Why Dream Theater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't really say this was a DT vs. SX thread :erk:

Yeah DT are overated but they also have some brilliant work (all of SFAM, In The Name of God, most of SDOIT). It's just a shame that for me 75% of their songs lack the one thing that makes my spine tingle and my heart melt; pure passion.

There are some of their songs that do lack passion--yet there are passages on Awake and Octavarium especially that I am genuinely moved by. Some of it seems to be totally subjective.

*Shrugs*

I love both bands. Some one said they're entirely different, and i completely agree with that. Both bands really do it for me, granted Dream Theater were my first 'Prog' band, and I'd probably listen to them more than I do Symphony X, but that's only because I'm new to Symp X, and only have Oddesy....a friend of mine described them as 'Dream Theater if Dream Theater had a male singer'.

Some of you might enjoy that quote.

I love LaBrie's vocal work, although it can delve into a bit of 'cheese' factor.

I very much like Allens vocals, but the 'gruff' voice he uses gets a little on my nerves...but it is used tastefully...I just really like his normal singing voice, and his range is fucking awesome!!!!

I don't think I've really said anything important here, but hey, this is the internet.

I wish that either band would tour Australia, we never get any love :(

I'll wade in here with my 2 cents and begin by asking a question. Have any of you on this thread been to Gigantour? Hopefully, you have and if you have you have noticed that DT is carrying this debacle of a show despite the lack of talent in some of the other bands. It's the truth...I've been to a show and witnessed it myself...message boards all over are relating the same message. DT f***in' own this tour. Pure & simple. Now, I like SX...I really do, but there is no way in hell they could draw like DT can & carry this tour. Reason? DT has more fans because they are the reigning masters of this genre...like it or not. That is just the way of the world...if you are good, they will come. Every band in this genre...SX, PoS, Vanden Plas, etc. have been compared to DT...why? DT set the standard for all others to follow and they continue to do so. Some lead...others follow...again, the way of the world.
With all this being said, I am looking forward to SX's new release because the last 2 have been less than par according to the standard...which was set by DT many years ago. SX really need to step up to the plate and deliver this time...because myself and others who listen to them are getting tired of the rehashed Yngwie riffs.

Why DT? Because Images and Words is such a great album. I think they're great songwriters, and great players. They consistently put on great shows with surprise covers and a lot of variety in their setlists.

That being said, I didn't like the last 3 albums much. But I think they did a lot for the prog genre. Sure, they weren't the ONLY ones to shape prog metal, but they did their part and then some.

*shrug* I like most of DT's stuff. I can see how it's not for everyone, though.

I got into DT years ago. Then when I heard Symx, I was blown away by the fact there could be something more melodic than DT but still as complex. Nowadays I listen to both of them equally and enjoy every bit of it.

Hey,

don't really need them. I usually say: "WTF do you need DT for, if you can have Symx?" ;)

No honestly: DT imo is very much overrated. I happen to own one DT-CD (Live at the marque), which I've once bought as a special offer. And I have to say it's absolutely enough. Won't ever buy another one. From now and then I give them a listen at the store. But every time I do so, I find out again that no matter what CD I choose, it's not worth the money.

Ascension said:
I'll wade in here with my 2 cents and begin by asking a question. Have any of you on this thread been to Gigantour? Hopefully, you have and if you have you have noticed that DT is carrying this debacle of a show despite the lack of talent in some of the other bands. It's the truth...I've been to a show and witnessed it myself...message boards all over are relating the same message. DT f***in' own this tour. Pure & simple. Now, I like SX...I really do, but there is no way in hell they could draw like DT can & carry this tour. Reason? DT has more fans because they are the reigning masters of this genre...like it or not. That is just the way of the world...if you are good, they will come. Every band in this genre...SX, PoS, Vanden Plas, etc. have been compared to DT...why? DT set the standard for all others to follow and they continue to do so. Some lead...others follow...again, the way of the world.
With all this being said, I am looking forward to SX's new release because the last 2 have been less than par according to the standard...which was set by DT many years ago. SX really need to step up to the plate and deliver this time...because myself and others who listen to them are getting tired of the rehashed Yngwie riffs.

I disagree, but of course its all opinion, there are no facts.

I went to Gigantour and wasn't into DT when they played. They got more fans because somehow they just ended up getting exposed more than any other prog band. It would've been to same with SX if they were somehow exposed like DT was, and instead of DT.

I personally don't care though, I just have a hard time listening to anything dream theater lately. I don't know what it is, but their songs lack a certain melodic feeling that I like in the music I listen to. Like Opeth, they have some of the best melodies in all of music combined, DT can't even compare to that because their songs seem have a different mood. I don't know, but I do know that there are no facts. If you like DT, that's your opinion, if you don't that your opinion. Doesn't matter who's more popular, who leads concerts, who does what, choose your own musical tastes.

Ascension said:

Which message boards are you referring to? The Dream Theater ones? :p

Anyway, Yes DT are the most popular "progmetal" band so inevitably every band that has "prog" leanings will be compared to them. But honestly, there is no reason in comparing SymX to DT because they don't sound alike at all. If it weren't for the "progmetal" tag, no one would care. Thats one reason I hate genres. And IMO the only band on the mainstage that I care about seeing is the one that is defying genres - Nevermore.

Whoa, I leave for a few days, and all hell breaks loose on my thread. I was not trying to create a DT vs. SX thread, I don't think they are comparable. I was just wondering why DT gets so much credit because I don't see it. Is it because they are semi-popular? It's not like they are selling 10 million records. I also did not mean to admit "Images and Words" I did listen to that one, I meant to say "When Days and Dreams Unite", the one without James, I didn't listen to that one.
I do find it humorous that whoever posted the 4th reply on here said that no one with a brain argues about this kind of stuff, but then he still continued to give his opinion, haha. I just thought it was funny :)

Yngvai X said:
Anyway, Yes DT are the most popular "progmetal" band so inevitably every band that has "prog" leanings will be compared to them. But honestly, there is no reason in comparing SymX to DT because they don't sound alike at all. If it weren't for the "progmetal" tag, no one would care. Thats one reason I hate genres. And IMO the only band on the mainstage that I care about seeing is the one that is defying genres - Nevermore.

I still can't see why most people refer to DT as being Metal. I wasn't aware of this until I'd read it anywhere on the net. But I definitely don't agree to this. As to the Prog-touch, I also can't see it. Only having keys doesn't mean they are prog. And as to Metal, they lack everything that determines Metal for me. First of all there's the singer. LBrie squeaks like a schoolboy and ther drumming also doesn't correspond to my view of metal. And second there is too little variety in their playing.
To my mind they will always and forever be a (admittedly) good Rock band.

Progbass said:
Haha, Jax is joining to this DT bashing thread...Just Kidding!!

:lol: Nope, not me, I'm with MJR & think the whole thing is friggin inane. Just pointing out that it's all about personal opinion..some folks think DT's latest stuff is weak, some folks think SymX's latest stuff is weak..there is no FACT on the subject, it's all in the ear of the beholder, and you simply can't shove your opinion down other peoples throats. If you really want to debate it, though, you have to give equal credit to both sides. Know what I mean? :)

It's all a matter of whether or not you approve of SyX's slide to the more metal side of their music. I, personally, don't give a crap which way they go. I like both prog and metal.

The minute they start playing mallcore laced crap I'm hunting Michael Romeo down and beating him to death with his awesome new Caparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.