Glen Benton
Lee Dorrian
Jeff Walker

Originally posted by jester00
who would you rate

-the best
-what band are they from

I have two ex aequo:
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) and Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity)

-what makes them better then everyone else!

Emotions, emotions and... um... emotions ;) and ability to sing beautiful normal voice beside the growls. Another thing is that both guys growl very "clearly", I mean you can understand almost all words without looking to the lyrics.

well there are nice deep growlers from dISEMBOWELMENT and the funeral doom band 'skepticism', both very fuckin deep, and the skepticism growl actually sounds like a whisper, worth checkin out.
and not a growler but my favorite screamers is scott kelly from neurosis... he shouts his whole damn soul out, its just awesome.

Originally posted by Mr. Niel

The best vocalists overall hands down though are Mr. Akerfeldt and Mike Patton. Clean to screams title belongs to Mikeal, and I'm convinced Mike Patton can sing in any style possible.

Mike Patton is god. There is definitley not a thing he couldn't do with his voice.

In addition to the obvious, David Vincent has a unique kind of growl IMHO. Not as deep Åkerfeldt's, but as haunting as hell (where he presumably has his origins...). I have been listening to Morbid Angel quite extensively the past few years, and few can match his ability to articulate his gowls so clearly. :headbang: And man, if you have heard the song 'God Of Emptiness', you know what I'm talking about. He actually doesn't have to growl to scare the shit out of anyone...:eek:

Ahnasihn,i agrre with u,GoD of EmptinesS is one of the best song i ve ever heard!DaviD VincenT can do ANYTHING with his voice!In that song is really haunting!

Originally posted by Mr. Niel
The best vocalists overall hands down though are Mr. Akerfeldt and Mike Patton. Clean to screams title belongs to Mikeal, and I'm convinced Mike Patton can sing in any style possible.

Patton's got a really good growl too. Listen to "Merry Go Bye Bye" if you haven't.

Marcus Johansson - Eucharist
Mike Akerfeldt - Opeth
Mike Stanne - Dark Tranquility
Jon Nodtveidt - Dissection
Dani Filth - Cradle of Filth [I think his behemoth growls are still great]
Aaron Stainthorpe - My Dying Bride
Shagrath - Dimmu Borgir [once again, like Dani]

Originally posted by EvilGenius
@Sacrilicious:
"merry go bye bye": what band is that for, and which album? I haven't heard of it I don't think.

thanks in advance!

Heh, should have said that in the post. It's by Mr. Bungle and it's on their album Disco Volante.