Anders best vocal performance?

@Metalkicksass:
"You'll recieve what you give"

I saw IF at Metaltown aswell, it was good. Not OMFGAMAZING, but good! I love that they played Ordinary Story & Colony. A bit too much ASOP aswell, they could've skipped I'm the Highway and Move Through me. They seriously played like 6 ASOP songs.

The thing that piss me off that Anders is sometimes growling on new songs while he just ruins his older songs.

what do you mean with ''you recive what you give'' btw?

With the "you'll recieve what you give part" (-Disconnected) I was trying to hint at the old saying "you get what you give to others" through an In Flames lyric.
You were giving this guy shit for being amazed at Anders growling, when you did the exact same thing some months ago. No offense to you mate, I just find it funny. (and that I can summarize it all with a piece of lyrics from Disconnected"

With the "you'll recieve what you give part" (-Disconnected) I was trying to hint at the old saying "you get what you give to others" through an In Flames lyric.
You were giving this guy shit for being amazed at Anders growling, when you did the exact same thing some months ago. No offense to you mate, I just find it funny. (and that I can summarize it all with a piece of lyrics from Disconnected"

yeah, i WAS amazed with his growls, however that guy thinks that it's Anders best vocal peformance ever, give me a fucking break. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind the 'growls' on Drenched in Fear and March to the Shore are overdubs. Anders normal vocal track continues, it's just momentarilly backed up by gutteral vocals which make the line sound more brutal. This can be achieved by either lowering the pitch of normal vocals or getting the vocalist to perform the low growls in time with the main vocal track. It's not difficult to do, especially for an experienced vocalist such as Anders.

Keep in mind the 'growls' on Drenched in Fear and March to the Shore are overdubs. Anders normal vocal track continues, it's just momentarilly backed up by gutteral vocals which make the line sound more brutal. This can be achieved by either lowering the pitch of normal vocals or getting the vocalist to perform the low growls in time with the main vocal track. It's not difficult to do, especially for an experienced vocalist such as Anders.

Fuck i hate posts like this.

Because?

I'm just surprised people are impressed by the growls in these songs when it's an easy technique which some people wouldn't know about.

No need to reply like that, fella.

Oh i get it

It's actually quite a cool technique, it sounds pretty good on both songs. As long as the vocalist can growl low (and Anders proved he certainly can on the DVD) it's fairly easy to do, too.

You're a bit off there mate. For example, when he sings "When the hate doesn't get to me", and "You are a killer" "I'd love to release the rage", those are not overdubs. Those are sole growls. And overdubs or not, it doesn't matter, a growl is still a growl.
"I refuse, to let you steal my daylight" "Brand new armor" "pushing the faith, build out of rage" Those are "overdubbed" growls.
"This can be achieved by either lowering the pitch of normal vocals"
Not really mate, it will not sound as brutal as a growl, it would sound fucking stupid. Like a strangled donkey or something.
"or getting the vocalist to perform the low growls in time with the main vocal track."
Well, that's kinda obvious isn't it? People are probably aware of the dubbing technique. I don't think it's the dubbed dual vocal line growl+scream (overdub) that people are exited about, it's the growl itself. No offense mate, I just wanted to clear up a few things, maybe we are misunderstanding each other?

You're a bit off there mate. For example, when he sings "When the hate doesn't get to me", and "You are a killer" "I'd love to release the rage", those are not overdubs. Those are sole growls. And overdubs or not, it doesn't matter, a growl is still a growl.
"I refuse, to let you steal my daylight" "Brand new armor" "pushing the faith, build out of rage" Those are "overdubbed" growls.

When the guilt doesn't get to me is not an overdub, but he only growls the last three words so that's not worth an overdub. All the major growled sentences in drenched in fear are overdubs. They even speak about them in the making of ASOP videos, so it's not like I'm treading new ground. Anyhow yes, a growl is a growl, that's not what I'm disputing, it just sounds a lot more impressive with the overdubbing technique (that's not a bad thing).

Not really mate, it will not sound as brutal as a growl, it would sound fucking stupid. Like a strangled donkey or something.

Not at all. Lowering pitch and changing a few other values would make it sound fine. Have witnessed it so it's not like I'm making it up.

Well, that's kinda obvious isn't it? People are probably aware of the dubbing technique. I don't think it's the dubbed dual vocal line growl+scream (overdub) that people are exited about, it's the growl itself. No offense mate, I just wanted to clear up a few things, maybe we are misunderstanding each other?

You'd be surprised fella, most people I've spoken to weren't aware of this technique until I pointed it out, hence why I mentioned it here, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I didn't mean to sound 'know it all' or anything like that, I'm just amused by the praise over the growls in Drenched in Fear and March to the Shore, as for a vocalist like Anders they're easily within his range. Perhaps I made a bit too much of the overdubs though, they're more prevailant in DiF than MttS.

Anyhow yes, a growl is a growl, that's not what I'm disputing, it just sounds a lot more impressive with the overdubbing technique (that's not a bad thing).
Ah, okay. I'm with you now then. I however, think that it sounds a shitload more impressive with just a growl, haha.

Not at all. Lowering pitch and changing a few other values would make it sound fine. Have witnessed it so it's not like I'm making it up.
What we were disputing here were probably different things, you're talking about making a cool dub over an original vocal track, by lowering the pitch of the first track, copying it and turning down the pitch + some effects to make the overall sound richer. What I was talking about was that it would sound bad to take a "normal" vocal track (clean singing), lower the pitch and try to have it sound like a growl. I havn't really tried myself, but I image that it would sound quite stupid. I'll try it when I have some more time on my hands.

You'd be surprised fella, most people I've spoken to weren't aware of this technique until I pointed it out, hence why I mentioned it here, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I didn't mean to sound 'know it all' or anything like that, I'm just amused by the praise over the growls in Drenched in Fear and March to the Shore, as for a vocalist like Anders they're easily within his range. Perhaps I made a bit too much of the overdubs though, they're more prevailant in DiF than MttS.
That's surprising, I thought almost everyone was aware of that technique, and it is indeed not hard to pull-off, I could do it in like 15 minutes on my Macintosh with a crappy karaokemic, and garageband, haha. (note that my growls aren't as impressive as Anders, but still) I mean, In Flames have been doing it for a long time, an example is the chorus in "F(R)iend", and that's from STYE. They've been playing around with dual vocal tracks for an eternity though. Like the low clean dubs on-top of the screams in the Clayman album.

What we were disputing here were probably different things, you're talking about making a cool dub over an original vocal track, by lowering the pitch of the first track, copying it and turning down the pitch + some effects to make the overall sound richer. What I was talking about was that it would sound bad to take a "normal" vocal track (clean singing), lower the pitch and try to have it sound like a growl. I havn't really tried myself, but I image that it would sound quite stupid. I'll try it when I have some more time on my hands.

Ah, yeah, in that case you'd be right, that would sound ridiculous.

That's surprising, I thought almost everyone was aware of that technique, and it is indeed not hard to pull-off, I could do it in like 15 minutes on my Macintosh with a crappy karaokemic, and garageband, haha. (note that my growls aren't as impressive as Anders, but still) I mean, In Flames have been doing it for a long time, an example is the chorus in "F(R)iend", and that's from STYE. They've been playing around with dual vocal tracks for an eternity though. Like the low clean dubs on-top of the screams in the Clayman album.

I was fairly surprised myself, I mean, you can literally hear the technique on the track. But some people I've spoken to thought it was just some badass growl. Regardless, yes, overdubs are easy to pull off. The Clayman overdubs were always strange to me, they used A LOT. I think it was to mask the fact Anders' voice was not very strong at that point, and having the overdubs in a lot of places served to hide that. The overdubs in Clayman were weird though, you had the low-speaking overdub for cleans, and then a low, almost robotic sounding overdub for a lot of the harsh vocals. It works, I've just not heard anything quite like it before.

Hahahaha, people thinking it was some kinda uber-growl. I actually can understand that, I guess it was a bit too obvious for me that it was just a dub, with me being a vocalist myself.
The clayman dubs are wierd indeed. But yeah, I also think that they we're used to mask the unbelievable strain on Anders throat at that time. The strained, damaged and shitty voice can be heard very well on the track "...As the Future Repeats Today", it doesn't have any dubs on the verses, and you can just feel the hurt just by listening to it.

Agreed, he sounds like Dani Filth... well, OK, not THAT bad... but still quite strained. Despite that, AtFRT is one of my favs off clayman ;) though the overdubs in the prechorus and chorus save it. His voice also sounds pretty strained on Brush the Dust Away.

Hahaha, well, agreed. It's really strained, but not Dani Filthy, that requires a totally new level :D
Yeah, AtFRT is a great track, I really like it.

I never understood why so many people think AtFRT is 'boring' :-/ ... great, heavy opening, awesome lyrics, great chorus, really cool solo... it's always been a huge favourite of mine, even from when I first got into In Flames.

Yeah, agreed. I have alot of friends that like it aswell. Some people are bitching about "Well, this song sucks 'cause it sounds more like a R2R song than a Clayman song... or something like that I don't know, it sounds more new than old... and if stuff doesn't sounds old it's bad, rite?"
I don't get the hate.