YOUR TOP 5 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME

Five I haven't seen mentioned:

John Squire (Stone Roses)
Wes Montgomery
Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave)
Slash (Guns 'N Roses, Velvet Revolver)
Peter Tosh (Bob Marley and solo)

1. Jason Becker - far and away the greatest shredder of his era, and would no doubt have gone on to blow away all musical competition if he wasn't stopped at such an early age. One of the greatest composers of modern times with one of the most tragic stories in musical history. SM - everything, though my personal favourite of his is Concerto.
2. Jeff Loomis - nobody does it like Jeff Loomis. The way he can infuse mind-blowing solos into fast paced, brutal thrash rhythms (while keeping melody!) is just phenomenal. SM - Enemies of Reality.
3. Andy Latimer - such an influence in guitar playing in general. Without a doubt the most underrated guitarist of the 70's. SM - god damn, there's no single track you can listen to that will glorify Latimer to the extent he deserves, you just need to listen to it all.
4. Steve Howe - just behind Latimer. When he joined Yes people thought he was just another replacement (similar situation with Wakeman), but his style not only improved Yes, but the entire prog genre as a whole.
5. Daniel Mongrain - I felt a death metal mention would fit as my 5th place. Mongrain's incredibly unique style of prog and jazz mixed in with technical death metal spiced up the genre and is now the level at which other technical death metal bands will need to compete.

I'm gonna cheat a little bit and double up guitar duos...

1. Tony Iommi

When I think metal, I think this guy. Without him, metal would be nothing.

2. Eric Peterson/Alex Skolnick

The driving force behind the original Testament's awesome mix of insane thrash riffs and melodic soloing.

3. Mikael Akerfeldt/Peter Lindgren

Mike writes some amazing material, but I think Peter gets often underrated. Both of them can solo spectacularly.

4. Friedrick Nordstrom/Gus G

Yes, the guitar duo from Dream Evil. The former's riffs and the latters solos are just completely amazing. Of course there's some Snowy Shaw thrown in there too for good measure to seal the deal.

5. Criss Oliva

The fast fingered (and sadly untimely deceased) Savatage guitarist... R.I.P.

Runner-Up: Stevie Ray Vaughan

1. John Petrucci - Personally my biggest inspiration. Great alternate picking, metronomically brilliant and overall my favourite.

2. Paul Gilbert- Definitely the most varied guitar player out there today.

3. Steve Vai - He is a great guitarist and I actually feel his playing. Never repetitive and very unique.

4. Yngwie Malmsteen- Definitely one of the most influential guitarists ever. He has influenced guitar players from most bands today whether you agree or not. I dont like what he's released recently as he is just rehashing hios old stuff, but a great guitarist nonetheless.

5.Jeff Loomis- This guy is a monster. Great sweep picking guitarist and gives Nevermore so much character with his playing.

al di meola, paco de lucia, john mclaughlin
together in one concert. what more do you want?

I don't see why people are nominating Zakk Wylde.

sure he can shred but he uses the same pentatonic scale in nearly every song.

Vegetaman said:
5. Criss Oliva

The fast fingered (and sadly untimely deceased) Savatage guitarist... R.I.P.

Criss Oliva is great, very underrated. :headbang: ... Good to see there are some people on this forum that likes Criss .... RIP Criss :kickass:

1._ Mattias Eklundh (Freak Kitchen, Freak Guitar)
This guy is just out of this world. He's becoming the new Vai, if he hasn't already surpassed him. Amazing technique, speed, feeling, weird sounds, creativity, and to add to all that, songwriting, singing, and lyrics skills!
He also has an amazing ability to mix various music genres and use very unorthodox instruments for his recordings (e.g a vibrator :lol: ).
Just amazing.

SM: Guilt Trip, but all of his songs are equally awesome.

2._ Steve Vai
What can I say? He's a master. There's no sound he can't do with a guitar.
What I also like about him that other shredders usually don't have, is that his songs are actually nice to listen to, they have melody and rythm, and his shredding's not just to shred.

SM: The Audience Is Listening and Firewall.

3._ Adam Jones (Tool)
Less is more. And this man proves it. Minimalistic playing but so complex at the same time...hard to explain, a pure pleasure to listen to. Also can't wait for their new album.

SM: Parabola. Nuff said.

4._ Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, Ozzy)
Country heavy metal. FUCK YEAH. Redneckish motorcycle ridin' solos and awesome riffs at their best. And you just gotta love the guy's attitude.
He also knows how to make the pentatonic scale sound fresh every time he plays another solo.

SM: T.A.Z.. Just listen to that song and if you've ever played an acoustic you'll never want to touch it again. No, seriously.
Other than that, for metal headbangingage, Demise Of Sanity is an awesome tune.

5._ Michael Amott (Arch Enemy,At The Gates - I think)
This guy is a poser. Now that that's out of the way, he has EVERY right to be a poser, because not only is he an awesome shredder, he also writes very nice tunes and his music is substantial. Nice use of oriental scales as well. Gotta love AE songs.

SM: Hybrids Of Steel. Nuff said, once more.

James Hetfield (Metallica).

Kirk Hammet (Metallica).

Kerry King (Slayer).

Slash (Ekx Guns N' Roses member).

Dave Mustaine (Megadeth).

Kerry King said:
ps: Lookey, theres my favourite guitarist in my avatar right now!

Kerry King
question, how can you quote all those great guitarists, then say KK is your favorite?....he isnt even in the same league as those you mentioned

Scorpions' guitarist is named Michael Schenker.

Here's my top 5-

Jimi Hendrix
Joe Satriani
Eddie Van Halen
John Petrucci
Stevie Ray Vaughn