Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Ganymede

New Metal Member
Nov 24, 2005
Deep space
Which country, throughout the history of metal music, has consistently produced the best metal bands?
Note: If you select "other", please post your specific country of choice.

The Grimace said:
Lithuania.

Name 3 bands from Lithuania that are good. The only former Soviet republic band that I like is Nokturnal Mortum (Ukraine), and yes I know they are a racist band. So is Destroyer 666 among many other black metal acts.

Norway/Sweden haven't really had that much good come out of them since the glory days of death and black metal (Nasheim being one exception). I think the best stuff now is the black metal coming out of Ukraine and to a lesser extent Russia; Temnozor, Nokturnal Mortum, Hate Forest (only recently defunct), Dub Buk, Drudkh, Astrofaes, Forest, etc. etc. Granted, none of this stuff is as good as Norway's output in the early-mid 90s, but what in metal is?

edit: Really though, divisions by country have ceased to be relevant. I don't think there's as much good metal coming out these days so it's more like there's a few disparate bands from every country that ever had a scene still making good music, rather than one scene that undeniably leads shoulders above all others.

polarity3 said:
Sweden haven't really had that much good come out of them since the glory days of death and black metal.

Haha, what are u talking about?
just look at swanö, he and many others (to many to mention ) :loco:
creates >GOOD< music all of the time.
Our death + sub genre scene is huge!

yet they'r just un-discovered for u...
U have to look a bit closer on sweden:Spin:

breeding death said:
Haha, what are u talking about?
just look at swanö, he and many others (to many to mention ) :loco:
creates >GOOD< music all of the time.
Our death + sub genre scene is huge!

yet they'r just un-discovered for u...
U have to look a bit closer on sweden:Spin:

You seem stupid...

OnT: Hell,I don´t listen to new metal but I must say that our scandinavian and the aussies scene have been the best so far (the NWOBHM gets honourable mention)

why the hell was my UK vote the first one? Is everyone forgetting where metal came from? Seriously, what's so good about Sweden's output compared to the UK, great some melodeath...where would metal be without British bands.

As much as i love Britain, I've got to admit i voted for Norway. Apart from Napalm Death and Mithras, there's not too much i like from Britain... especially since i'm not o fan of NWOBHM. Also, Britain is responsible for the travesty that is Cradle of Filth

holy SHIT polarity made a great post...un fucking believable. I agree with him, some of the modern Ukrainian black metal/symphonic black metal stuff these days is excellent, as well as modern French "religious/philosophical" BM...

Sweden. Everytime I hear something really good it's from Sweden and besides what else is there? America is ruining metal, Finlands too small, Germany has the attitude but not the music, and uh... well I just don't have as much of a "thing" for Norway. Runner up though.

High On Maiden said:
why the hell was my UK vote the first one? Is everyone forgetting where metal came from? Seriously, what's so good about Sweden's output compared to the UK, great some melodeath...where would metal be without British bands.
Perhaps because he said "consistently produced great bands". While no one can deny the fact that UK produced some amazing bands in the 70s and 80s, it pretty much stopped there. We don't hear about a lot of great new metal bands coming from UK these days.

AsModEe said:
Perhaps because he said "consistently produced great bands". While no one can deny the fact that UK produced some amazing bands in the 70s and 80s, it pretty much stopped there. We don't hear about a lot of great new metal bands coming from UK these days.

Well put.

Germany, because they have great bands of EVERY genre.

US is strongest in death metal and brutal death metal.
Sweden is stongest in melodeath.
Greece is strongest in black metal.
UK/Ireland is strongest in doom.
Ireland is strongest in folk metal.
UK is strongest in trad metal.
Germany is strongest in thrash and power/speed metal, and is a very strong contender in death metal and black metal, having many great bands in all genres.