Why Dream Theater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thraxz said:
It's all a matter of whether or not you approve of SyX's slide to the more metal side of their music. I, personally, don't give a crap which way they go. I like both prog and metal.

The minute they start playing mallcore laced crap I'm hunting Michael Romeo down and beating him to death with his awesome new Caparison.

lol@mallcore

face it people, OPINION is a strong word, just don't let it too loose.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For all of you DT SouthAmerican lovers:

Sat Dec 03, 2005 Buenos Aires, Argentina Obras Sanitarias
Sun Dec 04, 2005 Buenos Aires, Argentina Obras Sanitarias
Tue Dec 06, 2005 Santiago, Chile Velodrome
Fri Dec 09, 2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Claro Hall
Sat Dec 10, 2005 Sao Paulo, Brazil Credicard Hall
Sun Dec 11, 2005 Sao Paulo, Brazil Credicard Hall
Tue Dec 13, 2005 Caracas, Venezuela El Poliedro
I THINK I'M GONNA CRY :tickled::headbang:

I'm totally there the 2 days in Obras, been waiting for this since '98

How bout SX joining in and make this an even wetter dream come true?:p

mask_x said:
And second there is too little variety in their playing.

SX vs DT and all that other stuff aside...............that is the most uneducated and downright ridiculous things that has ever been said against Dream Theater. At least say something that is either 1)true or 2)opinion based. I'm not trying to be an ass or call you out (though i know thats exactly what it seems like im doing), but that statement leads me to believe you have only heard 1 or 2 of their songs.

Thraxz said:
It's all a matter of whether or not you approve of SyX's slide to the more metal side of their music. I, personally, don't give a crap which way they go. I like both prog and metal.

Yes that's it. The "more metasl side". That's what I'm missing in DT's music. Ans so I don't understand why they claim to be metal, but I can accept them to be prog.

mask_x said:
Yes that's it. The "more metasl side". That's what I'm missing in DT's music. Ans so I don't understand why they claim to be metal, but I can accept them to be prog.

So...l'm gathering that you haven't even heard the Train of Thought release...which has songs on it that are, well...just metal in about every sense of the word. Also, you probably haven't seen them on the Gigantour...heavy and loud as hell! Definitely showing their "metal roots". l mean...they're blowing Megadeth away...Deth is definitively metal.
Anyway, DT are "prog" metal...there is a difference believe it or not.

How could DT be metal when they are only heavy when they play seven string guitars? I feel that metal and heaviness are attitudes, and if you have to tune everything down just to be "heavy" then you are lacking the attitude, and I would not classify you as metal. Look at Metallica, they used Standard Tuning primarily for 20 years, and they still achieved a heavy sound. Train of Though is a puny attempt to be something they are not, and I think it just ended up sounding like Nu Metal with crappy vocals and shredding solos. Just my humble opinion.

Statler Waldorf said:
How could DT be metal when they are only heavy when they play seven string guitars? I feel that metal and heaviness are attitudes, and if you have to tune everything down just to be "heavy" then you are lacking the attitude, and I would not classify you as metal. Look at Metallica, they used Standard Tuning primarily for 20 years, and they still achieved a heavy sound. Train of Though is a puny attempt to be something they are not, and I think it just ended up sounding like Nu Metal with crappy vocals and shredding solos. Just my humble opinion.

Consider yourself humbled :tickled:

L. Knight said:
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For all of you DT SouthAmerican lovers:

Sat Dec 03, 2005 Buenos Aires, Argentina Obras Sanitarias
Sun Dec 04, 2005 Buenos Aires, Argentina Obras Sanitarias
Tue Dec 06, 2005 Santiago, Chile Velodrome
Fri Dec 09, 2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Claro Hall
Sat Dec 10, 2005 Sao Paulo, Brazil Credicard Hall
Sun Dec 11, 2005 Sao Paulo, Brazil Credicard Hall
Tue Dec 13, 2005 Caracas, Venezuela El Poliedro
I THINK I'M GONNA CRY :tickled::headbang:

I'm totally there the 2 days in Obras, been waiting for this since '98

How bout SX joining in and make this an even wetter dream come true?:p
Yeah, this is going to be a nice year with international bands :D

Haha, wow, Ascension sure did prove me wrong. Despite the fact that he did not even respond to my argument, I guess I was way wrong! I am sure glad someone with such great insight and intellegence showed me the light. haha.

Statler, just shrug it off man.

There's always going to be people "preaching the DT gospel", impervious to anything that could possibly prove them wrong.

Just let it go, it's a lost cause.

But even if you don't like it yourself, DT-fans have every right to enjoy what they enjoy.

While I don't think they're a note-perfect band by any means, I don't like it when people imply there's something wrong with me for a genuine liking of albums like Awake and Octavarium. You cannot prove a sentiment I feel to be wrong. Maybe you can prove technicalities where Symphony X is superior (and I'd tend to agree in most regards), but my feelings are an entirely different matter. LaBrie's singing brings a smile to my face and gets ME singing...actually more so than Russell Allen. Allen's a FANTASTIC vocalist in his own right, but I just cannot sing with him as I can with LaBrie, and that does mean something for my listening experience. How would you like it if I implied you were defective for being a devoted fan of a band YOU enjoy a lot that maybe I don't?

I'm with you, Rose. What's with people hating Labrie? I really like his vocals.

I just got back from Gigantour, and DT played a GREAT set. Even the new stuff that I don't like too much, they absolutely nailed it. To perform their stuff with that kind of consistency is an achievement that many bands can't touch. And Portnoy is such a showman, he really makes it fun.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I'm with you, Rose. What's with people hating Labrie? I really like his vocals.

I can understand why his voice would bother those who aren't into high-pitched singers, or those with very nasal or breathy voices. Some people have actually used the fact that I--a female--find his voice so easy to sing with, as a way of insulting his masculinity. :( I can tell you, though, that he can sing way BELOW my range in notes I couldn't dream of hitting. And he most definitely has very male lung capacity. (Most women physically do not have the same lung power a man does.) And when I sing, I tend to do so in a fairly nasal style (that's just the way I've hit upon that works and I feel comfortable with)...so I get a fairly decent blending effect that I sure as hell can't get with Russ Allen.

Incidentally, Russell Allen and Hansi Kürsch are the two singers that make me feel THE most incompetent, trying to sing along with. I love them dearly as singers, but I can't even approach what they do. My voice just WILL NOT do it. I may hit the notes, but I just feel kinda embarrassed to try, even when no one's around. Whereas with LaBrie...I can sometimes even get that screeching he does, and I was NEVER able to do that before I started playing around with DT records.

SO much is down to personal preference and other factors (such as the timbre of one's own voice) that I think it's crazy to tell people who are fans of a band or a singer or whatever that they're nuts. Maybe I'm in a minority or something, but it doesn't make me WRONG.

everybody just buy and watch the budakon dvd and you will love the band even if you already do you will love em even more!!!!!!!!

The extent to which SX followed DT is far greater than their fans like to admit. Dream Theater basically invented the entire "epic/progressive" metal genre on their first three albums. What separates these albums from their later work or even work by the legions of bands that followed in their wake is that the solos actually have relevance within the songs. Listen to Learning to Live, for example, to see what I mean. It has perfect flow, and yet retains technicallity and complexity. The solos in that song and most other old DT songs are used to enhance the songs rather than as it is now where the songs enhance the solos. I think that Symphony X is (almost) as guilty of this as Dream Theater is (See: the Odyssey), as are Shadow Gallery and whatever other bands fall into that genre. Still, DT live is totally different. Even if I don't like some of the songs, it was still amazing to see.

But then again, Fates Warning is better than every single modern "progressive metal" (and I use that term loosely) band. Listen to Disconnected to see what I mean. Its a relatively new album and its far better than anything put out recently by SX OR DT.

Meedleyx10 said:
SX vs DT and all that other stuff aside...............that is the most uneducated and downright ridiculous things that has ever been said against Dream Theater. At least say something that is either 1)true or 2)opinion based. I'm not trying to be an ass or call you out (though i know thats exactly what it seems like im doing), but that statement leads me to believe you have only heard 1 or 2 of their songs.

I used to have their first three CDs for about 10 years (I've been intrduced to them back in 1994). Anytime later I've also bought the 'Live at the Marquee', which is the only one, I still own. During the years I've sold all the rest, because I 've seen no reason why I should keep them. But I'm doing ok with this Live-CD and with considering them beeing Rock. And, yes, I've never and will never buy another one if their Cd's.

And indeed. Playing loud and fast doesn't mean the band is a Metal-band. Rock can also be loud and fast but equally be bad. So it's always a question of the view one has.

For me there are many good bands, but DT is not among them. I really don't care for them.

Rose Immortal said:
SO much is down to personal preference and other factors (such as the timbre of one's own voice) that I think it's crazy to tell people who are fans of a band or a singer or whatever that they're nuts. Maybe I'm in a minority or something, but it doesn't make me WRONG.

I've never had the feeling that this thread was against people who like DT. I've always seen it as thread to speak/write about the pros and cons of their music and the reasons why you like/dislike them. So your statement is pro; where's the problem. Why should anything make you WRONG?? What made you feel like this.

mask_x: It is statements like this one, earlier in the thread, where this person quite directly implies that those of us who like DT can be proven wrong, as if he thought he had some kind of hard, scientific data to do the proving.

ShokaiShimizu said:
There's always going to be people "preaching the DT gospel", impervious to anything that could possibly prove them wrong.

This sort of thing is the source of my irritation. The ONLY thing you can prove are some technical-skill measures, but that is only a tiny part of the experience of a band's music.

Rose Immortal is correct, the only thing you can debate is a band's technical skill level, however that is the very thing I was wanting to debate when I started this thread. Dream Theater has this certain arrogance to them, that they are the undisputed "Prog Kings", so after noticing this while I was reading stuff on their website and watching their videos and interviews and such I began to ask myself "What makes them so special?" I then proceded to listen to all of their records (excluding WDDU) looking for what made them so speical. I have watched all their live videos, I have had front row seats to watch Petrucci play at G3, and I have even listened to the LTE cds. I still do not see anything that separates them so far apart from teh other prog bands. I know that some of you say it's because of their profound influence on the genre, but they themselves were heavily influenced by earlier prog bands, are these bands then superior to DT? I know that they really affect all of us in different ways, this cannot be debated, I just want to know WHY? Why do they get the credit they do, why do they think of themselves so highly, and finally why do their fans insist on not branching out and giving other bands even a listen? Trust me, my guitar teacher is one of their biggest fans, and he won't even listen to other bands. I just want to know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.