Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Every time I drive my moped (yes I drive a moped) I listen to music and growl along I just have to work on my timing and shrieks.

I don't think there is proper ways to growl nor reason to try and say what is proper growling or not. Some people sound good at it and some don't.

I don't think there is proper ways to growl nor reason to try and say what is proper growling or not. Some people sound good at it and some don't.

This is true, and there are many techniques. Hell my friend shouts at teh top of his lungs making a warcry sort of death metal voice. Something I have done before but never really got into the sound in the end and it was kind of damaging to dynamics. I suppose naming the thread "How to 'PROPERLY' growl" is a little off but it gives newbies some tips for now. Haha

This thread is fucking huge but I love it... great tips, if not some of the best.

So I've been practicing for a few years, just on and off... I can't really say how long, but I usually just practice some "scream a long". death vox, but I round out my voice with angra and queensryche too (I tell you, that stuff can hurt more)

so I've got a question about drinks. I know it helps to have phlem too, but whats some of the best stuff to drink, before, after... even during? Water seems meh. I've heard honey, and that makes sense, but I can't imagine some guy bringing that on stage :lol: ... carbonated drinks? milk? juice? i'm leaning towards gatorade myself... whaddya like to drink?

I drink only water, nothing else. Although it's not unheard of for some singers to take a shot of vodka or something beforehand.

iv been practicing for a bit now i can actually get a low growl but after awhile my voice is unable to stay that low im not feeling no pain it jus wont stay low...i have no clue y

so I've got a question about drinks. I know it helps to have phlem too, but whats some of the best stuff to drink, before, after... even during? Water seems meh. I've heard honey, and that makes sense, but I can't imagine some guy bringing that on stage ... carbonated drinks? milk? juice? i'm leaning towards gatorade myself... whaddya like to drink?
i find dairy product such as yogurt and milk work great that and green tea... carbonated drinks according to the mellisa cross videos is verrrry bad for ur throught its good for a quick fix for a scratchy voice but it will destroy ur throught if u use it to much

I'll say one thing about tea... Don't. As some people may know caffeine is a dehydrant. They last thing you want is a dry throat. The only possible explaination this rumor starting is that it's hot, and in that case hot water would have the same effect without dehydrating you. Even then the heat is not very likely to do much, if anything for long.

ya i didnt no that i just find it soothing after i finsh practicing..oh ya i forgot aslo stay from orange juice and lemonade and stuff highly acidic so does any1 y i cant keep my low tone for more then like 10 - 20 minutes my friend told me it was the technique it was using if so can any1 suggest a different technique?

ya i didnt no that i just find it soothing after i finsh practicing..oh ya i forgot aslo stay from orange juice and lemonade and stuff highly acidic so does any1 y i cant keep my low tone for more then like 10 - 20 minutes my friend told me it was the technique it was using if so can any1 suggest a different technique?
describe the technique you are using i might be able to help.

It kind of sounds like metalhead15 is blowing his voice out to me. Maybe not completely, and it may not hurt but he may be dong a certain amount of harm to the section of his throat his does his deep shit from. When people lose their voice it becomes raspy and all. If you were using a sort of loud yelling/warcry/bellowing type technique I could see this happening easy.

Just what is sounds like to me. It sounds like you're knocking some shit out of commission.

Eat an apple or pear before growling (or singing), it strengthens the vocal cords.
I always eat a apple before a gig since I learned it from my singing teacher at school, and it has helped me quite a lot to keep me voice fresh though out the whole gig and not starting to sound "worn out" at the end.

I began to try to growl a few days ago and this thread helped me a lot. But my growls still aren't very good. I can't get them deeper like for example Mikael Akerfeldt and sometimes my normal voice breaks through, espially when I try to growl the lyrics of a song. Is it just 'cause I've to practice more or do you think I make something wrong?
I think I made everything like it's explained in this thread and I also listened to the tutorial of this Tony Bullard.

You just need to keep practicing. I've been doing it probably less than a year and I now can get quite deep, probably near as deep as Mikael. I'll have to post a vid or a sound thing sometime.

I began to try to growl a few days ago and this thread helped me a lot. But my growls still aren't very good. I can't get them deeper like for example Mikael Akerfeldt and sometimes my normal voice breaks through, espially when I try to growl the lyrics of a song. Is it just 'cause I've to practice more or do you think I make something wrong?

First of all, I know no one that can say that "a few days ago" is a long enough time to meet mikael's ability. You better be willing to giving it more time than a few days or weeks or even months if you have plans to have a great growl. You will need to practice a lot more essentially.

As far as I know this is absolutely the best thread around that you'll find for good growling tips so just follow the advice and give it time. :headbang: