Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Your voice crackling is normal for someone just starting out. When I started I sounded like a complete noob and it was embarrassing, but now that i've practiced for a few years, i've been able to hone my voice. The key is just to stick to it and experiment with technique.

Do defend the "everyone can growl statement", i also know some people that have a really hard time growling, but i noticed that they all had one thing in common: they NEVER stuck to it. They were too embarrassed to continue. As I said before, I sounded like a retard at first, but if anyone keeps at it, they can get a decent growl.

I also believe that anyone can growl with enough practice. I began growling last summer and now I can go deeper than anyone else I can find in grade 9. I did sound really bad at first, but I eventually just taught myself by doing my best for about half an hour per day.

Hi! I found this forum some time ago, and red this thread, so i thought that maybe I should try to show my growls. I'm practicing it from a short period of time. Lyrics sucks and I think I mostly fucked up the end.

http://media.putfile.com/demo-vocals

Tell me what do you think about it, what should I improve, or just forget growling :)

Hi! I found this forum some time ago, and red this thread, so i thought that maybe I should try to show my growls. I'm practicing it from a short period of time. Lyrics sucks and I think I mostly fucked up the end.

http://media.putfile.com/demo-vocals

Tell me what do you think about it, what should I improve, or just forget growling :)

And again here comes my honesty. Those vox were very bad in my opinion. I don't know what you were trying to do but it didn't work. The end sounded kind of like Randy Blythe, but without aid of studio you'd be pretty much screwed until you get more practice in. Practice is the advice I give.

On a side note:

I am going to be putting up a file of a song I did vox for that my buddy wrote the music for after it gets half-finished, so everyone will get a good chance to come back at me some time soon. Haha

Alright folks. I got some shit to post, it's all original. My good friend and I created this over the course of 2 takes each. It's obviously not the best production quality but I want to hear some thoughts on it so far. The song isn't actually done, it's just a concept so far.

So these are some of my growls.. There are NO effects except reverb and light compression, except for very beginning (first 16 seconds) which is kind of speaking anyways. Also I really fucked up the sort of black metal vocals in the middle, but I only get about 20 minute windows to record where this house is empty so I have not had a chance to fix anything yet.

Also the "Artist name" on the mp3 IDtag is not a band name, just the name of the two people doing the song

So. Got any opinions? Please say so. Be honest and be brutal like I would be. But if you have criticism back it up.. Don't jsut say "ur gay! lolz! u suk!"

Remember.. Demo quality! lol. Damn living rooms!

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Demo%201.mp3

Delta_Storm2152

Thank you for honesty. I think that motivated me a little to practice more, more and more.

And about your vocals, you rocked to death!! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Delta_storm, you're really good!I used the karaoke soundfile from cry my name some weeks ago to record my voice on it, and for some reason it sounds totally different than the version i recorded today...both the versions aren't good enough tough so I'm gonna practice every day :)

Version 1 from some weeks ago:
http://media.putfile.com/Cry-my-name-cover

Version 2 from today
http://media.putfile.com/cry-my-name-cover2

Both versions also have a lot of mistakes but they're just tryouts.

Necare, I have to agree with Katatonia. You can't whisper the vocals, it doesn't sound at all right. Growls are at least somewhat loud, always louder than talking at the least, and as loud as literally bellowing shit, depending on the person. I for example am very loud. You gotta learn to use your gut and not rely on your throat so much if you want to reach volumes and gain some body to the growl.

Damn. I started the next page before anyone had a chance to see my song post or other people's questions.

Previous page to hear my song, I'm hoping to hear more opinions/criticisms:p

Sounds like a fairly standard black metal voice to me. Doesn't really sound like a growl though. It would work with a standard norwegian black metal band probably. haha

i've been checking this "how to growl" thread a lot, really helpful and encouraging for begginers. so i registered today.
anyway just wanted to say i heard your vocals delta_storm. really good!
though the quality is kinda bad..so the guitar and vocals sound mixed up a bit..but its good. i got better just from singing along my MP3 player while walking outside..but lol usualy i wont do it because people are around, and will think i am being possessed or something. blah... keep on growling people :kickass:

hehe... just a response to everyone who encourages whispering. it doesn't sound good, it doesn't work live, it doesn't work in rehearsal room. get the technique and support down and do the vocals with a deep tone. that is all :p

Strangely enough it aint whispering at all...it's louder than my speaking voice.. I also do death vocals in a band and there it's also louder, and at our first gig it was loud too :err: Btw I pasted my vocals onto the karaoke version, because you couldnt hear much of the music on the original track with the vocals

Anyhow, here is a comparision:
http://media.putfile.com/comparision

Any help is good..

im not whispering and I do live vocals, I've been doing growls/grunts/screams and shit for about 4 years already ...hehe but still I suck

yeah I know what you mean,Ican do live vocals and for some reason they might kickass...but when it comes to record my voice sounds like shit and a way too weak...someone told me that it was about the mic, that I needed a condenser mic? can't remember what the name is hehe

Sounds like a fairly standard black metal voice to me. Doesn't really sound like a growl though. It would work with a standard norwegian black metal band probably. haha

haha ...actually Im doing vocals for sum hecate enthroned inspired band :p