AGGALOCH

indian_metalhead said:
From some interview....

I must admit that the Spanish speaking part at the end of "The Hawthorne Passage" somewhat takes away from the overall flow of the album. But, just like anything else, it is in the music for a reason. Where is the sample from and what exactly does it mean?

Haughm: The sample is from Jodorowsky's "Fando & Lis". I recommend that people seek out and buy or rent this fabulous film. So I'm not going to give away what this dialogue says. I will say that it, along with the introduction sample from "The Seventh Seal", was put in the final section of "The Hawthorne Passage" to symbolize the passing of life - which goes nicely with the atmosphere of that section of the song.

the seventh seal is a quality film...ingmar bergman was a phenominal film maker. and i think the mood of that film very much coincides with the mood of most of agalloch's material. however i didnt think fando and lis was anything more than a "good" film. certainly not enough to put a snipet in a song that many people would hear and further associate with my music......*shrug*

I don't understand how people do it.

Opeth's musical talent, being so great, makes it hard for me to listen to any other metal band. How can you enjoy something so simplified and under developed???

No doubt Agalloch need's lessons, or much more experience.

Agalloch pwns. She Painted Fire Across the Skyline actually makes me cry and that's what good music is all about. Arousing emotions. I agree that not all of their songs are as brilliant, but they sure managed to encapture a very solid ambience, like on At the Great Cold Death of the Earth. Pale Folklore is the better album, methinks.

"What's wrong with the vocals that Agalloch uses? I don't understand that, I like their vocals a lot!!!"

They're too weak and also his singing voice is very odd. The growl is alright, just when put alongside Mikael.. it's so weak. Don't know whether it's cos mikael does multiple tracks and agalloch don't but overall it's just not as strong

opeth_353 said:
"What's wrong with the vocals that Agalloch uses? I don't understand that, I like their vocals a lot!!!"

They're too weak and also his singing voice is very odd. The growl is alright, just when put alongside Mikael.. it's so weak. Don't know whether it's cos mikael does multiple tracks and agalloch don't but overall it's just not as strong

Agreed. His growls/bm vox/whatever are too weak and his singing voice is just weird. Agalloch would be better off as a purely instrumental band, methinks.

Botfly said:
I don't understand how people do it.

Opeth's musical talent, being so great, makes it hard for me to listen to any other metal band. How can you enjoy something so simplified and under developed???

No doubt Agalloch need's lessons, or much more experience.

smile_hilarious.gif
no offence man, but that was the biggest crap i've ever read on this forum

I think that Mikael's vox technical is better than Haughm's, but Haughm's vocals fits perfect in their music style and I don't think that Mikael's vocals would fit in Agalloch's music.

yeh.. true. The vocals are growing on me.. got and the great cold death of the earth on constantly and it's growing on me shitloads. I'd much rather have akerfeldt as my singer but his vocals wouldn't fit in as well in agalloch.. his vocals don't fit in perfectly though.. i'd prefer his growl if it was a little louder cos it gets bit lost in the mix

Oakenpalace said:
I think that Mikael's vox technical is better than Haughm's, but Haughm's vocals fits perfect in their music style and I don't think that Mikael's vocals would fit in Agalloch's music.

Agreed. (Akerfeldt is without a doubt a much better growler than anyone alive, but his clean vox are totally owned by Vintersorg of Borknagar).

Haughm's good overall though, and his style does fit Agalloch's music perfectly. He uses a different kind of emotion for his performance, and it works really well.

Detric said:
Amazing band, one of the best Doom bands out there. Cant stop listening to The Mantle..

Detric - Agalloch isn't Doom. Agalloch is post-black-metal hybrid incorporating prog and folk elements.

See: Cathedral, Candlemass, (early) Anathema, My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom, Unholy, Virgin Black, The Gathering, 3rd & The Mortal, early Katatonia Rapture (first album), (parts of ) Green Carnation, In The Woods for some examples of Doom.

You'll see the difference in feeling and structure as well as vocal differences when you hear the style of these bands...

bangadrian said:
well i've never heard agalloch before. i just downloaded "in the shadow of our pale companion" and i'm listening to it now. i'm about halfway through it, and not really too impressed

i rate this song a resounding "meh"
you have to listen to the whole album man, its definetely the kind of band that has to grow on you and once the music clicks, its amazing

The Hubster said:
Detric - Agalloch isn't Doom. Agalloch is post-black-metal hybrid incorporating prog and folk elements.

See: Cathedral, Candlemass, (early) Anathema, My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom, Unholy, Virgin Black, The Gathering, 3rd & The Mortal, early Katatonia Rapture (first album), (parts of ) Green Carnation, In The Woods for some examples of Doom.

You'll see the difference in feeling and structure as well as vocal differences when you hear the style of these bands...

hahahahahaa

god you're a fucking cunt. "they're not doom, they're *insert rediculous subgenre classification which no one ever uses*!!! GET IT RIGHT"

Mumblefood said:
hahahahahaa

god you're a fucking cunt. "they're not doom, they're *insert rediculous subgenre classification which no one ever uses*!!! GET IT RIGHT"

theyre not doom, nor are they "black metal".

id actually call them dark metal over anything else...seeing as how they share more in common with other dark metal bands than just about any other sub genre.

and they dont have any "prog" influence to the guy who claimed they did.

Minion520 said:
you have to listen to the whole album man, its definetely the kind of band that has to grow on you and once the music clicks, its amazing
yeah exactly, it's one of those albums where you have to listen to the entire album at once to get the best experience out of it. I didn't like it at first but after a few listens the whole atmosphere of that album begins to come out...

The Hubster -> I dont have time to play games with you. Overall it is Doom Metal, I dont have time to put different genres into sub genres as post-hybrid cunt or whatever your saying. I honestly dont give a fuck, I listen to them because I like them. If we were all focusing on the on genres all the time, we would forget the music, remember that.