Worst metal band name ever

>>>>Most of the riffs, actually. The entire foundation of every song, the way that they're structured, is very Thrash oriented

Hmm...I just gave it a listen, and you're right, I didn't realize how much thrash was in there under the keys and vox. I still think vox helps greate a genre, but it's pretty much smack in the middle of the two...

Scott

>>>They're not fucking black metal! They're symphonic extreme metal!

You have to admit there is some blackness to their sound. I know, admitting it makes you feel like "pure" bm bands lose some credibility. :p Their first CD's are straight blackmetal to me...they just changed things up some.

Scott

Nah, vocals don't have anything to do with it. Genres just have a tendency to conform to an established form of vocals. But look at Thrash Metal. You have many melodic singers, and you also have a lot of growlers and shriekers.

SheisMySin said:

You have to admit there is some blackness to their sound. I know, admitting it makes you feel like "pure" bm bands lose some credibility. :p Their first CD's are straight blackmetal to me...they just changed things up some.

Scott

We weren't talking about the early albums. I consider For All Tid and Stormblast symphonic black metal, albeit not very good. I'm unfamiliar with the early works of Cradle Of Filth.

SheisMySin said:

Scott

First of all saying "admitting it makes you feel like "pure" bm bands lose some credibility" just fucks your whole argument in the ass. No offense, but I like plenty of really gay fucking bands to offset my utter love of raw black metal (for instance, I think the new Raunchy CD is amazingly great).

Anyways, yeah the first CDs are black metal, but as Matt said, THAT'S NOT THE ERA WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.

>>>Nah, vocals don't have anything to do with it.

I disagree. Vocals play a role in the music just like any other instrument. Why should one part not be counted?

>>>Genres just have a tendency to conform to an established form of vocals. But look at Thrash Metal. You have many melodic singers, and you also have a lot of growlers and shriekers.

Yeah, agreed...but all those still go with the thrash sound.

Scott

PS - Nice to see someone else likes Raunchy, I was debating getting that CD, but think I will now! :p

Speaking of Raunchy - THAT is the worst fucking metal name ever. I asked a local record store if they had the latest release, and it felt so embarassing asking for that name.

Scott

Haha...but do you LIKE it? I know their name is fucking terrible, but they're fucking Dutchies, so whatever, maybe it means something different there.

If you like the CD, you earn a bit of respect back from me; it's easily one of the catchiest, most well-written metalcore/melo-death CDs I've heard in a long ass time.

Also, I mentioned it in another topic, but vocals do not matter in metal...Kalmah and CoB (Kalmah to a lesser extent cuz they can be more melo-death-y when they wanna be) are power metal, but they have harsh vocals. Vocals may play a small role in setting up an archetype for metal genres (in general, death metal has low, growling vocals, etc., etc.), but they are not a defining factor. The defining factors are usually atmosphere, focus on rhythm, song structure, et al.

>>>Haha...but do you LIKE it?

I like all the samples on myspace, and amazon that I have heard. They sound very similar to Soilwork, but are everything Soilwork should be.

Scott

Carcassian said:
Necrodeath is worse: deathdeath ?

yea, b.s. too.

Anal Nosorog

(nosorog is russian word that means rhino. how the hell rhino can be anal?!)