Admit to Music You Like (aren't supposed to)

BefriendedUnit

They wear white for me
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego
in b4 :erk:

This is where you have an opportunity to confess to the Opeth community that your musical taste is, in fact, NOT impeccable by everyone else's standards. I think everyone here likes at least one artist, band, or song that they know the rest of the forum thinks is shit. So go ahead; get it off your chest. No one's going to judge you, right? (well, I won't)

I like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, the Roots, and other more "conscious" hip hop artists and outfits. I like Rammstein, the laughably popular German industrial-metal band that's more liked among mall-kids than in their home country. I like Jets to Brazil and Jawbreaker, early Green Day, Cake, Anti-Flag, and all the Harry Potter books on CD read by Jim Dale. I like the Gorillaz, Flogging Molly, some Eminem and that one awful Dido song. I like all that old goth crap from the late 70s and 80s. I think M.I.A., Matisyahu, and Michael Jackson are good songwriters. Victorian goth metal like Theatre of Tragedy gives me a hard-on. The rest of the 7k songs on my iPod are pretty good.

So can we still be friends? Your turn.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, early Green Day, some Mudvayne, early Slipknot, and the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Collection.

wu tang, nas

im only mentioning these cause it's a metal board, but fuck you they rule

Yeah, forgot to mention those two. Nas' new album is probably the only US Billbord #1 album in the last 50 years that I remotely like.

I'm a big fan of Nirvana, at least I used to be. I haven't listened to them in years. Hmmm... I like some choir (inc. Xmas) music. Some of it is so epic and beautiful. I used to be a fan of early Green Day too. I'm also a fan of AC/DC which some people think is lame (my intro to Rock which led to metal, what do you want?).... I'm not really ashamed of my music. Just listen to what you like. Music (like IMO religion) should be a personal thing and you shouldn't take shit from other people about it.

Meh, SOAD is alright. Serj's voice bugs me SO MUCH. That style is the downfall of Giant Squid too...

I like Rammstein, Fear Factory, System Of A Down, Soulfly's Dark Ages

I like The Cat Empire, which is a mish mash of every genre i hate, yet I love this band.

I don't mind some australian hip hop, stuff like Torntz, and other nasty cunts like that.

And I love j-pop.

I once owned a limp bizkit, and like the album 3 dollar bill yall, back when it was released. Hell, I loved nu-metal when it first came about, but that's only because I didn't know any better, still I started on Devin Townsend, and Opeth and then on into black metal.

MIA, as in, the one who wrote "Paper Planes"? Good songwriter my arse. :p

wrote the lyrics, not the beat*

I enjoy most rap on the radio when I'm at work or out with my friends getting wasted (I don't really have a choice but to listen to it anyway so I might as well get used to it)

My playlist is full of weird shit. Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Astral Projection, Infected Mushroom, Fleetwood Mac, RJD2, APC, Sisters of Mercy, 311, Aphex Twin, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, BT, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Afroman, Coph Nia, DJ Shadow. You name it, it's probably on there.

Not really ashamed to like anything, some things are catchy and i appreciate that. I wouldn't praise certain music that i listen to as being well written or even good really. Sometimes certain things just get the point across regardless of how stupid the point may be.

For Example I like Fergie - Glamorous. Its not the first thing i'd bring up in conversation if i just met someone, but fuck if that isn't a catchy ass song.

My taste in music is stellar, but I'm a WoW player, so there's that.

I've said too much.

Don't shun me! I'm (sub)human with feelings! :cry:

I'm afraid I won't admit to much to some random people around the world......

I will go out and say that country, hip hop/rap and emo music (with emo lyrics e.g "Slit my wrist and black my eyes"), I am unable to listen to, pretty much everything else is fair game. Of course, there are artists/sub-genres that I would prefer not to listen to, and other artists/sub-genres that I would prefer to.

And that post accomplished nothing.

^Don't be so hard on yourself, not many of the posts on this forum accomplish anything.

I pretty much agree with you, there's not much other music I listen to that I should be ashamed of though. I love Jazz and classical and some computer generated music...well there's only one band that I listen to that exclusively
uses computer noises. And that would be Aphex-Twin. I find Aphex Twin much more complex than most other music of its kinds.

My playlist is full of weird shit. Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Astral Projection, Infected Mushroom, Fleetwood Mac, RJD2, APC, Sisters of Mercy, 311, Aphex Twin, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, BT, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Afroman, Coph Nia, DJ Shadow. You name it, it's probably on there.

Bohren und Der Club of Gore rules! What's to be ashamed about that?

well there's only one band that I listen to that exclusively
uses computer noises. And that would be Aphex-Twin. I find Aphex Twin much more complex than most other music of its kinds.

Aphex Twin is more complex than most music in general. It's insanely intelligent.

I absolutely love New Age/Easy Listening music. perfect for when im working on art or resting.

*prepares to be killed for saying this* I really enjoy christmas music. I have a very select taste for Christmas music though, i wont just enjoy anything. Mannheim Steamroller is one of my favorites. ive heard their songs since i was very young, so it's partially for nostalgia reasons. I listen mostly to songs that are based off of medieval music. none of the poppy commercial stuff. i also enjoy when new age artists release christmas/winter themed albums, the best of both worlds.

feels good to get those off my chest.

^I guess some Christmas music can be good... I just haven't heard it yet (not much anyway).

I think I'm just fine with every band/artist I like these days. Besides rock an metal, I like some pop stuff I guess, alternative, techno, classical obviously and so on. Nothing more weird than the other people.

Some more or less weird bands that come to mind:
-U2
-Mew
-Dir En Grey
-Brething Space
-Tori Amos
-Dr. Stephen Baysted
-Tin Hat Trio

Oh and that French pop singer, Alizée, but mostly just cause she's unbelievably good-looking.

There you go, some I may like just as much as my favourite metal bands.

Classical music is a lot of time epic and very dark. Check this stuff out:

Last edited by a moderator: