Worst Opeth Song Moment

Is that something subliminal i can hear at the end of 'By The I See In Others'? Has anyone actually translated it?

It's amaizing.. :D I discovered it while playing with effects on audacity then saw that video on youtube :p

Last edited by a moderator:
In mist she was standing - intro
Night and the Silent Water - anything up to 7.40
to bid you farewell - 7.15 - 9.24
Godheads Lament - wailing bits.
By the pain I see in others - 5.12 - 6.30 - Feels insincere, bit too circus-ey.
In my time of need - "annnd IIII"
Isolation Years - high bits.
Lotus Eater - "LIIIIGHT" (if that's what the word was)

Let's see...

Serenity Painted Death- like someone else said, first half a minute or so of riffing is just kind of meh and uninspired sounding, so are a few other riffs and melodies in the song.
Harlequin Forest- Eek. I love almost all of GR but just don't care for most of this song at all. If I had to pick out one single moment, it'd be the quiet guitar harmonics part, just by itself, then Mikael comes in and sings, "Nocturnally helpless..." Just sounds sooo boring and lame to me.
Burden- The ending down-tuned acoustic little bit. Just don't care for it, a bad way to end a good song.
The Apostle in Triumph- "IN THIS FOREST!! WHERE WOLVES CRY THEIR AGONY UNTO THE MOOOON!!!" Yeah, nuff said. Unfortunate, cause I do really love the beginning and ending of this song, it's just the middle that's full of cringe-worthy moments.
Porcelain Heart- The main riff when it gets repeated ad nauseum toward the end of the song, just is boring and sounds too much like the riff from TGC.
Master's Apprentices- I really, really like this song, I just think the "There is a..." section at the top is a bit too long and monotonous, otherwise an excellent song. As a matter of fact, Deliverance really has very few "bad" moments, it's an extremely T I G H T album, moreso than any of their others, even if it's not quite my favorite. (It's up there, though, probably 3rd place).

Harlequin Forest- Eek. I love almost all of GR but just don't care for most of this song at all. If I had to pick out one single moment, it'd be the quiet guitar harmonics part, just by itself, then Mikael comes in and sings, "Nocturnally helpless..." Just sounds sooo boring and lame to me.

Woa dude! Are you serious? That´s one of my favourite Opeth moments ever:)

i...wallowed in shame

its so fucking cheesy, i feel emberassed for mike when i listen to it. however, its courageously personal and an awesome part in an awesome song.

In mist she was standing - intro
Night and the Silent Water - anything up to 7.40
to bid you farewell - 7.15 - 9.24
Godheads Lament - wailing bits.
By the pain I see in others - 5.12 - 6.30 - Feels insincere, bit too circus-ey.
In my time of need - "annnd IIII"
Isolation Years - high bits.
Lotus Eater - "LIIIIGHT" (if that's what the word was)

I love all these moments, barring "The Lotus Eater" which I haven't heard yet.

Alrighty,

Advent: 1.18 - 1.57. Otherwise the song is perfect.
TNATSW: The growls on the Roundhouse outro. I would have preferred whispers.
When: I agree the 'And I cried..' seemed bad when I first heard it, but I learned to love it and find it quite powerful. I had to, it's my favourite Opeth song.
Bleak: Steven Wilson's vocals. I love SW and PT but Mikael's growl needs to go with Mikael's clean voice. SW just seemed really high and quite whiney in it.
The Funeral Portrait: The first heavy riff. Ah so don't like it. Weird though, I enjoy it when it comes in later.
A Fair Judgement: The instrumental chorus riff. Now I know y'all love AFJ but I really don't think this section is inspiring at all.
Master's Apprentices: The heavy riff at the end after the mellow section. Pretty much ruins the song for me.
Ghost Reveries: TGC

Conclusion: I love Opeth, don't take the above to heart.

Awe, also don't like main riff of "The Drapery Falls", especially in the end of the song. It's not too good idea to repeat it so much times.

Completely can't find something interesting in "Patterns in the Ivy" and "For Absent Friends". "Patterns in the Ivy II" and "Still Day Beneath the Sun" are also bad.

The beginning of a fair judgment. Too long of a piano solo, without it going anywhere. (I mean, doesn't have to change harmonies. Just expand (musically) the thing if it's 1 minute long.