Would you call Opeth a mainstream band?

I think people who call Opeth mainstream listen to demos of some black metal bands, that no-one has ever heard of.
Actually Opeth are quite popular in the metal world but that´s not enough to call them "mainstream".

I agree with Moonlapse. Though by mainstream it is usualy accepted that the band are playing music that the masses enjoy. This is not the case, but they do play great music that many people can enjoy. They're about as big as a band can get without selling out.

MightyA said:
What the fuck does that mean?
Means they havent lost their values towards music. They may have lost a bit of originality over the years, but they still retain a good attitude towards their music. At the same time, they've gotten a great amount of success for their music, which is well deserved.

They're a well known band. They didnt sell out. Good for them.

who cares what people think of them. if you enjoy the music then just listen to it. i personally think there is no music in the world that can have such flow but still manage to be unexpectable. no "mainstream" band has been able to pull that off accept maybe tool but im not as into them as i am opeth

ShroudOfDusk said:
Means they havent lost their values towards music. They may have lost a bit of originality over the years, but they still retain a good attitude towards their music. At the same time, they've gotten a great amount of success for their music, which is well deserved.

They're a well known band. They didnt sell out. Good for them.

i have to disagree with your claim that they have lost originality. in my opinion, they have done just the opposite. "original" means that you sound like no one else. mikael said so himself that the music off of orchid and morningrise sounded very similar to the rest of the music that was being played at the time in Sweden. aside from the song length and clean vocals, that is very much so true. even then though, opeth did have a sound that set them appart. i'm not saying that orchid and morningrise are bad albums, but they are no where near as "original".

JoeVice said:
mikael said so himself that the music off of orchid and morningrise sounded very similar to the rest of the music that was being played at the time in Sweden. aside from the song length and clean vocals, that is very much so true.

Since I've never heard any band that sounds like the early Opeth, I'd be glad if you gave me some names.

Nope. IMO, Opeth is not mainstream. At least not before Damnation.. which might be called mainstream prog-rock, if you bend it a bit. Mainstream sort of implies that they follow/copy others instead of making their own way, which they absolutely don't.. their greatness lies in the fact that no other band sounds like them..

Cephalanthera said:
i think he rapped about hating black people before he sold out

nah, i dont' think so.

but his songs weren't "catchy" there wasn't a chorus you could easily remember, and of course he was obscene and stuff, i liked his stuff with D12.. but now they've "sold out" with "my band" or whatever their new song is called.

mainstream? shyeah right! everyone on the street always asks me about the Opeth logo and what it is.. when they see it on a shirt or something.. when im blastig it some metal guys go.. who you listeing too.. Opeth.. huh? otep? what? ahaha

chaveta said:
but his songs weren't "catchy" there wasn't a chorus you could easily remember, and of course he was obscene and stuff, i liked his stuff with D12.. but now they've "sold out" with "my band" or whatever their new song is called.
Maybe he didn't know much about making music and therefore there weren't any catchy choruses? Now that he can, he's a "sell out"?

foulwing said:
mainstream? shyeah right! everyone on the street always asks me about the Opeth logo and what it is.. when they see it on a shirt or something.. when im blastig it some metal guys go.. who you listeing too.. Opeth.. huh? otep? what? ahaha