"you just don't understand"

It is a very valid argument. I wouldn't say it is true all the time though. I always ask myself if I comprehend it, and if I do, I go out and bash. :headbang:

As for Tool, I really like tool, but I can see the other side. When I bought Aenima, I hated it. It took forever before I could get into it, and even then, it didn't grow on me as much as lateralus. I can say that, looking back, I didn't get it at first. I can also see that a lot of people who do sort of get it don't like it. I guess you have to get past certain biases to like something. You either don't get, you aren't open minded, or the music sucks. I think the tool thing is sort of a combination of the first two. For a good example of a band that people aren't open minded about, check burzum. Why does anyone not like burzum? Burzum isn't hard to get, I was in love on first listen! It is too repititous, and the vocals are too wierd, so some paople take that as suckage and let their biases run rampant. Meshuggah definatly falls in the catagory of "you don't get it". Obviously, future breed macheine is easy to get. But, their later stuff is better, somehow or another. THe guy who criticised it, saying future breed macheine owned but destroy erase improve as a whole isn't that great is right. The album nothing is possibly the most complex math metal I've ever heard. I actually explained the polymetric idea on the math metal forum. Check that before you say it just adds to 4/4. Honestly, I guess it does, but nothing like you are thinking. Try to tap 4/4 to anything but the cymbol, which is used to keep time, and you might see it. Try stengah. Listen carefully to that song, and try to tease out what time signature it really is in. If you listen carefully, you might think that every member is in a different time signature, but in reality, it is like a cycle, where the sigs eventually converge. And Catch 33 is less complex and just plain atmospheric mood metal. They are incredibly technical. Just listen carefully to the drums. Very carefully, because a lot of it is hard to hear. It is like fucked up neal peart. The guitarist demonstrates some technicality on his solos and his solo album. I am 100% positive you guys don't get meshuggah. It is really complicated.

It's obvious there are some things that not everyone will "get"

For example, when some of my friends or relatives here my listening to death or black metal or noise or ambient they laugh and say "how can you listen to this?" Does this mean that brilliant albums like Atheist's Unquestionable Presence are shit, or does it mean that these people lack the ability to grasp what the album is trying to convey? I'll go ahead and answer that, it's the latter.

The same concept also applies on a smaller scale. Within metal, there may be people who enjoy death metal but fail to appreciate Gorguts' Obscura. Or people might exist who enjoy black metal but not Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

We should also apply the concept in reverse. If I don't enjoy the latest single from kelly clarkston, and other people do, does this mean I don't get it? No, I get it, i just don't like it

People need to stop trying to justify their musical taste to try and just do their own thing. Is there an objective way to judge music? Maybe. Does it matter if you are listening to music for your own purposes? No.

I would also like to add that meshuggay takes it.

Teh Grimarse said:
i would just like to add that none of you apes understand miles davis' "dark magus".
WTF?! You like crap like metalcore but also like good stuff like Miles?

ender7227 said:
Where did you go, Carcassian? You were missing in action there for a while

Work, mate. I work 24/7 rotating shifts, so some weeks I can be on for ages, while other weeks, I can be mercifully absent all week.

Thoth-Amon said:
WTF?! You like crap like metalcore but also like good stuff like Miles?

maybe, *fucking gasp*, just maybe, *fucking double-gasp*, it might be possible to have a wide and varied taste for many different styles of music besides metal? ya think? maybe?

and you do not know fuck about miles, you goon.

~Neurotica said:
Don't you see straight connection between those two phrases?.......

No,I hate "chug-chug-chug *wait* chug-chug-chug" sounding music even if they have the best fucking drummer in the world or something.
I would fucking hardly call it music

Majesty said:
No,I hate "chug-chug-chug *wait* chug-chug-chug" sounding music even if they have the best fucking drummer in the world or something.
I would fucking hardly call it music

thats just the matter of taste... they still have one of the best fucking drummers ever...

a lot of people say this about the grindcore I listen to. they always complain its talentless and has no substance. fuck 'em all I say...

ohiogrinder said:
a lot of people say this about the grindcore I listen to. they always complain its talentless and has no substance. fuck 'em all I say...

and you say true words...

Teh Grimarse said:
maybe, *fucking gasp*, just maybe, *fucking double-gasp*, it might be possible to have a wide and varied taste for many different styles of music besides metal? ya think? maybe?

and you do not know fuck about miles, you goon.

Yeah like I do... I have over 500 hundred classical cd's dozens of Jazz, International, Classic Rock, Soul, Funk, etc. What do I know about Miles? Hmmm... well let's take a look at the Miles albums I own:
'Round About Midnight
Miles Ahead
Milestones
Porgy and Bess
Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
Someday My Prince Will Come
E.S.P.
Miles Smiles
Nefertiti
In Concert: Live At Philharmonic Hall
Miles in the Sky
In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew: Complete Sessions
A Tribute to Jack Johnson
On the Corner
Dark Magus: Live At Carnegie Hall
Big Fun
Get Up With It

So yeah obviously I know nothing of Miles' music. Retard. Nor do I know anything about music in general as I got my BA in Theory & Comp. and have been playing piano, guitar, bass, percussion and singing for years.