Durakonis

Zudviz
Nov 17, 2013
The year is quite new, so there are not any albums that I'm gonna suggest so far. I'm quite excited to hear Dissona - Paleopneumatic and Rhapsody of Fire - Into the Legend. (They are soon to be released, in a couple of days.) Both seem very promising, judging from the songs that they've shared. What about you, are there any interesting albums out yet that you've heard so far, or you're expecting sometime this year?

Myrath's new album Legacy will be released in North America on Feb 12. They are touring Europe with Symphony X beginning next month.

Headspace - All That You Fear Is Gone

I'm not quite acclimated to it yet but so far it's impressive.

Postulate mentioned Headspace above.
I love the single:

Great stuff. Creative. Unconventional structure.

New Haken single from their upcoming album released today.
As expected, it's phenomenal.
Take classic Haken, add a dash of Leprous, and you've got a great sound. Cannot wait.

Probably album of the year.

New Circus Maximus dropped today. Album is similar to Nine, but I'd say a step down. Not terrible, not great. I'd bust it out in the car for some spins.
The Weight is a great track, though.

Album is a little too poppy and conventional.

Wolverine album coming soon. I expect great things.

The last half of the new circus maximus album is bliss, to me. Starting with Flames, the album is incredible. I love all the Vangelis synths.

The first half hasn't quite clicked with me yet, it just seems boring, but maybe the tracks will grow on me.

I haven't heard all the songs fully, but what I have heard, the first half sounds watered down. The back half of the cd does sound good. The 1st Chapter was so epic. They haven't had anything of that nature since. I like Isolate, and Nine, but they lack that complete badassness.

That CM track is pretty boring. Da da da. Da da da. Da da da. Okay, next riff please.

Haken has a similar riff problem but the arrangement is a lot better. This is an album I'll probably check out.

The Haken arrangement is quite good, IMO.
Haken has really skyrocketed for me. Yes, they suffer from Dream-Theateritis, but so much of their stuff is pure class. I feel this album will step away from DT and embrace Leprous's approach of songs first.
That single has so many little details that make it stay interesting on repeated listens for me. A really solid single.

I enjoy Havoc. I don't love it, but I like it.

There are a couple moments in that CM track that uncannily channel Subsignal. I guess I feel the same way about the direction of both bands -- they need a little more muscle.

Do not like a single thing about that Redemption track (aside from the one unexpected note in the chorus).
I think I actually hate it.
Just terrible, IMO... sorry!

Ulver? I'll check. Don't know those guys.

I fucking love Ulver. Ulver is a band that is not afraid to make music that people will not like. Ulver is not afraid of being non-commercial. Ulver does not apologize if their music is not well-received. Ulver says fuck you to those people.

CM and Haken are both Dream-Theaterites and I wish they'd grow a pair again. Both have made great music in the past at times so I know they're capable of it.

Redemption has been a terrible band from their 2nd album forward, and not worth the time of day. Their debut was the only good thing they ever produced. And yes, I'm aware that the band themselves don't like it. I guess it wasn't poppy or DT enough for them.

Snowfall on Judgement Day has some really strong tracks on it, but otherwise I haven't found many standout songs by Redemption.

That CM track is pretty boring. Da da da. Da da da. Da da da. Okay, next riff please.

Haken has a similar riff problem but the arrangement is a lot better. This is an album I'll probably check out.

I'm not going to go all out defending the CM track, but there the keys are the focus. Maybe their fault for putting the guitar too high in the mix there.

Snowfall on Judgement Day has some really strong tracks on it, but otherwise I haven't found many standout songs by Redemption.

Redemption has been a terrible band from their 2nd album forward, and not worth the time of day. Their debut was the only good thing they ever produced. And yes, I'm aware that the band themselves don't like it. I guess it wasn't poppy or DT enough for them.

Do not like a single thing about that Redemption track (aside from the one unexpected note in the chorus).
I think I actually hate it.
Just terrible, IMO... sorry!

I think this is a little harsh on Redemption. They have some interesting vocal melodies (although some people I've talked to said they feel like something is 'wrong' with them), mostly because Van Dyk writes a lot more prosaically than most metal lyricists. On the new album, Slouching Towards Bethlehem is great. And it is doomier than anything DT would do.

Redemption is just too bland to be listenable.
I agree, 100%. Completely unlistenable. Way, way too bland.
I also feel the first album is the only interesting one (Rullo!), but I don't know it well at all... I just remember hearing it a long time ago and thinking it was decent. I listened to the following 2 and they were terrible. Maybe I'd hate the original now, too... not sure.