one, you would be a fan, be at every gig, and recommend them for Ragnarokkr.
Denial is a river in Egypt my friend........... :)

I never said a doom band for a headliner.

Once again, it all comes down to the mission.
Do you want more people, or do you want a great show for the same amount of people?

moving this to the top......if you have been following mike's ramblings on facebook you see he has a few bands interested in headlining...

who would you like to see and explain and do you think it would be a draw. Dont start getting into the fest as a whole. For two years there have been solid line ups. Who as a headliner would be a good pick....just curious.