Thanks for sharing, Gentleman! He uses a lot of pedals; I'll have to look into that for my own playing. Cool pick holder on his bass, too, although I wonder why he opts to use a pick at all as none of the song is too technically demanding. The sound difference during the heavy riffs kind of gets lost underneath the guitars.

Also, I love the random cat.

Thanks for sharing, Gentleman! He uses a lot of pedals; I'll have to look into that for my own playing. Cool pick holder on his bass, too, although I wonder why he opts to use a pick at all as none of the song is too technically demanding. The sound difference during the heavy riffs kind of gets lost underneath the guitars.

Also, I love the random cat.
Cat was epic!

I thought the use of a pick was peculiar, but I'm not a bass pro.

Hmmm... do you think the mix sounds proper in the real song?

I think the full song mix sounds excellent, but I can't hear the difference by using a pick. Same goes for those few Dream Theater songs where Myung uses a pick - it just isn't audible to me.

I actually like the stuttering verses!

The dubstep addition was a pleasant surprise.

I think this will be their best album, and likely my album of the year.
Apparently the epics '1985' and 'The Architect' are phenomenal. Keyboardist said it took him six weeks just to record The Architect.

Loving these 2 singles, and loving the lack of DTness.

Great track here. Initiate has grown on me a little bit but still didn't really grab me the way a lot of their previous stuff has. Hoping for yet another stellar album from Haken.

I'm liking the new Haken.

Shearwater sounds like a cross between Bowie and Depeche Mode. A pleasant listen when I'm not in the mood for metal.

I still don't understand all the contempt for Redemption. The new album has some serious holes, but how can you not like this:

Reactions: nckissfan
I'm liking the new Haken.

Shearwater sounds like a cross between Bowie and Depeche Mode. A pleasant listen when I'm not in the mood for metal.

I still don't understand all the contempt for Redemption. The new album has some serious holes, but how can you not like this:

I'm sorry, man...
I listened to the whole track, and that thing is positively horrendous.
The composition comes off like it was done by a bunch of amateurs. Vocals are a disaster. Not a shred of genuine feeling. Zero atmosphere. No creativity to be seen. The song is trying so hard to be epic...
Not a single redeeming quality to my ears. I'm being 100% honest.

To each their own, but I'm flabbergasted over how anybody can enjoy that song.

I'm sorry, man...
I listened to the whole track, and that thing is positively horrendous.
The composition comes off like it was done by a bunch of amateurs. Vocals are a disaster. Not a shred of genuine feeling. Zero atmosphere. No creativity to be seen. The song is trying so hard to be epic...
Not a single redeeming quality to my ears. I'm being 100% honest.

To each their own, but I'm flabbergasted over how anybody can enjoy that song.

Ha. I get the impression that your ears are more sophisticated than mine, so I'm not surprised. :D

Ha. I get the impression that your ears are more sophisticated than mine, so I'm not surprised. :D
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I'm very well-versed in the prog genre specifically, but that's where it ends for me.
There's deff a ton of prog metal in the style of that Redemption track that is much better, though.
You can spend your time with much better stuff, IMO!

Listen to that track, and then listen to Divine Wings track. It's like night and day...and one is almost 20 years older ;) Wow...can't believe it's that old...

Shearwater didn't do it for me either, but I didn't dislike it.

Shearwater is not metal at all, and not even progressive. I don't think a lot of people here would be into it. That's cool.

Redemption is like the Wal-Mart of Prog Metal. Complete with "People of Wal-Mart" gifs.

Ok, so I have always thought Haken was pretty decent but never got enough into them to obtain any of their stuff; however, I just started listening to 1985 from their new album on youtube and 2 minutes in I am ready to obtain this album!

What can I say, I am a sucker for the 1980's synths and electronic drums. Also, those AoR influences! I don't care if it is probably the only track on the album like it, this one track makes it worthy enough for me to obtain.