why all the hate for STYE??

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I like it better than ASOP too... but that is not saying much.

More like "I'd rather be violated by a gang of prison niggas (see bottled) then by a herd of horny horses (see disco...see ASOP)"

Hm, no wonder I didn't post this on our non-gay bro thread...

As they're both perfect metaphors for ASOP and STYE I'm gonna declare neither examples are actually gay :cool:

I certainly like it more than that dreaded asop,that being said ive got 2-3 songs I enjoy a fair bit(superhero, f(r)iend, evil in closet). I don't mind soapf since it has some good stuff on there.

I genuinely like STYE. Way more than ASOP and SOAPF. I'd say its on pair with R2R, but still not as good as CC is. Every song is pretty good, with the exception of last four. Plus, its the only IF album with synth stuff that I actually like, instead of just tolerate. :)

Not even trolling. :p

To be fair, I don't hate STYE exactly. I'd give it 6/10 if not for Bottled, which takes 2 points off the overall score, it's that bad :D overall though the album is very bland. It's the very definition of modern metal. If you like STYE then you must (or should) like the various American metal bands like Shadows Fall, KSE, etc... because it's of the exact same mould. If I was going to rate the STYE songs it'd be something like

F(r)iend - 5/10
TQP - 5/10
Dead Alone - 5/10
Touch of Red - 6/10
Like You Better Dead - 3/10 (awful, awful lyrics)
My Sweet Shadow - 6/10
Evil in a Closet - 7/10
In Search for I - 6/10
Borders and Shading - 5/10
Superhero of the Computer Rage - 6/10
Dial 595-Escape - 7/10
Bottled - 0/10
Discover Me Like Emptiness - 5/10

It's just such an average album.

Shitty drum sound, ugly guitar sound, weak melodic/solo work, confusing vocals, a lot of average or terrible songs (ahem...bottled), bad overall production and mix.

Some nice riffs, some nice screams, some nice songs (MSS, Dead Alone, Evil in the Closet), few decent melodies, good synth stuff.

The funny thing about STYE is a lot of the vocal melodies are actually pretty complicated. Like You Better Dead's chorus is complex and difficult to imitate, In Search For I has some strange vocal melodies too, even Dial-595 is unusual. Anders' voice isn't really working in sync with the instruments at all in a lot of the tracks, which makes the songs on the album a) difficult to cover vocally (not that you'd really want to) and b) sound confusing, as A88 mentioned.

I remember being forced (outvoted) to cover Like You Better Dead and I fucking hated it :Dboth because the lyrics are gay and the vocal melodies are horrifically confusing.

STYE its not that bad, but its the shitty production that mostly kills it for me. And the fact that its IMO their most strange record to date. It shows absolutely no sign of their previous work and its lyrics are too weak and stupid (no more than ASOP or SOAPF though).
I dont know what the fuck where they thinking when they made In Search for I or Canned.

I actually think In Search for I is one of the better songs off STYE... though the chorus lyrics are, again, fucking tragic :D

I actually enjoy alot of STYE. When I was first buying In Flames' albums (I'd already gotten ASOP, Come Clarity and Colony at that point) I got Reroute to Remain, and thought most of it was good- alot of filler or just too many tracks. I wasn't a fan of the slower songs at all.

When I then brought STYE I almost immediately thought it the better album of the two- much 'stronger' songwriting. I don't know how to put it into words, it just felt like each song had more going for it (catchier, more atmospheric, less forumlaic, than RTR).

In hindsight I can see Reroute as a great album, a kind of little brother to Clayman, with very imaginative lyrics. I can appreciated Reroute ALOT more now. Especially seeing in hindsight how much of a complete toilet that A Sense of Purpose is. Damn hindsight, I used to love ASOP :erk: I used to actually LISTEN to Delight and Angers, and Disconnected!!

But yeah, back on-topic, I still like most of the tracks on STYE. Just can't stand Touch of Red or that other track... :)

I don't mind the albums production, it's not quite as muddy as RTR.

I find it interesting when people link R2R to Clayman. The most oft-used phrase is "if the production was cleaner most songs would fit onto Clayman"... and that's just not true :D I've heard clean (production wise) versions of Trigger, Minus, Cloud Connected and System... and none of them would fit on Clayman. The song-writing is totally different.

I find it interesting when people link R2R to Clayman. The most oft-used phrase is "if the production was cleaner most songs would fit onto Clayman"... and that's just not true :D I've heard clean (production wise) versions of Trigger, Minus, Cloud Connected and System... and none of them would fit on Clayman. The song-writing is totally different.

I disagree, I think R2R definitely continues in the same vein as Clayman while also expanding a lot. Production DOES make a huge difference imo.

OnT: Don't hate STYE at all, neither do I love it. Some songs are really good some are okay and some I don't really listen too.

Production may make a huge difference, but even with the muddiness removed and a crisp sound applied there is a totally different sound on the R2R songs. I can't bring back the versions I heard/contributed to but check out Schehf's channel on youtube... the R2R covers he's done are more in the Clayman production style and if we're being honest they wouldn't really fit onto Clayman.

His mixes and overall sound are nowhere near Clayman. He is a decent player for that kind of music, and good composer too from what I could hear, but he cant mix for shit. :)
Guitar sound reeks of that plastic fizziness, and drums could not sound any thinner even if the dude wanted them that way.

I partially agree with krofius, SOME R2R songs would fit in Clayman, but most of them are chugga shit and too far from Clayman style. Honestly ¿do you see Transparent or System as a Clayman song (considering same production)?.
I still think the R2R lyrics are their best from the "new era" sans a few CC songs.