Worst type of metal fan?

I like Hot Topic's novelty t-shirts.

SD0313m.jpg

I think the most annoying types are the people who only ever listen to deep-underground Latvian ambient black metal or whatever, and call any band who have actually sold an album shit.

People who slag off so-called "commercial" metal bands, like Metallica and Children of Bodom. Fine, you don't like them, but don't force your opinion on everyone else. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong by listening to them, when in fact they're just as musically valid as anything you listen to. Just because they've had a big album and become famous doesn't make them any worse (unless they change direction and actually become bad).

People that hang out at Hot Topic are losers, yes, but a store is a fucking store. If Hot Topic has something cool, I'll go in there and buy it (which usually doesn't happen, as their "coolness" inventory is pretty small). I used to refuse to shop at WalMart for image based reasons, also, but then I realized it was stupid spend extra money for the name on a storefront.

I've seen Opeth, Behemoth, Immortal, Mastodon etc shirts at hot Topic for like $5 bucks.

The Hot Topic online store has also had random metal shirts on sale for like $4-5 (I even saw Candlemass on there).

Troo Black Kvlt fans or whatever who just take it way too seriously. Saying that, I don't feel connected with heavy metal culture much in general, or the fans related to it. I've met some of these types at gigs and the threatening nature of some, simply because you're there for a good time and aren't banging your head off, is ridiculous. I suppose that comes with any music scene, you begin to get irritated with the obssessives who can't seem to just appreciate the music and chill out.

I also do sympathise with some who get annoyed at the number of Papa Roach fans who claim to be metalheads though - I have a fair few friends like that.

Being quite the proghead, I've also become quite annoyed at the number of prog metal fans who can't seem to appreciate music unless it has a weird time signature/structure attached to it, as if simplicity somehow detracts from the quality of music. That's not a metal pet hate though.

They seemed to dislike most heavy/power metal for one. In an article/interview they basically poke fun fun at Manowar. Sure they are an easy taget but still. They are also famous for choosing to not include bands whose ideology they dont agree with. Therion for one (because of Christoffers involvement with the "swedish democrats" - a nationalistic, allthough not racist, party) and for whatever reason Marduk (dunno why).

Hah, I've never had a Close Up - subscription but I remember both those things (same issue maybe?). That interview with Manowar was stupid, it was like the editor had told the journalist to humiliate the band as best he could, and to ask as rude questions as possible. In the case of Christoffer they showed their true side; a bunch of vegan communists more interested in other things than music. I don't know if I read it in the magazine or if it was on their homepage, but they put most of their efforts into simply attacking him and his personal beliefs, only briefly mentioning the music. Bunch of assholes.

I also remember reading a letter on the "sent in" page, where a guy complained about there being too much politics in the magazine, and that they were misusing their privilege as a popular music magazine, making it a platform for their political views. The reply, astonishingly, was a long tirade about what an idiot the guy was because of how he voted, and that everyone else who voted like him was a fucking retard who shouldn't listen to music.

Yeah thats exactly what happened. The people in charge of Close-up, well the editor, is a douchbag when it comes to opinions that differs from his own. Apparently its alright to want to kill all christians but not to vote for a nationalist party. Why this was reason enough to stop writing about the band was so bad I gave up on them then and there.

Its stupid shit like that but on a smaller scale that they keep doing. I just grew sick of their style.

I don't want to insult your region or anything but from what I've read it seems like there are a lot of Scandinavians who are very heavily affiliated towards the political far left to the point of being simple minded.

No offense taken, in fact I'd sign under. People here like to laugh at Fox News, but the truth is that the majority of our own media is like a reverse version of Fox News, leftist instead of right wing.

I don't want to insult your region or anything but from what I've read it seems like there are a lot of Scandinavians who are very heavily affiliated towards the political far left to the point of being simple minded.

That is true. I wouldnt say far left but definately left. The party that is most to the right is still much more leftist than any of the two in the US for example (who are very much into right wing politics in general).

And also a lot of the media tends to have a bend towards the political left. I think its almost a part of journalist culture today in Sweden.

Approximately 50 people have said Black Metal fans in this thread. Well, I don't get to hang around with metalheads much at all. What exactly is so bad about black metal fans? I don't think I've ever specifically spoken to one in person and seems like most people on this board listen to some black metal so... I'm at a loss. Is it because they are naught but slaves to the one with horns?

Also, on like page 5 I laughed when somebody said "Yeah I've never met a black metal fan that doesn't burn churches." (parapheased) Awesome comeback that nobody commented on. :lol: