who would you like to see at 2014???

I used to love ZOETROPE!!!
"Are you a member............in a gaaaaaaaaaang"!!!!!
100% Street Metal!!!!!

I saw them with GBH and TOXIC REASONS at the Cubby Bear before you were born.

Really? I didn't know they were around in the '70s. How old were you at the time, seven or eight?

Fun fact: Zoetrope's bassist became a teacher's assistant at my high school. When they told me the new TA used to play in a metal band in the '80s, I wasn't expecting a tall, skinny black dude with glasses. He never told me the name of his band, though. He thought I would find their albums and make fun of him. I don't know why. Eventually I did hear them, and they were pretty good.

Hahahahaha,
Yeah, this was 77, before GBH even formed! It was crazy...

Oh man, what was that guys name, like Calvin Humphreys?

He always stuck out his tongue live...

Ok here's my fantasy fest lineup:

Headliners:
Satan (UK) or Hell (UK)
Liege Lord or Warlord
OR
Arch/Matheos

Others:

Heathen or Solstice
Sough Feg
Twisted Tower Dire
Argus
Sinister Realm
Amulance
Hour of 13/Nightbitch/Phil Swanson band
Borrowed Time
Gatekeeper
Eternal Champion
Cauldron Born/Briton Rites
Blazon Stone
Speedwolf
Natur
Slauter Xstroyes
Spellcaster
Skelator

this kind of shit

if Gatekeeper could get down here....I would have you guys on the second stage for sure without any issues at all...put it tha way. Seriously...if it goes the way it did last year...just buy your tickets to the fest and come on down and you are on. I will give you any day and slot you want. I would be honored if you played.

I love your headliners but financially....doubtful. Who knows.

Ok here's my fantasy fest lineup:

Headliners:
Satan (UK) or Hell (UK)
Liege Lord or Warlord
OR
Arch/Matheos

Others:

Heathen or Solstice
Sough Feg
Twisted Tower Dire
Argus
Sinister Realm
Amulance
Hour of 13/Nightbitch/Phil Swanson band
Borrowed Time
Gatekeeper
Eternal Champion
Cauldron Born/Briton Rites
Blazon Stone
Speedwolf
Natur
Slauter Xstroyes
Spellcaster
Skelator

this kind of shit

Again, I'd love to see Satan. Pretty sure Hell would be out of reach though.

Count me in for Briton Rites/Speedwolf/SpellCaster/Skelator

Again, I'd love to see Satan. Pretty sure Hell would be out of reach though.

Count me in for Briton Rites/Speedwolf/SpellCaster/Skelator

even those bands are a tad high because of travel cost....this is the hard part of getting the midlevel acts...unless they are coming on a short tour it is really tough. Speedwolf draws great here...they are worth the cost....I love Spellcaster and Skelator but both have played here to 5 people. While it would be cool as hell...but not cost efficiant.

if Gatekeeper could get down here....I would have you guys on the second stage for sure without any issues at all...put it tha way. Seriously...if it goes the way it did last year...just buy your tickets to the fest and come on down and you are on. I will give you any day and slot you want. I would be honored if you played.
Aw shucks. Thanks. That means a lot. I'd be willing, would have to convince the rest of my crew though.

I love your headliners but financially....doubtful. Who knows.
Well I tried to pick my list based upon what I saw at the fest this year, though my 'Murican 'Jograffy is spotty at best and I don't know how much these bands (or this year's) are asking.

Ok, let's have one of our discussions here.

Is the budget for bands at 2014 different from the 2013 budget? Let's assume that the Kickstarter thing works great and the initial $5000 gets covered here. The fest brought over Omen (LA) and OZ (Fin/Swe) this year, would Satan (UK) and Liege Lord (Conneticut) be much different in terms of cost, really?

Wings of Metal fest in Montreal is hosting 4 international bands (Satan, Manilla Road, Magic Circle and Midnight) plus two highish-profile reunion bands in a venue that caps at maybe 200 people. How they are pulling it off, I dunno. But I bet Ragnarokkr could do it too.
https://www.facebook.com/events/304102653050736/

even those bands are a tad high because of travel cost....this is the hard part of getting the midlevel acts...unless they are coming on a short tour it is really tough. Speedwolf draws great here...they are worth the cost....I love Spellcaster and Skelator but both have played here to 5 people. While it would be cool as hell...but not cost efficiant.
Ok, so what do you propose the fest does instead? Just get bands within 3-5 hours drive? Again, I don't know a whole lot about the lay of the land over there, but you're bleed the well dry going down that route, there's only so many bands suitable for this fest in the area, I'm sure. And you can't have constant repeats, you've gotta mix it up. I liked most of the bands on the 2nd stage and early on the main stage, but if every single one of those bands played again next year I'd be sick of it, that's not the experience I'm paying for.

I also think that you can't get too wrapped up in "local draw" all the time with every band. A festival is a different bag than a straight-up tour or a regular gig. People will show up for the headliners, or to see their friends in the local support, or maybe to catch their fave "buzz band" like Speedwolf. Everything else is just gravy. But without some gravy, your thanksgiving dinner is a tad dry, right? You've gotta have a few bands where the locals go in with no clue, and then come out with their minds blown! Being surprised and blown away by something unfamiliar is part of the festival experience, man. You may have seen Skelator/Spellcaster play in front of 5 people in Chicago on a tuesday night (or whatever the fuck) but that's pretty much every new band on their first or second tour EVER. If those 5 people buy $50 tickets, then that's $250 more for the fest right there. Could be worse, really.

Also, why the fuck are you limiting the draw of this event to Chicago locals? I came all the way from fuckin' Canada because Gatekrashor got booked. That's the cold, hard truth. I can pretty it up by saying "Oh I wanted to see Omen/Ashbury/whoever" but the fact is that I didn't feel truly compelled to drop $900+ on that trip until my friends got booked to open the show. I went because I knew for a fact that I'd be able to share an experience at an incredible fest with some close friends. My two companions felt the same way. Now I'm back in Canada telling all my friends how fucking cool this fest is. My European friends have taken a sincere interest in this after my testimonials, too. Who's to say that Skelator/Spellcaster's 4 best friends won't pile in a van for a Road Trip to Ragnarokkr? (fuck, there's a song title...) They'd probably rave about it like I'm doing right now. What percentage of KIT attendance is made up of folk from outside Germany? Even Noctis fest in Calgary has been getting a bunch of USA/EUR fans in attendance after 5 incarnations. Let's think a little more globally. Not overly so, of course. There's gotta be balance. I'm sure there's still lots of cool bands on the local/regional level over there that I'm not aware of.

I'm not trying to stick my dick in the potato salad here, but I think my thoughts as a complete outsider (with touring/booking/promotion experience) are valid.

Jeff.....like I said...I have and will keep a slot for you on the second stage hands down unless mike grabs you for the mainstage. But so you know...you are set...just get down here and it is yours. ( along with buying tickets)

But you make good points. While it seems the fest bought over all these bands....they did but they also lost thousands and thousands of dollars doing it...sure people can say...well eventually you will make that money back...after three years it adds up. I hope the kickstarter thing works out. There are some great bands who could play. I think it would take one year of a close sell out to really push it over the edge financially.

But talking about a band like Spellcaster or Skelator...odds are they would drive. So for example paying for travel / fee for playing. At the end you have to look at the overall cost for a band and who will actually be watching them. For what some bands got paid compared to how many actually watched...sometimes it doesnt even out. I understand that it is the overall line up. I agree...it has to remain fresh each year. My plan for second stage next year would only be two repeats at most and all new bands. Don't want to just do a replay of a previous year. So getting something like 3 or 4 bands from the west coast in the end could cost thousands where that money could actually go to a more name act with a guarantee draw. It is a debate that could really go on and on. I see both sides...believe me....I would love to have any of those bands play next year.

I mention local draw because Chicago has a HUGE metal community...you literally only saw about less than half of it...if you saw the death metal community it is huge here. Trying to also to tap into that crowd would also help getting tickets sold. The fest is still young and there is a great amount of people who travel in like yourself and many others but the reason Mike put the fest here was because of the local market here.

The good thing is if the kickstarter thing works there will be much easier to book the bands people want. So once it goes live we need to get the word out and make it happen.

All good points. I also hope the kickstarter thing works. As much as I would love a band like Satan, I'm thinking unless a group of people sponsor a band like that, it might be more efficient to get some quality name acts from the US or maybe a closer country like Mexico or Canada. At the same time though, I do think you do need to have a couple that really draw. You also have to remember people though, this fest is getting bigger. I don't want to just bank on that, but I'm sure many people are spreading it via word of mouth and just simply we get quality acts will be enough in some cases for people to come back and also bring others. The more years this thing goes on and it continues bringing out great bands and a great festival experience, the less hard work will have to be put into things like marketing and the fest can take a bigger financial risk with bringing bands on.

Quality acts from nearby are good, but at least do something cool with it. An exclusive sort of thing, like featuring a cult-classic album or something. I don't think booking a name-US band that is touring around is the best move for this fest. Ashbury, Winterhawk Tyrants Reign and OZ caught some attention

Also, I personally don't give a shit about Chicago's death metal scene. I get enough of that shit in my neck of the woods, I'd rather hang out with Manilla Road (+etc) fans. Then again, I just hate death metal so I'm biased as fuck

Quality acts from nearby are good, but at least do something cool with it. An exclusive sort of thing, like featuring a cult-classic album or something. I don't think booking a name-US band that is touring around is the best move for this fest. Ashbury, Winterhawk Tyrants Reign and OZ caught some attention
Or the one-time reunion of Gary with Wrath. :headbang:

Again all good points....this year showed that people will travel in for this. The Kickstarter thing will really determine on what size band can be afforded. While I hope it doesnt have to rely on getting the death metal crowd it is an easy fix to keep the cash flow coming in.

This is the key this year....Odin's coffers have run dry so bands that are playing need to be drawing bands which will guarantee people coming in.

I do plan on keeping the second stage with new acts....I would love to get Gatekeeper.

Also, why the fuck are you limiting the draw of this event to Chicago locals?

Stop worrying. I'll build a great lineup once again and you'll have a great time. Bob is just being logical. I'll spend whatever we can theoretically make. I do it every year. MANY people travel in and I take that into consideration. After all, I booked Paradoxx when everyone in Chicago said not to.

Again all good points....this year showed that people will travel in for this. The Kickstarter thing will really determine on what size band can be afforded. While I hope it doesnt have to rely on getting the death metal crowd it is an easy fix to keep the cash flow coming in.

This is the key this year....Odin's coffers have run dry so bands that are playing need to be drawing bands which will guarantee people coming in.

I do plan on keeping the second stage with new acts....I would love to get Gatekeeper.

This is the 100% truth. It will work and future will be bright! Kickstarter is gonna make 10k and we will land bands that not only fit, but will draw people from all over this side of the world. I can feel it.