Wow Mikael Åkerfeldt posts on here thats cool! (noob thread alert)

I believe he was rude because he had good reasons to be. He has never been rude to "fans" (like he says) for no reasons, except when those "fans" give them shit for nothing. He seems like a nice guy, who just don't really appreciate that people do give them shit for making music. I don't blame him...

I believe he was rude because he had good reasons to be. He has never been rude to "fans" (like he says) for no reasons, except when those "fans" give them shit for nothing. He seems like a nice guy, who just don't really appreciate that people do give them shit for making music. I don't blame him...

Are you talking about Mikael? What I've seen he seems to be a really nice guy.

Novembers Doom IS a popular band, and they post all the time on their forum. Of all the forums I've been on, Novembers Doom truly relate and talk openly with their fans. I know, that along with me, many people appreciate their time.

they are not that popular right? come on... how many cd's would they sell? 10, 20.000-ish? 1 time in europe, which probably didnt bring them a dime?

they are popular in this subculture maybe, but i know plenty of metal people who have never even heard of november doom. so what exactly is popular?

they are a great band and great guys though :)

Ah, you caught me.

And he isn't normally rude. I'da been rude too if people on my messageboard were dissing my drummer because they got their panties tied up because the last one left.

Mikael seems to be a nice guy, I simply said he was rude in that particular thread, and that's undeniable, no matter the reasons he had to do it.

Actually I don't think there are ever enough reasons to be rude to a fan. Unless the fan attacks you physically, or goes overboard during a show, or in a meeting (clutching, scratching, trying to get his idols' underwears, invading his idol's PRIVATE life, whatever).

Mikael has a band, they're growing, their music is reaching more people every day/week/year. There are a lot of good things that comes from that... and a lot of bad things too. You've to take account of both in order to keep it up, and go further.

Fans are fans, most of the times unreasonable, passionate to the last push. You have to learn how to deal with them... first because the unreasonableness and the extreme passion that lead them to post "idiot" things on the Internet are the same motivations that lead them to buy EVERYTHING released by their idols (every single product): DVDs, Best Of, unplugged, remixed, remastered, rethinked, rehashed albums... new versions with bonus, new front cover, extra liner notes, besides some other one-armed bandit releases. Unreasonableness and extreme passion are also the the motivations for the fans to go out and spread the word about the work of a band, helping their idols become popular with no feasible gain, and without any profit to their particular lifes.

I'm sure those same guys who posted things against Axe and in favour of Lopez presented Opeth's music to a lot of people, maybe some people who are now die-hard fans, maybe people posting in this board.

Unfortunately many "coming up big bands" seem to lose their minds while they start to get famous and have an increasing demand on them. This has happened to Mike Portnoy in his board as well.

I would agree with Mikael if his fans were talking about his family or anything like that... I mean... about his PRIVATE LIFE in general. Haplessly Opeth is NOT Mikael's private life... it's his public life.

In "Some Kind of Monster" (their documentary about making St. Anger) they actually do talk to some fans in a chat room. I can't remember if it was in the special features or if it was actually part of the documentary though.
It was in the extras. It's an amazing document, by the way. Even if you're not into Metallica but have the slightest interest in psychology or human struggles, this documentary is very recommended.
Lars is known to browse the MetClub boards quite a bit, and has been filmed doing that. He also searches YouTube for fan-made Metallica-related videos, like people playing their songs and stuff.

He also searches YouTube for fan-made Metallica-related videos, like people playing their songs and stuff.

So he can sue them for copyright infringement?

As for painergrey... I don't think he was THAT rude with his statement. Especially with who it was aimed at. People aren't just saying they miss Lopez. They're saying Axe isn't half the drummer, will never make it, and will make the new record suck. Stuff like that. I think Mikael's first priority is to defend Axe, who is his friend and bandmate, before he should defend fans' irreverance.

This is not the first time people have made those points about Axe. Mikael has defended him several times before. Basically, it's getting old now and these "fans" are being douchbags. No other way to put it. I wouldn't care if they bought everything I ever touched, but if I had a small segment of my fans acting like dicks, I'd go ahead and tell them to find a band with a drummer they prefer and to stick with them rather than telling me how to run my own band or criticising the band's choice in musician, let alone them talking shit about my friend. I'm sure that's the kind of feeling Mikael had.

You protect your bandmates and friends before your fans. You're nowhere without your fans, but when a minority is unreasonable, then it's fine in my eyes to tell them that they're being ridiculous.

Wow, looks like we got ourselves a new breed of idiot Opeth "fans" on our tail huh? Mindblowing guys...really!

Mike

I support the post. I'm a fan, sure, but I also hate injustice. Cliche, sure, but there were some really stupid things said. And, as I said before, it wasn't the first time Mike has had to deal with the criticism of Axe. The fans you describe aren't the "fans" Mikael was talking about. A real fan wouldn't say Mikael screwed up on drummer choice or that he sucks or whatever else. They'd wait til after the new album comes out before they even open their mouths.

I completely agree with Landberk's comment. Mikael is 110% completely in the right about how he talks to the fans that slag him, Axe and the band off, that means he could back-track 10% and still be 100% correct. It's fucking ridiculous that anyone could think they know what's best for the band more than Mike.

As for painergrey... I don't think he was THAT rude with his statement. Especially with who it was aimed at. People aren't just saying they miss Lopez. They're saying Axe isn't half the drummer, will never make it, and will make the new record suck.

I read it again and I see your point. However, I think fans are just like that. In this particulare case, they went overboard on the comments about Lopez and Axe, and Mikael probably felt bad about it. The guy is starting the work on an album and the fans are already saying it's going to suck. Maybe it would be smarter from him to simply prove them wrong as soon as the album comes out. It's a waste of time to come here and discuss with a fan. This same guy who was already against the new drummer and album, now it's maybe even more upset with two negative feelings when it comes to the upcoming album: Mikael's direct response to him and the new drummer.

I don't know nor ever talked to any of the guys discussing about Axe and Lopez, but I'm sure at least one of them must be a HUGE Opeth fan missing a fantastic drummer and afraid of the result of the work with the new one. I mean, the guy is fucking worried about A BAND! He's WORRIED about Opeth. I think that Opeth probably brought happiness and comfort in hard and good times of this guy's life. He probably had unreasonable moments of pleasure listening to Opeth. On the other hand, he may also feel annoyed and eventually has a fit of anger if something the band is doing doesn't sound agreeable to him.

Mikael doesn't need to approve it or feel ok about it. But I've seen VERY FEW posts from Mikael here... and I'm quite sure he didn't say "thanks" to this SAME fan when this SAME fan bought "Ghost Reveries" and came here in a bliss state of mind to open a new thread and share his positive feelings about the album with other fans like him. If Mikael didn't show up to say "hey, thanks, I'm glad you liked it", so why would he show up to say "Wow, looks like we got ourselves a new breed of idiot Opeth fans" after the fan said something negative about the band and/or Mikael's choices?

Don't think what I'm going to say is to you Landberk, it's not... not at all. Anyway, I agree with Mikael on one thing. What he said about a new breed of idiot Opeth fans is true, and the same is happening to bands like Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, Porcupine Tree.

However, this new breed of idiot fans aren't exactly the ones criticizing the band's decisions or the band's leader. Contrariwise, this new breed of idiot fans is composed of fans who think Mikael Akerfeldt, Steven Wilson, Daniel Gildenlow, Mike Portnoy are GODS or new MESSIAHS. Consequently they think EVERYTHING those guys do is PERFECT. They don't have an analytical look about their favorite bands and idols. All their comments are COMPLETELY biased.

Just to conclude this... Mikael was not only rude (maybe not THAT rude, but still rude), he was also coward (maybe not THAT coward, but still coward), because he slammed a fan publicly knowing that after his post a lot of his fans would appear excecrating this fan and doing this to Mikael: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Just to conclude this... Mikael was not only rude (maybe not THAT rude, but still rude), he was also coward (maybe not THAT coward, but still coward), because he slammed a fan publicly knowing that after his post a lot of his fans would appear excecrating this fan and doing this to Mikael: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Whoops! I think you just made your death sentence there! :erk:

Don't think what I'm going to say is to you Landberk, it's not... not at all. Anyway, I agree with Mikael on one thing. What he said about a new breed of idiot Opeth fans is true, and the same is happening to bands like Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, Porcupine Tree.

He didn't slam one fan. He didn't even "slam" someone. He made a flyby comment that referenced a number of people. As for the fan who bought Ghost Reveries, and Mikael not saying thanks, and blah-dee-blah... Wrong-o. Mikael has thanked people for writing positive stuff plenty of times before. I've been at this forum for like... a year and a half or something. He's written thanks, about other bands, plenty of things.

Now, here we are, and some people say some crap about their new drummer. Lopez is one of my favourite drummers ever. He left the band (ie, was not kicked out) and was replaced with Axenrot. I'm not going to diss Axe because he isn't Lopez. I've seen Axe play with Opeth three times now and he hasn't disappointed me. I've heard his Bloodbath stuff so I know he won't fail when it comes to double bass work. Now, knowing that he covered Lopez's drumwork at least 7/10 (I'd say almost perfectly, personally), and knowing what he's done outside of Opeth, there's a more than fair chance he's going to kick ass on the new album, especially since Mikael's always going to be there to lay the foundation for what he wants in the drumming, like he did with Lopez.

Now, some people say crap. They're being rude. Mike says his comment, and now he is being rude and cowardly because he wasn't at the Best Buy in Lancaster, Pennsylvania where some guy bought Ghost Reveries and said, "Hey, I'm Mikael. Thanks for buying my album," followed by a hug? I personally could care less what those guys wrote. It has no real personal effect on me. I just think when people write ignorent stuff like that, that they're just douches (normally just for that moment). From what I see, the other members haven't banished them or anything, nor where they reall humiliated. Mikael was just making an observation about his new "fan"base.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it as that huge of deal. I think it's hella opposite than cowardly to defend a friend though, and that's all he was doing. If he did it rudely, so be it.

EDIT: lulz, I used "hella."

Mikael was just making an observation about his new "fan"base.

Once again all my comments aren't directly to you Landberk. But ok, let's go...

If he comes up to make a close watch on his new fan base, that's ok. He can do whatever he wants... but as soon as he does it only partially, some people (like me) will controvert his arguments. The point is, why are his observations on his new fan base limited to those guys criticizing his choices and judgements? Doesn't he also have another new fan base of a completely new "breed"? I'm talking about those ones I've mentioned in my previous post. But, well, although they're also a "new breed of Opeth fans", maybe they aren't idiot to Mikael... because they're not annoying to him!?!?!?!? Having sheeps supporting everything you do is great, isn't it? Ewes that do not contest your thoughts, statements, judgements, ideas, musical direction. Wow, those are great fans... they don't bring any "problem"! But... are those really the smart ones? I don't think so.

Questioning the work of an artist, a band, an idol, and keeping a critical eye even on things you love is much more intelligent than agreeing with everything an artist does or releases. Besides, it helps the artists (not in the way it was done, I agree), because an outside observation may see things people inside the band, including the leader, would NEVER realize. This works in every field of life. People are not THAT powerful to analyse their own life, judgements, decisions, COMPLETELY and PROPERLY. An outside look is always welcome. If it's not, if there's someone so self-sufficient, so this one should lock himself in a room... don't ever go to work, don't ever start a band, don't ever do anything that involves other people.

It's quite sad to realize that the board of an unique, non-commercial, brilliant band like Opeth is 90% either "fanboys" or "sheeps". I'd expect Opeth fans to be more critical. I haven't been seeing this critical side (not very often) on this board. The other way round, seemingly 90% of the posts come from either "fanboys" or "sheeps".

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it as that huge of deal. I think it's hella opposite than cowardly to defend a friend though, and that's all he was doing. If he did it rudely, so be it.

He is defending himself and his band prior to defending a friend. After all, he makes a living out of this band... and fans criticizing the upcoming album when its creative process just neared started isn't a good thing to the album, thereafter also to the band he makes a living out of. Let's avoid twisting things in a way it looks like Mikael was a GOD in his statement, a courageous and brave guy in an altruistic act defending his friend. It was not about this.

You know... Landberk (now directly to you, obviously). Maybe he was not as bad as I'm probably "painting" here, but he wasn't definitely half as good as you're painting it. Two sides to every story. I just don't agree with his attitude and post... and do you know what happens in this new breed of Opeth fans if you don't agree with anything the ALMIGHTY Mikael Akerfeldt does or says? This:

Whoops! I think you just made your death sentence there! :erk:

You're absolutely right Tubbs.

However I won't make reverence to everything Mikael does. Musically I would use this :worship: emoticon one thousand times. I'd probably use it also in other occasions... maybe in another post of him. Not this one. If this is my death sentence on this board, so be it.

Reactions: Tubbs