Worst trend in Metal

Worst trend in Metal

• Total voters
I voted for burping vocals since I don't care for them (although I do listen to them depending on the band).

Priest-era leather almost got my vote.

I refused to vote for the last option since hipster/poser bullshit and metalcore/hardcore do not belong together.

Perfect example of false logic. Because your circle of friends/bands know what you listen to means that group isn't part of a 'niche' audience?

Never did I say popularity is a measure of good music. Someone can say Slipknot and Disturbed blow big dick but it'd be a hard pressed argument to prove that they only appeal to a "niche" audience considering they have moved a substantial amount of records.

A genre itself could be 'niche' such as Industrial music but then someone may say something like "well look at NIN" yes, look at NIN, 1 group in a sea of many that molded different aspects of electronic/industrial to become widely known. It doesn't mean industrial for the most part isn't "niche" because it is.

Folk/Viking metal doesn't even have a breakthrough act yet.
Amon Amarth went #50 on the billboard 200 or a number around that with their album, Twilight Of The Thunder God. I'm not talking any indie chart or some Finnish chart. I'm talking the billboard 200. I think for viking metal standards, that definitely constitutes a break through act.

Amon Amarth went #50 on the billboard 200 or a number around that with their album, Twilight Of The Thunder God. I'm not talking any indie chart or some Finnish chart. I'm talking the billboard 200. I think for viking metal standards, that definitely constitutes a break through act.

You are right about this and I have actually heard of them before. They can be considered a push away from the normal viking metal groups considering a lot of their guitar riffs (especially on that album) are very much like nu-metal/trend metal.

If you replaced his obnoxious grunt vocals with something like KSE they'd easily fit into that category wouldn't they? haha.

he's just a n00b, a retard or both.

as far as I know, I'm probably the only member of this messageboard who only liked bands with harsh vocals up until recently. I'd put a wager on that.

u r so kewl

Amon Amarth aren't that good anyway. Their EP material and first few albums are decent but they never did much for me.

as far as I know, I'm probably the only member of this messageboard who only liked bands with harsh vocals up until recently. I'd put a wager on that.

I was pretty much the same way... doom metal finally broke me of it. (I tried and failed with power metal)

DigiV, do you actually listen to metal? Harsh vocals have been commonplace for about 25 years. And Amon Amarth plays melodic death metal, not nu metal. There are no funk or hip hop elements in their music.

I'm a picky motherfucker. I love playing metal but for the most part I think 50% of the metal scene is pure junk. 25% borderlines on mass potential without fully realizing it and the other 25% is golden.

Currently my most listened to metal bands from top to bottom
Gojira
Slayer
Lamb of God
Mastodon
Killswitch Engage (new cd is horrifically bad though)
Meshuggah
In Flames
As I lay Dying
ISIS

I've always said the problem with metal were the singers. there weren't and haven't been that many great frontmen in the genre with powerful voices that don't need to resort to constant grunts or screamo type shit all the time.

I like POWER vocals man where the fucker sounds mean and shit but you can still fucking grasp what the fuck he is saying.

But I'm picky about all the genres really. I love me some industrial but most of it also sucks, that genre's heyday has come and gone. The only ones still around that matter: Skinny Puppy, NIN, Ohgr, Download, Ministry, Imperative Reaction.

back-in-the-days-trolling-meant-something.jpg

this is where you failed. who cares about lyrics? I'm all about the vibe, maaaaaaaaaan!!

Vibe is big, I agree. Metal is a lot like rap where people don't care much for what the fuck is being said, it's all about the groove.

But the bands that stick around and make an impact on a large scale are those with the distinguishable vocalists.

Currently my most listened to metal bands from top to bottom
Gojira
Slayer
Lamb of God
Mastodon
Killswitch Engage (new cd is horrifically bad though)
Meshuggah
In Flames
As I lay Dying
ISIS

Suddenly it all comes into focus.

I like POWER vocals man where the fucker sounds mean and shit but you can still fucking grasp what the fuck he is saying.

Kiuas.