Why do people think Opeth is so great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question.
Here's a better one: Why are you so gay!? :p

Mike:Alexi = PRS:ESP It's really... not difficult.
Um, it's a matter of opinion, unless you get them both onstage and have an unbiased panel of experts who know music well and know what the fuck they're talking about judge them both as they play. But I bet that Opeth fag would be too scared or be too busy with a cock up his ass to meet the challenge anyways :D

Don't give a typo excuse. It's in the perfect place.
How about no, Lady_Rapedacaveman. People who like Opeth more than Bodom are obviously into a completely different style of music. And they're fags too. But it's ok :p

Given all of that: I imagine you're tone deaf anyway.

Add blind and permanently flaccid to the list too, after having seen your pictures :erk:

From one angle, you're promoting other bands in the same vein(I assume) as Opeth, which is fine. From another angle, it seems you're pushing other bands to draw attention away from Opeth. Stop throwing bands in Opeth fans' faces after they explain why they like them. I really don't think the bands mentioned above are candidates for Opeth-substitute, regardless of their sound and what they have to offer.

Yes, OMG, I'm throwing bands in his face to take away fans from Opeth, OMG I'm such a threat, as ONE FUCKING PERSON against the tens of thousands who like Opeth!! I'm sure if I keep it up at this rate, no one will like Opeth in a few weeks!! :Smug:

And fuck you, a band with Vortex on vocals substitutes Opeth for me anyday.

I've only spoken to him via fucking myspace, which is the ultimate get out of jail free card for ignorance and assholes. He's possibly the nicest person I've ever heard from; and that's only going by a simple message.

Ok, I've met A LOT of people in bands... IN PERSON. Guess what! They're ALL nice, except for Amon Amarth* and Borgir... (Excluding Johan who is the fucking MAN)... But who cares if they're nice anyways? What does that have to do with the music? If that's the case then you need to stfu cuz Jaska, Henkka and Roope are the NICEST FUCKING GUYS EVER! So Bodom wins!

And sorry if I'm being too harsh or pissy. But if people are gonna whine then don't expect me to kiss your ass.

I am not an uber fan of them, but they have got some good acoustic parts, like To Bid You Farewell. The Leper Affinity solo flows really well too. But overall, I do not see why so many ppl suck their dicks.

:lol: Exactly what I said, but I tried to pose it in a less "offensive" way, and to be fair. But they still cried. So fuck them!

Um, first off, fuck you. How is the creation of this thread me being an attention whore, or starting an argument? I'm not allowed to start a level headed discussion about a band? Seriously, suck it tubby. And since I already stated it's a matter of opinion, it renders your huge whiney post null and void. :rolleyes:

Bringing in personnal inults to a "level headed discussion". Woah, how unlike you. You don't see me ending half my posts with "suck it pube-lip", because it has nothing to do with the initial post, its just attacking someones character in attempts to look cool on the internet.

Level headed discussions don't include "This band sucks."
The thread is about how you don't like Opeth...what is there to discuss? You tried to get into Opeth, so you can safely assume you arn't asking people to show you some cool songs or somthing.

----

And for the record, my long post was aimed at EVERYONE, not just you. Alot of people get high and mighty about what bands are good or bad, and what you can listen to in order to be cool!

Ah'm gonnae take a moment o' vanity and arsehole behaviour, an' say: everyone please take a moment tae read my first post in this thread again. It does have a point.

Ok, I've met A LOT of people in bands... IN PERSON. Guess what! They're ALL nice, except for Amon Amarth* and Borgir... (Excluding Johan who is the fucking MAN)... But who cares if they're nice anyways? What does that have to do with the music? If that's the case then you need to stfu cuz Jaska, Henkka and Roope are the NICEST FUCKING GUYS EVER! So Bodom wins!
There are two points I was trying to make with the comment about my talking to Mike via myspace.

One- I don't know about you or anyone else, but I really can't enjoy a band's product when I know there are a bunch of douchebags behind it all. After meeting Borgir, I can't listen to a single lick without cringing. (yes, Johan is an exception)

Two- I pointed out the internet factor because it shows that Mike's humble demeanor goes beyond the stage and meet-and-greets. Sure, the Bodom guys are extremely nice, so I've heard; but how can you know for sure if they're all-around nice people? I'm not saying I doubt them, only that I know from experience that many musicians can be very different people depending on their surroundings. They can be great in person while at work, but once they're home they turn into complete dicks and blow off their fans.

I've sent the same simple "hello" messages to various musicians on that wonderful myspace, only to be completely ignored, have my messages deleted, or get nasty responses which take time to write out. Mike is the ONLY exception. In fact, he responded within a few hours, which was extremely unexpected considering he's probably one of the busiest musicians in Stockholm. He's not too busy to write back to one measly little fan.

I have nothing but respect for the guy.

Bringing in personnal inults to a "level headed discussion". Woah, how unlike you. You don't see me ending half my posts with "suck it pube-lip", because it has nothing to do with the initial post, its just attacking someones character in attempts to look cool on the internet.

Level headed discussions don't include "This band sucks."
The thread is about how you don't like Opeth...what is there to discuss? You tried to get into Opeth, so you can safely assume you arn't asking people to show you some cool songs or somthing.

----

And for the record, my long post was aimed at EVERYONE, not just you. Alot of people get high and mighty about what bands are good or bad, and what you can listen to in order to be cool!

Yer right dude, I apologize for calling you tubby, that was gay of me. But I was just pissed that everyone whined (not just your post) eventhough I did my damndest to keep this a fair and open discussion... and it went good for 2 pages until I left. And yeh, obviously people from BOTH sides are gonna say "this band sucks" and "fuck you they rock"... but I was just curious what it was that I was missing. I mean, I have tried them on my own and had others send me what THEY thoguht as Opeth fans were songs that were good and would persuade me to like them. And still nothing. I just wondered if that was ONLY me, or if other people felt that way too.

And if I have a pube lip, it's because I just finished eating yer mom :loco: :p

Here's a better one: Why are you so gay!? :p

I bet that Opeth fag would be too scared or be too busy with a cock up his ass to meet the challenge anyways :D

How about no, Lady_Rapedacaveman. People who like Opeth more than Bodom are obviously into a completely different style of music. And they're fags too. But it's ok :p

Add blind and permanently flaccid to the list too, after having seen your pictures :erk:

And fuck you, a band with Vortex on vocals substitutes Opeth for me anyday.

What does that have to do with the music? If that's the case then you need to stfu cuz Jaska, Henkka and Roope are the NICEST FUCKING GUYS EVER! So Bodom wins!

And sorry if I'm being too harsh or pissy. But if people are gonna whine then don't expect me to kiss your ass.

"Level Headed discussion"...right.

Althogh I agree with being nice having nothing to do with music. Mustaine is douche :p.

And in defence, LR sending PMs to people telling them to post in this thread while digging up evidence is really lame.

Actually it wasn't the other day :p it's been a slow change over the course of months. And no, I've been trying to get into Opeth for years. Never could. So it's not the same cuz I never really listened to powermetal at all, except for Dio and stuff. And in fact, the whole "I'm liking powermetal now" thing is precisely WHY this issue is raised again. Cuz like I said, I always try to give a band a fair chance. But I just can't seem to get into them, so what is the crime in that?

And they might have a unique sound, yes... but then again two pigs shitting on my face would have a unique sound too, but it doesn't make it good. Excuse the analogy :p

I'm just not sure what you want to get out of this thread :lol:

Do you want people to try to change your mind? Or tell you why you should like the band? Or just genuinely curious why they have so many fans?

Either way I think the answer most people on this forum will give is because they are a metal band who are all very skilled in their instruments and who create beautiful acoustic melodies with laid back vocals creating a very mellow atmosphere in many of their songs while still fluidly contrasting with some very nice full sounding growls, very intricate and impressive drumming, heavy guitar riffage, and well composed solos. Being able to pull of both of these styles in a very professional and enjoyable way is what I think brings them such a great fanbase.

If you can't enjoy them then just forget about it for now. If you don't like something and are trying to force yourself into liking it you'll never be able to really appreciate it. Just take a break and try them again in a few months if you are still curious. Don't stress out over it man :)!

np: Cannibal Corpse-Two Pigs Shitting on My Face

There are two points I was trying to make with the comment about my talking to Mike via myspace.

One- I don't know about you or anyone else, but I really can't enjoy a band's product when I know there are a bunch of douchebags behind it all. After meeting Borgir, I can't listen to a single lick without cringing. (yes, Johan is an exception)

There's no one named Johan in Borgir. But it's ok, I'm not a stickler for people knowing EVERY member of EVERY band so I'll let that slide. But, eventhough it does suck if the bands you like are a group of assholes, it doesn't change the fact that their music is good. For me, their personality has no effect on how much I like or dislike them. That's the same as not listening to a band because their lyrics are satanic/christian/etc. Music is music, it's either good or bad.

It's the Michael Jackson thing I always tell people... I don't know the guy, if he's nice or not but even if he raped kids... his music is still awesome regardless..

Two- I pointed out the internet factor because it shows that Mike's humble demeanor goes beyond the stage and meet-and-greets. Sure, the Bodom guys are extremely nice, so I've heard; but how can you know for sure if they're all-around nice people? I'm not saying I doubt them, only that I know from experience that many musicians can be very different people depending on their surroundings. They can be great in person while at work, but once they're home they turn into complete dicks and blow off their fans.

I've sent the same simple "hello" messages to various musicians on that wonderful myspace, only to be completely ignored, have my messages deleted, or get nasty responses which take time to write out. Mike is the ONLY exception. In fact, he responded within a few hours, which was extremely unexpected considering he's probably one of the busiest musicians in Stockholm. He's not too busy to write back to one measly little fan.

I have nothing but respect for the guy.

Ok, well props to him for that. That is cool, although don't think a band are ASSHOLES because they don't reply to your myspace message. Think about all the gay thigns kids send them each day, you'd be a bit more understanding if you did. But still, his kindness has nothing to do with the music.

And yer right about some people in bands also but Jaska and Henkka I can safely say are all around nice people because I have never read ONE bad story about them since 2003 when I became a REAL fan or in any interviews I read that were done prior to then. After hanging with them for a night, I learned they are AMAZING people and I have the utmost respect for those guys, and I owe them both BIGTIME.

sometimes it takes ages to get into a band...
for example, the first time I heard Decapitated, I was like, man this is just shit (I was into the more mellow/melodic stuff at that time) but then I started to get into them, and now they are my current favorite band.
so yea, just give it more time Joe, dont force yourself to like them because that way you'll just get sick of them even more, just let it grow on ya.

Do you want people to try to change your mind? Or tell you why you should like the band? Or just genuinely curious why they have so many fans?

Either way I think the answer most people on this forum will give is because they are a metal band who are all very skilled in their instruments and who create beautiful acoustic melodies with laid back vocals creating a very mellow atmosphere in many of their songs while still fluidly contrasting with some very nice full sounding growls, very intricate and impressive drumming, heavy guitar riffage, and well composed solos. Being able to pull of both of these styles in a very professional and enjoyable way is what I think brings them such a great fanbase.

If you can't enjoy them then just forget about it for now. If you don't like something and are trying to force yourself into liking it you'll never be able to really appreciate it. Just take a break and try them again in a few months if you are still curious. Don't stress out over it man :)!

QFT and LMFAO!

sometimes it takes ages to get into a band...
for example, the first time I heard Decapitated, I was like, man this is just shit (I was into the more mellow/melodic stuff at that time) but then I started to get into them, and now they are my current favorite band.
so yea, just give it more time Joe, dont force yourself to like them because that way you'll just get sick of them even more, just let it grow on ya.

hey man can you tell me what songs decapitated will probably play in an hour set?

:lol: Very well said, mate. Is that CC tune yer listening tae from their upcoming album? Like, demos or such like? :p Dunno aboot their fanbase, though. Seriously, you ever been tae the Opeth forum? Some o' the people there, they're, uh, I dunno the P.C. term tae use, but I dunno if I'd describe them as "great" as a collective lot.

:lol: Sorry man XD

:lol: If you don't like Bodom, fine. But it's good for you cuz you don't have to worry about going totheir shows then because guess what: You live in the jungle. And unless they come up with a "Canopy Warhearts" live CD, I think you're safe ;) :p

The fuck you're talking about, you're canadian :loco:

Canadians instantly fail at mocking other people's countries. Take your tongue off US's cock and we'll talk :loco:

hey man can you tell me what songs decapitated will probably play in an hour set?

haven't seen them live yet :( I was gonna go to one of their shows earlier this year, but the venue they were playing in is for over 18's so...

There's no one named Johan in Borgir.

Ok, well props to him for that. That is cool, although don't think a band are ASSHOLES because they don't reply to your myspace message.
Ok, so Jan. Jens, Jan, Johan, too many common names to keep straight. My bad.

I know kids send random "omfgz ur my idol i love you" type messages and such, I've sent a few and it didn't bug me really when I didn't hear back. I was just glad they read. However in the cases where I wrote with substance and skipped over the fangirl stuff, really made an effort to produce casual conversation, then wasn't replied to... those irked me. The way I look at it, it only takes maybe 15 seconds to write something short and sweet. If these bands have personal accounts and are checking messages from people they don't know, they're looking for something to keep them busy, I think.

But whatever, that was a level-headed response from you to me. I think this may be a first...

:lol: Very well said, mate. Is that CC tune yer listening tae from their upcoming album? Like, demos or such like? :p Dunno aboot their fanbase, though. Seriously, you ever been tae the Opeth forum? Some o' the people there, they're, uh, I dunno the P.C. term tae use, but I dunno if I'd describe them as "great" as a collective lot.

haha thanks. yeah, it seems attract many pretentious assholes for whatever reason :lol:

but i just meant great as in number :p

Status
Not open for further replies.