The only Haken song that ever floored me was Crystallized, but even it gets a bit too Dream Theater-wanky in the middle somewhere.

The album isn't my favorite of theirs but I'll be damned if 1985 isn't one of the coolest songs I've heard in awhile!

Weighing in on Haken's Affinity:
Thing is a straight-up masterpiece.
Haken has matured. Album is pure class.
Bound by Gravity may be the most epic thing I've heard in years...goosebumps.
I was driving while Lapse was playing...the final note hit (the falsetto part) and I felt a tear build up in my eye, it was just so perfect.

Fans of traditional proggy prog shouldn't overlook their debut; it's great. Almost every track exceeds 10 minutes.

Next to play: Headspace's new album. I'll give it a full listen on my long drive tomorrow.

Last edited:
My problem with Haken is that for every moment or vibe you can name from the album, I can point to someone else who's done it better. So to me, it's not so much a masterpiece at all. I did say it was the best they've done, but that's not to say it's a contender for album of the year, by a long shot. At least not for me.

My problem with Haken is that for every moment or vibe you can name from the album, I can point to someone else who's done it better. So to me, it's not so much a masterpiece at all. I did say it was the best they've done, but that's not to say it's a contender for album of the year, by a long shot. At least not for me.

Band A does part 1 better, Band B does part 2 better...
Haken does all the parts collectively. What you said may be true, but it doesn't equate to Haken not being better than all of those bands overall.
That being said, I think Haken DOES have some things they do best.
I'm not undermining your opinion...just sharing mine :)

Detective, this new album has very, very little DT wank, and even the parts I'd say fall into that category are decent to good anyway.

Anybody here heard Anekdoten's Ghosts?

Last edited:
Whispered - Metsutan: Songs of the Void

Recently got this album as I had a love affair with their last album "Shogunate Macabre", which I knew would be a hard follow up for them match; however, Metsutan is most definately on the same level of calibur.

The great thing about his band is that they would be excellent even without the added Japanese folk sounds. They come as the cherry on top rather than a gimmick necessary for them to stand out from the crowd. They could primarily be generalized as melodic death folk metal but they really have a good bit of moments of influence from power, black, and progressive metal. Also, they pretty frequently slow down the pace some, not just between tracks but within tracks as well.

I personally can't understand how they haven't gotten bigger and more well known as of yet, especially considering a lot of people think of them as a Japanese folk version of Wintersun.

So, uhh...this is happening!
Pain of Salvation is releasing Remedy Lane remastered by Jens (along with a live recording of the full album), AND a NEW studio album in their old, heavy style.
Best news possible? Me thinks so.

That is actually pretty good news. I hope he doesn't mention Mercedes in the lyrics.
Haha, his hate for MB is a little concerning!

It has been 11 years since a fully legit PoS album, IMO.
SS was okay, and RS1 and 2 I enjoy, but old PoS is my ultimate fave.
Super stoked.
Album is already recorded, too.

Ken, have you heard the new Frost*?

Not yet, but I like Frost* and will be checking it out. I'm pissed that Agolloch broke up too.

The best thing I've heard recently is the new Perturbator - Uncanny Valley

That PoS news was quite excellent! I first read Remedy Lane remastered and was like "ah, thats kinda cool". Then I read live album of full RL album and was like "omg those vids of them performing RL at PPUSA were amazing and deserves to be released as a live album". Then I read that they were ALSO making a new album and was surprised they were planning it along with that other stuff; however, I was a bit cautious due to me not liking the the direction they have gone the last several albums all that much. Then I read it was going to be more in line with their older/heavier albums and I now have to go clean myself....

BTW, if anyone was interested in hearing Whispered here is a song from their new album which was actually released months before the album. I think this song is a good overall representation of all the different things you can expect from them.

Adagio is a very talented group of guys, and it's clear they've been frustrated with their last few albums. They have a point. It's also cool to hear them talk; I always just assumed they were a bunch of shadowy virtuoso wraiths living in wine cellars beneath ancient cathedrals in Paris.

BTW, if anyone was interested in hearing Whispered here is a song from their new album which was actually released months before the album. I think this song is a good overall representation of all the different things you can expect from them.

To be honest, I'm kind of tired of these finnish folk/death metal bands...and that's coming from someone who is from finland. I dont say this is not good music, but its been so overdone and that japanese folk vibe indeed sounds like a "gimmick" to get wider recognition.