Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

First of all, I know no one that can say that "a few days ago" is a long enough time to meet mikael's ability. You better be willing to giving it more time than a few days or weeks or even months if you have plans to have a great growl. You will need to practice a lot more essentially.

As far as I know this is absolutely the best thread around that you'll find for good growling tips so just follow the advice and give it time. :headbang:

I just wanted to know if I'm even ably to do so :)
And yes this is really a great thread, I found very good tips here, thx to all the people who posted here :)

Alrighty I made a couple vids for you guys, not me at my best but decent enough. The first one is me growling the first bit of Wreath by Opeth, my timing was off a bit on a couple parts but its not too bad I guess.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=11809433
The next one is just me doing a scream.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=11814339
Sorry about the poor lighting, my ceiling light burned out a year or so ago and I'm too lazy to change it so all I have is my closet light lol. Let me know what you guys think.:headbang:

Alrighty I made a couple vids for you guys, not me at my best but decent enough. The first one is me growling the first bit of Wreath by Opeth, my timing was off a bit on a couple parts but its not too bad I guess.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=11809433
The next one is just me doing a scream.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=11814339
Sorry about the poor lighting, my ceiling light burned out a year or so ago and I'm too lazy to change it so all I have is my closet light lol. Let me know what you guys think.:headbang:

Sounds really great. I'm very far away from this class of growling.

Felshmountain. They are pretty good growls, I was especially impressed due to you only being 17, very few people are capable of growling that well by that age (probably due to voice constrictions). You could have some future in death metal if you get a good band to back you.

Hey thanks a lot dude. I am in a band right now, I'll let you know when we record some stuff. My stepbrother is in the band too, he also does vocals. Hes real good too, about the same age as me. We usually just each do our own songs, we dont sing together a lot.
edit: For some reason myspace deleted the vids, I'll get some different ones on there sometime though.

Does anybody know of the correct way to use spit in the mouth to achieve the wet, Dallas Toler-Wade type gurgle with your growls?

Everybody says that to get that sound, you somehow trap the spit between your tongue and throat or something, but I've been experimenting and nothing seems to work.

Does anybody know of the correct way to use spit in the mouth to achieve the wet, Dallas Toler-Wade type gurgle with your growls?

Everybody says that to get that sound, you somehow trap the spit between your tongue and throat or something, but I've been experimenting and nothing seems to work.

I've been trying to figure that out too, would be really nice being able to do those!

Random question here. Has anyone tried the new Melissa Cross dvd? I heard it was supposed to be more about Death Metal growling this. Even though the last one was for metalcore screaming, it tought me a bunch of useful stuff.

Not I... I didn't find any of her tips on the first one to be rocket science material. It was very obvious stuff you read about online for professional vocalists. Practically 65% of the first DVD was a bunch of singers fucking praising her, rather than actually teaching and explaining. It was retarded. She has people saying how awesome her lessons are or whatever, and then it has broken up pieces and lessons throughout.

Ok so, a couple of people have been wanting to hear my growl.
I've probably only tried growling about 3-4 times. But something kind of clicked lately so I decided I'd record it alittle.

To the song "Eaten" because it's pretty easy
http://media.putfile.com/My-First-Growls

I also start to get real sloppy at half way into the clip. NEED STAMINAAA

I did infact cut the clip short because I started getting sloppy.
Any Feedback is appreciated. Good or Bad I suppose lol.

Just keep the attitude levels low

Hey dude not bad for starting out. It sounds to me like your using your throat a lot, you should work on getting the growls lower in your throat/chest.

Hey dude not bad for starting out. It sounds to me like your using your throat a lot, you should work on getting the growls lower in your throat/chest.

I try, sometimes it feels so smooth and deep and other times it rapes my throat. I think I'm able to do it, I just need more practice I figure. I know the diaphram and throat, but how exactly are you supposed to use your chest? the way I figured it out is that you have to relax the chest and only use your stomach for breathing. Do you mean tighten up the chest and stand up straight type thing?

Thank you btw.

Emeticgore, the growls were not bad for a beginner. As for the question about tightening your chest, the answer depends on the type of vocals you are going for. Different pitches/sounds require you to tighten up/loosen up (for me at least). I find when I go deep my body in general is more relaxed, and anything high requires me to tense up a bit. I can't really tell if you're using your throat too much or not since at times you were pretty hard to hear, but the gut is the main source of a good growl. Since you're only beginning though I think the best thing is just practice.

Reposting this by request since the original file was deleted by myself while renaming stuff. It's just a song myself and my friend wrote and never finished. haha. I do all vocals. It's practically living room record quality since I'm hardly a producer.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Demo 2.mp3

And to think people say there's no talent to this kind of singing lol.

Thanks, I'll try out some variety of things. I'd also be willing to re-record the song if someone could tell me how to make a karaoke version of Eaten. I looked for programs but of course nothing is free.

To your vocals, I must say, I'm quite impressed. I like your tone alot. Pretty much the style I would like. How long have you been going at it for?

I started off singing heavy-ish vocals when I was about 18, and as my tastes changed and I got into death metal I started growling. But I am one of those people that can make pretty much any sound I want, hence my being class clown. haha. I have been doing death metal/black metal/prog metal vocals for about two and a half years now but it always came naturally for me so that's probably not a good time line to rely on.

Hi guyz! I trying to learn how to growl about a week and i read this threat. Thanks for the tips, it was really helped me. I have a problem. When I record my growl with my mic ( 10 dollar shit >_> ) I hear my voice like a deep growl but i dont know what the problem, cause the recording is shit and it sounds like a clean voice.

And sorry for my bad english :)

uhmm... can anyone help me? I want to know how to Growl properly, uhmm we are kinda starting a band and I don't know if I'm doing my Growl right.