Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Here`s my vocal stuff - I`m 15 and a half at the moment, and I`ve been grunting for a year now. Here`s my grunt length - 36s nonstop: scream.wma - 0.71MB
Here`s my short song:
whore.wma - 0.52MB
The lyrics (I wrote them in 5 mins):
Bathing in the blood of a raped whore,
That`s what we all adore,
All that you want is more,
To see a cunt spew gore.

Smothered after ejaculation,
She awaits her decapitation,
Mutilating amputation,
With love and frustration.

Here`s my vocal stuff - I`m 15 and a half at the moment, and I`ve been grunting for a year now. Here`s my grunt length - 36s nonstop: scream.wma - 0.71MB
Here`s my short song:
whore.wma - 0.52MB
The lyrics (I wrote them in 5 mins):
Bathing in the blood of a raped whore,
That`s what we all adore,
All that you want is more,
To see a cunt spew gore.

Smothered after ejaculation,
She awaits her decapitation,
Mutilating amputation,
With love and frustration.

Man it's hard to type hahaha. But here goes.
Your voice sounds really raspy and somewhat "forced" and uncomfortable sounding to me. This could of course be the age factor but it doesn't sound like you're getting very much power to the growls. Maybe you're not using your diaphragm enough? It's very "airy" and quiet sounding to these ears. so if you can give it some more "punch" so to speak it would probably sound better.

Puma: Sounds good for a youngin', keep practicing and don't fuck your throat up.

here is my vocals doramifasohlatido.mp3 - 0.05MB

do re mi fa so la ti do :D

Haha, love the use of classical scale in death metal. lol. It sounded alright too.

Man it's hard to type hahaha. But here goes.
Your voice sounds really raspy and somewhat "forced" and uncomfortable sounding to me. This could of course be the age factor but it doesn't sound like you're getting very much power to the growls. Maybe you're not using your diaphragm enough? It's very "airy" and quiet sounding to these ears. so if you can give it some more "punch" so to speak it would probably sound better.

Haha, love the use of classical scale in death metal. lol. It sounded alright too.

The weak sound is because i live in the suburbs and it would be quite freaky to the neighbors if i would give out a good punch. I can of course give a better grunt, if i had a place where i could grunt my lungs out :(

you know, death growling doesnt even make any sense to put it with the solfege syllables. because there is no pitch. your shitting all over it. and im only bitching because im a proficient chorus tenor. but thats besides the point.

I originally posted this message on a different forum, thought it might belong here. haha

"I did a recording tonight, I got kinda drunk and thought "Man I want to growl along to "Calculcate The Apocalypse" by Scar Symmetry". So I did a quick karaoke convert thing, and took out all of the original vocals (well about 95%), and recorded my growls to the song. I was too drunk to make do the singing parts, so I just skipped them for now. I'm a more adept growler so I pulled that part off though. lol. Check it out if you guys are curious. Let me know what you think.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Calculate-03.mp3
"

End of Message

I originally posted this message on a different forum, thought it might belong here. haha

"I did a recording tonight, I got kinda drunk and thought "Man I want to growl along to "Calculcate The Apocalypse" by Scar Symmetry". So I did a quick karaoke convert thing, and took out all of the original vocals (well about 95%), and recorded my growls to the song. I was too drunk to make do the singing parts, so I just skipped them for now. I'm a more adept growler so I pulled that part off though. lol. Check it out if you guys are curious. Let me know what you think.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981563/Calculate-03.mp3
"

End of Message

Where did you get a karaoke converter?

I'm starting to get a little bit more power and deepness to my growls, but I'm having trouble with rhythm and making my words understanable. Any tips?

Hey Delta Storm, sorry if ever gave you any shit before, once I clicked on your link with your growl, it really shocked me. Your growl is actually very impressive. To tell you the truth I was expecting some half-assed sounding peice of shit, but no, that was very good. I just wish I had people like you in Connecticut so I could start a band with actual talent. i mean over here its all about AKON and fucking talentless bullshit you hear on the radio. i was hanging out with some friends of mine in my van, and I happened to put on Opeth, and they all got angry. "What is this horsecrap noise?" and "Who ever screams this has no talent" and "This band is boring, put on 50 Cent"

it is my life long goal to make brutal fucking death metal to fuck all that shit away. i will kill it. whether it be tomarrow or 6 years from now.

Hey Delta Storm, sorry if ever gave you any shit before, once I clicked on your link with your growl, it really shocked me. Your growl is actually very impressive. To tell you the truth I was expecting some half-assed sounding peice of shit, but no, that was very good. I just wish I had people like you in Connecticut so I could start a band with actual talent. i mean over here its all about AKON and fucking talentless bullshit you hear on the radio. i was hanging out with some friends of mine in my van, and I happened to put on Opeth, and they all got angry. "What is this horsecrap noise?" and "Who ever screams this has no talent" and "This band is boring, put on 50 Cent"

it is my life long goal to make brutal fucking death metal to fuck all that shit away. i will kill it. whether it be tomarrow or 6 years from now.

Haha. That's a pretty nice comment right there. I hear you though, around here there is no good metal at all. Everyone here is "intro, breakdown, breakdown, weak vocals, trendy guitar, breakdown". And that's the closest to good metal I can get. It's fucked.

In my old town I used to play with a fucking top notch guitarist who had more vision than most, and when I moved I figured I'd find more people like that but everyone here is into either "3-chord punk" or hip hop. It fucking blows...

Where did you get a karaoke converter?

I'm starting to get a little bit more power and deepness to my growls, but I'm having trouble with rhythm and making my words understanable. Any tips?

Hey DarthPuma. I talked to you on the musician forum as well, and although I clearly am into good growls I personally don't think you should be trying to go deep at your age. You could seriously stunt or damage your vocal chords if you push them while they are changing rapidly. Although it's no secret vocal chords change constantly, they pretty much gain their structure and grow most at 12-18. If you wanted to do more high pitch vocals like In Flames or early Dark Tranquillity it would probably be the lesser of evils.

A good example is Behemoth. Nergal started off doing black metal vox at 14 with Behemoth, and as he got older he progressed into deeper stuff as his voice could handle it. And now he is pretty fucking brutal. Just a thought... I really don't recommend straining your voice. Do what you can as long as it doesn't hurt, and don't try to push to be deeper, just work on what can sound good and enjoy the music.

Hey DarthPuma. I talked to you on the musician forum as well, and although I clearly am into good growls I personally don't think you should be trying to go deep at your age. You could seriously stunt or damage your vocal chords if you push them while they are changing rapidly. Although it's no secret vocal chords change constantly, they pretty much gain their structure and grow most at 12-18. If you wanted to do more high pitch vocals like In Flames or early Dark Tranquillity it would probably be the lesser of evils.

A good example is Behemoth. Nergal started off doing black metal vox at 14 with Behemoth, and as he got older he progressed into deeper stuff as his voice could handle it. And now he is pretty fucking brutal. Just a thought... I really don't recommend straining your voice. Do what you can as long as it doesn't hurt, and don't try to push to be deeper, just work on what can sound good and enjoy the music.

Thanks for the advice. How would I start off learning how to do vocals like that? Do you know a site or something like the bullard tutorial to get me started with?

What about something like At the Gates? Would that be bad on my vocal chords?

Hi there again!
I'm trying to growl like Mikael Akerfeldt I think I'm using correctly my diaphragm, I haven't got problem with my throat so I think I'm doing it correctly, but hell... It's not loud very much :( It's like kind of whispering I think...
In the past I can only do a loud growl but It's not very deep (It likes Wintersun's Jari) and sometimes I've got sore throat so that's why I try this new style, but yeah it's not loud, so how can i get a louder growl? If I have a record I will upload it...

Decided to revisit this thread. Did upto chorus of eaten that came out ok, not as good as i hoped though due to lack of throat relaxation, water, and warming up. Sounds like shit when I first growl the beginning and ending of a word sometimes and fucked up at the end. Oh well, posting it anyways:
http://download.yousendit.com/E7EA990805143A09

Errr... Okay what I could hear was awful.. And mostly I couldn't hear you. Every so often I heard weird things that sounded like a somewhat hardcore talking verses (see every hardcore band) and a few oddities but I didn't hear a single growl the whole time besides the original eaten ones. Maybe your volume was too low but it sounded really bad here. When you do an upload try to make sure your vocals are out front mostly. Turn the volume up on it so we can hear you more clearly.

Edit:I sounded like a bit of an asshole but I don't hold back honesty. I just listened again and heard a hint of other growls that seemed to be decent, so if you could link a version where your vocals stand out front it would be good to hear.