AGGALOCH

enslaved do indeed kick ass i have vikingligr veldi + hordanes land and Isa

gotta get more... to bad all the ones before below the lights are 20 dollars... blasted imports

Trey Parker said:
agalloch=average

Average what? They are making some pretty unique (as far as I know) music. Who else combines folk, metal, and post rock so well?

Sanzen said:
agalloch = pretentious

agreed. but that doesn't stop me from enjoying their music. that shit from their interview where they say talking about music is like dancing about sculpture makes me laugh. take ourselves seriously, don't we, guys?

im the one who started the previous thread, wondering what it was about.

i still dont like the mantle's eerie atmosphere, but i am now listening to some parts of Pale Folklore. The last two songs are quite good. As embers dress the sky...

My least favourite part is somewhere in the middle when the guy almost sounds like dave mustaine lol

bangadrian said:
well i've never heard agalloch before. i just downloaded "in the shadow of our pale companion" and i'm listening to it now. i'm about halfway through it, and not really too impressed

i rate this song a resounding "meh"

What? :err:

Thats probably one of the best metal songs ever.

It took me a while to get into Agalloch but they are a fantastic metal bancd mixing black metal with folk elements I think they are influenced by Ulver a bit.

Risquit said:
2:21 to 3:08 on "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 2" is an embarassment.

i agree, however i think a big problem with agalloch, is they have the vision, but not always the ability. It seems that sometimes the music is simplistic and shallow...or a bit..."off"...due to lack of musical knowledge or means to compose it properly, not always because theyre aiming for a sound of minimalism.

They have some good ideas, but sometimes they dont shape up or develop into something really good, and thus fall short.

But i do like the band in general, i just wish they would raise the bar a bit...or practice more...or at least something.

Agalloch's music is flawless and intelligent. All of "She Painted Fire across the Skyline" is brilliant.

They are a very unique band, the more you listen to them the more obvious the talent becomes.

Also becomes obvious they are nothing like Opeth at all, they are totally different influences and song structures.

It seems that people think that just because a metal band uses acoustic guitars and blends of grim/clean vocals, that they sound like Opeth. The truth is that bands like Bathory did this a long time before anyone else did, and not only that, but other bands in other Metal genres were also doing the same at the same time that Opeth became known in the very early 90's. It was a "movement", not a founding technique by Opeth.

It just so happens that Opeth pull it off better than many other bands do.

The cream of the crop in my opinion (in no order):

Agalloch, Vintersorg, Borknagar, Fission, Opeth

shantideva said:
agreed. but that doesn't stop me from enjoying their music. that shit from their interview where they say talking about music is like dancing about sculpture makes me laugh. take ourselves seriously, don't we, guys?

Oh yeah. I love Agalloch, but that interview was fucking hilarious.

NineFeetUnderground said:

i agree, however i think a big problem with agalloch, is they have the vision, but not always the ability. It seems that sometimes the music is simplistic and shallow...or a bit..."off"...due to lack of musical knowledge or means to compose it properly, not always because theyre aiming for a sound of minimalism.

I agree here. And that part in the middle of Part II of SPFATSL is pretty awful, and there are parts throughout the rest of the album, like the first vocal line in Part III that really grate on me too. There are definitly some great ideas there, though, and a lot of times they pull it off nicely (Wolves of the Timerline, The Lodge). If Haughm was a better vocalist, or they were completely instrumental (I think their best tracks are), Agalloch would be much better.

They are recording a new LP pretty soon I hear. I'm pretty anxious to see what direction they take, because parts of The Mantle and the Grey EP were very far from the metal vibe of Pale Folklore. There needs to be more dark folk music in the world, and Agalloch are one of the few who I consider to be doing it well.

I was reading some thread a while ago that was painting Agalloch out to be some incredible band, and so I (stupidly) bought The Mantle and Pale Folklore and was very disappointed. It just didn't do anything at at all for me

agalloch.. i wouldn't say they don't sound anything like opeth.. because they have the contrasting acoustic/clean guitars and distorted guitars, sometimes similar drumming styles (although agalloch's is notably weaker) the same mixture of vocal styles (but not similar sounding) and fucking long songs. Agalloch are more obviously black metal than Opeth.. but you cannot deny they have their similarities. Apart from that, Agalloch are pretty damn good although imo they're not anywhere near as good as Opeth

MasterOLightning said:
Does anyone know what is being spoken at the end of The Hawthorne Passage?

From some interview....

I must admit that the Spanish speaking part at the end of "The Hawthorne Passage" somewhat takes away from the overall flow of the album. But, just like anything else, it is in the music for a reason. Where is the sample from and what exactly does it mean?

Haughm: The sample is from Jodorowsky's "Fando & Lis". I recommend that people seek out and buy or rent this fabulous film. So I'm not going to give away what this dialogue says. I will say that it, along with the introduction sample from "The Seventh Seal", was put in the final section of "The Hawthorne Passage" to symbolize the passing of life - which goes nicely with the atmosphere of that section of the song.