Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Hey pplz, I'm new here..

But I'm not new at growling, lol..
I've read all your posts some time ago and since then have been practising it alot, and I can say with a certain..umm..certainty, lol, that I CAN growl (breathing, stomach, bluh bluh).
Although, I am now in the phase of trying to imitate (in order to learn a few new things) certain growl singers and most of them are pretty easy to do, but this Akerfeldt guy is unnerving me hehe :)) I can pretty much get the low growl sound, but when he goes high it's unhuman to me, lol..
So, any tips on how to get the pitch higher?

Thanks.

ok im a girl, and i want to start learning how to growl in hopes of finding a band, i kno that most girls dont growl, off hand i can only think of a handfull, but does anyone know if all this advice would work for me? right now im sick and sadly cant do this, but im not fearful of the pain or anything. i have tried in the past, but to be blunt, i fckin suck. help? someone?

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=120706

Me, au naturelle.

I'm still a beginner of course and that's obvious from the clip. Any and all comments are welcome. Otherwise I'm going for a deep or deeper growl myself, new marduk is a good example or even Amon Amarth or Opeth I guess. This is the stuff that I mostly practice with, also love doing Carcass (Bill Steer stuff) and Bolt Thrower stuff.

Well since there seems to be a bit of a opinion topic going on here as well, I am probably going to upload some vox of mine as well sometime this evening while intoxicated and bored. Maybe send them tomorrow morning and see what you guys think. It's next to impossible to judge myself without disliking it completely so outside opinions will be good, since obviously if you listen to bloodbath you'd know good growls

(Two Day Later Edit):
Well I'm drunk... Here are a few link to some of my drunken growls... Mmm.. Beer and Death Metal.... Any opinions are most appreciated, criticisms are good. I only did one take for now

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Brave%20new hell-01.mp3

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Palehaunt.mp3

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=120706

Me, au naturelle.

I'm still a beginner of course and that's obvious from the clip. Any and all comments are welcome. Otherwise I'm going for a deep or deeper growl myself, new marduk is a good example or even Amon Amarth or Opeth I guess. This is the stuff that I mostly practice with, also love doing Carcass (Bill Steer stuff) and Bolt Thrower stuff.

If you're a beginner I actually think you're doing pretty well... I think your vox have some potential. You say you want to go deeper, but deeper isn't always better contrary to what many people may think... (Eg: Peter Tagtgren isn't that deep, just really skilled). Your vox don't need to go much deeper in my opinion... sound is more important than range

Peter is one of the deepest there is, listen to Destroys Wacken, go see him live, listen to The Final Chapter album.

Don't get me wrong Tumn I never said he isn't deep.. but he is nowhere even close to deepest. Which in my opinion is fine, because half of these bands showing up lately trying to be deeper than thou sound similar to a frog choking on a bottle of toilet cleaner... My point is that deeper death vocals are not necessarily better. Peter has the perfect balance

Ah sudden sobriety!

Thanks for the comment, but I didn't actually mean I want to get deeper still, just meant that I can growl deep, can't shriek or go for higher tones, so I'm sticking with the deep growl:D That doesn't make much sense does it? Of course I'd love to go higher, but I doubt I'm able, that's why I'm focusing on being deep. It just comes easier to me and more natural. At least ATM.

I've been growling since i was 12 years old,now im 18 but i just got it right last year.. this thread help me out too.. thx to all..

and the first band for practice was children of bodom so my vocal character is
high like other black metal vocal but now im learning the lamb of god vocal that can go high and deep

from my experience the best method to growl is to practice with your favourite bands ,that was the best way for me

i learned growling with no instruction so my vocal was damaged when i was 15 but this thread has a lot instruction that i can use... and i want to ask is smoking bad for growl ??

now i have a better voice but still have no band because there is not much metal drummer here in my country,, for all people who love to growl, keep it up man!:headbang:
AND sorry for my really bad english..

Well since there seems to be a bit of a opinion topic going on here as well, I am probably going to upload some vox of mine as well sometime this evening while intoxicated and bored. Maybe send them tomorrow morning and see what you guys think. It's next to impossible to judge myself without disliking it completely so outside opinions will be good, since obviously if you listen to bloodbath you'd know good growls

(Two Day Later Edit):
Well I'm drunk... Here are a few link to some of my drunken growls... Mmm.. Beer and Death Metal.... Any opinions are most appreciated, criticisms are good. I only did one take for now

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Brave new hell-01.mp3

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Palehaunt.mp3

duuuuude, I only wish I could hear you louder to be more sure, but it seams to me ur a top notch death metal vocalist, I think u can do Mikael Akerfeldt easily :kickass:

Thank ye Scavneck. Yeah if I put the vocals any louder though the music is drowned too much. If I could get ahold of a karaoke version I'd gladly redo and you'd hear a better interpretation, but I assure you it sounds just the same when it sticks out a bit more. I'd also be more sober than I was there. lmao

Edit:
Someone pointed out to me that he can't hear me at all at the beginning only my throatiness, but since it appears I needed to correct him on it I should likely say it here too. The voice you hear is 90% me, I can use deep vocals at the same time (simultaneously) as the mid range heard there... In my ears the original vocals are only heard in parts I couldn't hold the note as long as Peter (a few times... I don't have it edited in multiple takes so I can't possibly do some) and a few notes I was stumbling away from the mic... lol.

Delta needs to get Papa Roach out of his avatar.

That's not papa roach... It's me.. lol. I don't look metal right now. I used to have long blonde hair past my shoulders and shaved it bald when drunk.... Now it's gotta grow back:(
(Notice I'm wearing a hypocrisy t-shirt. Would Papa Roach wear that??)

Edit 2:
Motherfucker I keep having to do god damn edits!!

I just noticed (by way of winamp eq) that when the bass and treble are upped a lot more it makes my voice harder to hear... On headphones it's fine but a bassy speaker system I could see it being harder to hear...
I'm no music producer...

My hair is growing back too, was half way down my back. I knew it wasn't Papa Roach, but you kind of look like him in it ;)

Bastard Son of God voice cover:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/11/626262/Bastard%20Son%20of%20God%20voice%20%200.1.mp3

some guys gave me feedback for my previous post, thanks for the constructive comments

this is my latest cover and this time around with much less breathing into the mic

\m/

This was much better than the brave new hell cover (I just looked it up). The brave new hell you hit really high notes but your growls were really mono-tone and unchanging. The Bastard Son Of God fixes the growling issue in my opinion