Will Opeth Be Remembered?

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I think Opeth are one of the finest bands in the world right now, if not the greatest.

But alot of people still don't know too much about them...at least, not in the States. And I think that six CD's into their existence, they should be hailed as the something great. I know we all do, but do you think that's enough?

I know to most they feel a certain intimacy with this awesome band...'this is my band.' And it will perhaps remain that way. But do you want this band to be remembered as a special band twenty, thirty years later?

I think thats one good about them and indeed Katatonia... they don't have to be known to be great, just make fucking nice music, which they are very good at.

I'd take not well known over sellouts anyday :)
I beleive they will be remembered as a great influence to Metal music.

I think Opeth will always live on in future music.. I mean how many musicians on here for one are influenced by Opeth? I think their impact on the music scene of today will be unavoidable for a long time to come.

I am pretty sure that in thirty years or so, when I am an aging man, I'll pull out my old Opeth CDs, drift away to the tunes, and remember how much I love them when I was a kid.

In fact, I can't wait to do this...and I can introduce them to my kids, if I ever have kids, and say 'This was the music your old man loved back in the day, listen well'.

Man, that day will rule. :D

opeth are gaining huge amounts of publicity now, they've been in so many magazines, and some really big ones like guitar world...

i think they'll be "legends" after about another two albums.

It depends on how the next generation's music will be inspired by Opeth...if they inadvertently spawn lesser artists (already happening, some would say...), their legacy will be affected...I think their place is secure, as Opeth was at the forefront of the current wave of bands balancing prog and death metal influences...

Originally posted by Static
I am pretty sure that in thirty years or so, when I am an aging man, I'll pull out my old Opeth CDs, drift away to the tunes, and remember how much I love them when I was a kid.

Wouldn't it be even better if, when you and I are aging men, we will be able to pull out the old Opeth CDs and give them a listen again because we're all revved up for the upcoming 25th or whatever Opeth album?

In the meantime, I'll enjoy what they do as they do it, and hope they continue to make beautiful music for a long time to come.

Well, I guess it's our job to pass it on to another generation. The Opeth fanbase is growing all the time, and I think that they will be generally considered as a classic metal band in the future.

what if Opeth changes their music. Many bands has done that so far and i dont think theyll keep on with making the music they do now. They will evolve.

Originally posted by Mariner
what if Opeth changes their music. Many bands has done that so far and i dont think theyll keep on with making the music they do now. They will evolve.

Well, I can't speak for Mikael of course, but from all the interviews and stuff I got the impression that Mikael would probably put an end to the band Opeth and start something fresh when he wanted to do more drastic changes (so that one couldn't immediately recognize it as Opeth anymore).

They all will certainly evolve, we all know that, but it won't be called Opeth if it isn't Opeth.

I really think Opeth will be remembered in the distant future. I agree with many of your points on this topic. I believe that they don't need publicity, fame, recognition, or anything to that extent. As long as the metal community and myself know about them they are very popular. Opeth are great...And they will never lose my respect.

Yeah, in these days when just about any out of print thrash album from the 80s is designated a classic by someone, I doubt a band that has created an ouevre as impressive as Opeth will recede from the memory of anyone who is an avid follower of metal now...

Originally posted by metalmancpa
They'll be remembered by me - and that's all that matters

My thoughts exactly. Who cares if they achieve "creed" status? Honestly, I hope they don't - not because I don't want them to succeed, bloody hell, they deserve all the success in the world... but because I don't want them to become something that the idiot masses take hold of, adulate, and then throw away. They are SO FAR BEYOND THAT, it's unimaginable to me.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I think Opeth will always live on in future music.. I mean how many musicians on here for one are influenced by Opeth? I think their impact on the music scene of today will be unavoidable for a long time to come.

I am a musician and I am HEAVILY influenced by Opeth. I listen to them almost every day. All the songs that I've written since I discovered Opeth are definitely influenced by them... and it makes me happy that even though they're so amazing, I don't feel daunted when I listen to them, I feel INSPIRED. After I listen to them, I don't want to give up and sell my guitar just because I'm afraid I'll never be that good... I just want to sit down and write music. That's the kinship I feel with them... they are incredible talent fused with friendliness toward their audience, and an unparalleled accessibility for those with the right tastes. Peter said in a new(ish) interview (see the post about it on this board) that he likes the idea of the listener interpreting the music and taking something away from it, saying, "...it is like a dialogue between us and you." I think that's such a great attitude...

I know all of us who take the time to post on this board will remember Opeth as being part of our lives and I think that's the greatest reward that either we OR the band would really ask for. They've shared themselves with us. and we've understood it on a level that is rare in the highly disposable music industry of today. We as fans simply appreciate them for all that they are, and that sincerity in itself is something to be remembered.