Who has the best growl in ALL of metal.

yeah, you're right on that one. I add Chuck to my list. Now it's not all swedish guys in my list anymore. :)

And I'd also like to add Tomi Koivusaari to the list. I think his early Amorphis grunt sounds really deep and natural.

No one named John Tardy from Obituary? kick ass voice if you ask me...

Other favorite are Lord Worm, Chuck Schuldiner, David Vincent and well Mikael of course

I just got Dreams D'Azur, and I must say that the vocals on the redone Sirens in Filth are absolutely amazing. Without a doubt, the best growling EVER!!!!! I still support the snotty classica statement, though.

bump!
strange no one mentioned peter from hypocrisy, he's pretty good
another growler i really like is "adam the first sinner" (dunno his real name) from hate, so brutal

Wow, 6 year old thread, hahahhah.

To add someone new; I like the growls of Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun, ex-Ensiferum) a lot.

I would rate

-Mikael Åkerfeldt
-Opeth

and

-His screams are SO demonic. It's so unbelievably inhuman.

or

-Mikko Kotamäki
-Swallow the Sun

and

-His screams are SO demonic. It's so unbelievably inhuman.

Also both singers have the ability to sing very well as well as growl. I find that extremely talented as most people only do one.

Strictly growling list here:
Mikael obviously
Dude from Akercocke
Sauron from Decapitated
Dallas from Nile
some mysterious guy known only as "Thorn" who did vocals on Vital Remains' album Dawn of the Apocalypse
Frank Mullen of Suffocation
David Vincent of Morbid Angel
Theres prolly more but those are the ones that come to mind immediately. And @ Cognitive intercourse, they were prolly refering to Peter Tagtren.

Hupogrammos (Negura Bunget)
Mikael (Opeth, Bloodbath, Katatonia)
Peter (Hypocrisy, Bloodbath, Pain)
Steve Tucker (Morbid Angel)
Jon Vesano (Nile, Darkmoon)
Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel)
Grutle (Enslaved, Trinacria)
Chuck Schuldiner (Death, Control Denied) - up to/including Individual Thought Patterns

Shagrath - Dimmu Borgir all the way :D
He has good variance in his voice... can do both higher and lower tones and an awesome fullness :)

Favorite metal vocalists, Akerfeldt, Grutle, Mikko Aspa, Neige, Hupogrammos, Jason Mendonca and Jens Kidman come to mind as metal vocalists that I really like. The best I guess I'd probably say Akerfeldt, but I'm obviously biased. Mikko would be a very close 2nd.