Anders best vocal performance?

Hey, can one of you assholes tell me exactly how you expect someone to put a lot of emotion into a growl?
Besides rage, I mean.

Listen to Dark Tranquillity.

Screams/growls are generally used to convey both desperation and anger. Anders produces neither emotion on TJR, maybe briefly on Moonshield, and the title track.

Yeah, I agree. There is no emotion in Anders growls on TJR; almost none anyways. If you wanna hear screams/growls with emotion, listen to SikTh, Protest the Hero, Dir en grey or something like that.

I always hated his Vocals until Colony. That's when Anders become actually decent to me and I enjoyed his vocals. Though his new vocals now are probably even worse than TJR sometimes.

Ah, yeah, in that case you'd be right, that would sound ridiculous.

I was fairly surprised myself, I mean, you can literally hear the technique on the track. But some people I've spoken to thought it was just some badass growl. Regardless, yes, overdubs are easy to pull off. The Clayman overdubs were always strange to me, they used A LOT. I think it was to mask the fact Anders' voice was not very strong at that point, and having the overdubs in a lot of places served to hide that. The overdubs in Clayman were weird though, you had the low-speaking overdub for cleans, and then a low, almost robotic sounding overdub for a lot of the harsh vocals. It works, I've just not heard anything quite like it before.

The robotic thing is him singing really low, mumbling or whatever, like he used to always do for singing. Great example is Pinball Map verses.
I thought it added a cool effect.

Square Nothing had some crazy overdubs too.

Yeah, the overdubs on Clayman all work really well.... just not heard anything else before or since that sounds like it.

Lord Seth FTW!!!!

Jonas Renkse actually fucked up his voice after doing this album and has mostly sang ever since. Maybe too much emotion is a bad thing? haha

This may be true... Jesse Leech (Killswitch Engage's first vocalist, awesome IMO) completely fucked his voice over by putting too much emotion into his screams live (he was going through exactly what the lyrics were detailing in their songs).

Lord Seth FTW!!!!

Jonas Renkse actually fucked up his voice after doing this album and has mostly sang ever since. Maybe too much emotion is a bad thing? haha

hehe, Dance of december souls are one of the best albums i've ever heard, plus his growls were one of the best i've ever heard (also his best vocal performance imo).

Listen to October tide's first album, Jonas growled there without emotion... :( he only ruled for an short period of time imo.

And yeah, Katatonia's first album is much more emotional then their ''depressive'' rock.

Mikael Stanne takes the emotional cake

You REALLY wouldn't be saying that if you had seen them live. I saw them during Metaltown this year and Mikaels voice like was like a deeper version of Abbath of Immortal. In short summary: extremely bad.

tbh, if you hear emotion in the growls it's because of the music.

TBH it's pretty obvious that you don't know very much about the subject. Learn do it yourself and you'll see. Growls, screams, shouts, any type of extreme vocals can be filled with emotion of be completely emotionless, just like singing. People need to treat screaming more like singing, 'cause it's pretty much the same thing once you boil it down and get really used to it. Look at opera and falsetto singing, they're really different from regular chest voice singing, and so is screaming.

A screamer not putting emotions into his screams is either because lacks the technique to do it, or because he doesn't want to.

Saying screaming isn't singing is like saying tapping isn't playing the guitar.