Worst Opeth Song Moment

Originally posted by Lutz
The album Blackwater Park.

I fucking hate it when people do this..... it's ALWAYS BWP, my favorite album of all time....

As far as I'm concerned, my least favorite part is in BRI from where the music stops and you hear the beach.... then until that cool bass rhythm comes in. That whole section sounds like filler. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if everything after that were soooooo good.... from the point where he does the vocal solo to the hypnotic ending (no, it should definately not stop at 15:00 or whatever), its perfect.....

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
Recently.....
Andromeda - Extension of the Wish
Planet X - Moonbabies
Angel Dust - Of Human Bondage
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Agalloch - The Mantle
Spock's Beard - Snow
Dream Theater - Live at the Marquee
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Devin Townsend - Terria

Great albums anyway... :cool:

I can't understand how some people can't get into Blackwater Park. That was the album that started me out on Opeth, and the title track was the first song I heard - it blew my fucking mind. I only really liked The Drapery Falls and the title track for a while, but lately I've fallen in love with The Funeral Portrait (love those solos) and The Leper Affinity.

Btw, that's not saying my boner for Orchid is smaller now :p.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I can't understand how some people can't get into Blackwater Park. That was the album that started me out on Opeth, and the title track was the first song I heard - it blew my fucking mind. I only really liked The Drapery Falls and the title track for a while, but lately I've fallen in love with The Funeral Portrait (love those solos) and The Leper Affinity.

Btw, that's not saying my boner for Orchid is smaller now :p.

Yes, same here. Everytime people ask me for good opeth-songs, I mainly refer them to BWP-tracks like "The Leper Affinity" and "The Drapery falls".. still, I think Morningrise is better.

And, it took about 4 months for me to like Opeth, and I'm very aware of telling people this. So they don't expect Opeth to smash right into their minds with one blistering song, like e.g. Amon Amarth or something else.

Blackwater Park is a damned good album.. in there, I find one of the best parts Opeth has ever done. The acoustics in "The Drapery falls" are just.. godly.

worst opeth moment?
dunno if its been said, but the whispering at the end of night and the silent water. good song, but i always cringe at that part... its "oh so spooky." Artistic liscense only goes so far im afraid

bleak and the drapery falls are my definate favs though, no other tracks can give me goosepimples for so long after so many listens. They just flow so well with really amazing riffs and transitions, excellent vocals and good production, not much more i want...i gotta say before blackwater park i have a real hard time with the production quality and the sounds of the albums, they just sound so shit so i always find it hard to listen to still life and orchid and most of MAYH

Moonlapse-
I can't understand how some people can't get into Blackwater Park. That was the album that started me out on Opeth, and the title track was the first song I heard - it blew my fucking mind.

I can't understand how some people can't get into MAYH. That was the first album that started me out on Opeth, and from start to finish - it blew my fucking mind.

:D "Started-Me-Out" Syndrome

Birgith-
"And, it took about 4 months for me to like Opeth, and I'm very aware of telling people this. So they don't expect Opeth to smash right into their minds with one blistering song, like e.g. Amon Amarth or something else."

And, it took about 4 seconds for me to like Opeth, and I'm very aware of telling people this. So they can expect Opeth to smash right into their minds with one blistering song, like e.g. When or something else off MAYH.

My "Copy-Cat" Syndrome is acting up again. ;)

the only bad thing about any opeth song for me is the pinch harmonic in serenity painted death, i dotn think it fits in with the rest of it at all.

I fucking hate it when people do this..... it's ALWAYS BWP, my favorite album of all time....

To paraphrase Dr. Zoidberg, why all the hate? People have different taste, but generally I do feel that "Blackwater Park" is their least popular album among those who have liked Opeth for a while. I don't care for "BWP" at all, I tried to listen to it again yesterday (to give my copy of 'Deliverance' a much needed rest), and I was bored before 'Bleak' had finished. I continued to listen though for the very beautiful acoustic section in the final part of 'The Drapery Falls' but then I had enough and went back to 'Deliverance'. I don't mean to say that the album is terrible or anything, but there's something about the structures, riffs and sound that don't appeal to me (and others).

Originally posted by Opet
.[/b]

I can't understand how some people can't get into MAYH.
[/B]

for people who have never heard anything with growls this is a tuff spot to start.

the production is less crisp and the whole album looks alot darker then some people are used to.

BWP definatly is the way to introduce people who are not used to growling to opeth.

Originally posted by Metalmaster
To paraphrase Dr. Zoidberg, why all the hate? People have different taste, but generally I do feel that "Blackwater Park" is their least popular album among those who have liked Opeth for a while. I don't care for "BWP" at all, I tried to listen to it again yesterday (to give my copy of 'Deliverance' a much needed rest), and I was bored before 'Bleak' had finished. I continued to listen though for the very beautiful acoustic section in the final part of 'The Drapery Falls' but then I had enough and went back to 'Deliverance'. I don't mean to say that the album is terrible or anything, but there's something about the structures, riffs and sound that don't appeal to me (and others).

That's very strange because I've always felt Deliverance was a kind of stripped down version of BWP, with more atmosphere. The same kind of structure is there, just the riffs are alot simpler. Not saying I hate Deliverance in the least, I mean I listened to it 4 times the day I got it. I think you should try to give The Leper Affinity and The Funeral Portrait a few more shots and see if they grow on you, because it took me about 8 months to appreciate them. Also, I think BWP is better appreciated when the songs are listened to individually, as opposed to thinking of the album as a whole, because I dont think it flows that well, but the tracks in themselves are magnificent IMO.

That's very strange because I've always felt Deliverance was a kind of stripped down version of BWP, with more atmosphere. The same kind of structure is there, just the riffs are alot simpler. Not saying I hate Deliverance in the least, I mean I listened to it 4 times the day I got it. I think you should try to give The Leper Affinity and The Funeral Portrait a few more shots and see if they grow on you, because it took me about 8 months to appreciate them. Also, I think BWP is better appreciated when the songs are listened to individually, as opposed to thinking of the album as a whole, because I dont think it flows that well, but the tracks in themselves are magnificent IMO.

The riffs may be simpler, yes, but the song structures are far more progressive; there is more happening in a song like "Deliverance" than in most of the BWP songs (except 'The Drapery Falls'). I like "The Leper Affinity" though, best song of the album I guess, but the rest leaves me cold. And believe me, I have given it many shots (hehehe). I agree that it doesn't flow well, and that's perhaps why I don't like it. I like to listen to entire Opeth albums :D Oh and also, the riffs pack more punch on Deliverance.