Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Well here is a random question to throw out there for those that know of the band Iniquity.

I wonder if anyone knows how the fuck he does his vocals. Is it just effects or is his voice so low that when he screams it comes out as a really pissed of growl? haha. Now the guy obviously can't pronounce half the words in the english language (trying to follow their lyrics is useless) but he has a fucking weird combination growl that sounds like a scream at the same time at times.. Pisses me off trying to figure out how it's possible but I think many of teh songs off of grime have monstrous vocals, I am trying to figure it out for a backing vocal style right now...

On a good listen of the song "Border into shadow" it sounds mostly like effects.... You seem to be able to pick out an original voice in parts but I wonder what the secondary layer effect is still.. It sounds most excellent

im a complete newb to growling the only stuff i no is stuff off the internet and i dont no if its right..i need help lmfao

im a complete newb to growling the only stuff i no is stuff off the internet and i dont no if its right..i need help lmfao

Read everything on this thread and follow the links for now. It's got plenty of tips and after you've got that in your system ask questions instead of asking for a total repeat without reading first..

Okay I can't point out flaws from a single high pitch scream. If you want a good reply you need to make something where you do a few pitches or some words at least. Or I can't properly assess more than "It needs to be louder"

Listen delta, a scream doesn't have to be loud to be good. Although I agree that you should do a song or something to get us to give you some criticism metalhead15, you don't absolutely NEED to go louder. Mikael doesn't growl loudly at all and he has the best death metal voice ever. Most people do growl loudly (like me) but some choose not to. I think the little scream you did sounded clean, but record yourself doing a song "a capella" and we'll see what advice we can give you.

Well here is a random question to throw out there for those that know of the band Iniquity.

I wonder if anyone knows how the fuck he does his vocals. Is it just effects or is his voice so low that when he screams it comes out as a really pissed of growl? haha. Now the guy obviously can't pronounce half the words in the english language (trying to follow their lyrics is useless) but he has a fucking weird combination growl that sounds like a scream at the same time at times.. Pisses me off trying to figure out how it's possible but I think many of teh songs off of grime have monstrous vocals, I am trying to figure it out for a backing vocal style right now...

On a good listen of the song "Border into shadow" it sounds mostly like effects.... You seem to be able to pick out an original voice in parts but I wonder what the secondary layer effect is still.. It sounds most excellent

Iniquity uses a shit load of chorus, with a bit of reverb and a shitload of compression. I'm still trying to figure out which frequencies he's modifying tho. But I don;t really think it's cheating cuz live, you get almost the same sound because of natural reverb (which acts kinda like chorus too in a live setting).

Listen delta, a scream doesn't have to be loud to be good. Although I agree that you should do a song or something to get us to give you some criticism metalhead15, you don't absolutely NEED to go louder. Mikael doesn't growl loudly at all and he has the best death metal voice ever. Most people do growl loudly (like me) but some choose not to. I think the little scream you did sounded clean, but record yourself doing a song "a capella" and we'll see what advice we can give you.

Yeah I know screams don't have to be loud but he didn't give me more to work with so I figured that's the only partial advice he may be able to use. I need to hear more

So I got into Opeth about two or three years ago, which lead to the discovery of Bloodbath. Since then, I have delved even further into the realm of death metal, and I am absolutely hooked on this genre.

I have been trying to find ways to construct a deep death metal growl, and I just cannot do it. People constantly say to "use your stomach" for the best results, but apparently that is something that is easier said than done, as I just can't seem to pin this technique down. I try, I try to push air as hard as I can, but apparently I'm doing something wrong, because I always end up with a sore throat instead, and really nothing worthwhile to show for it. I realize you're not supposed to use your throat, but although I try not to, I always end up doing so anyway.

What are some tips you guys can give me? I have listened to all of the audition tapes that you people have posted, and it is depressing as hell that I cannot achieve that level of skill. Am I trying too hard, am I not trying hard enough? What am I doing wrong, and what am I not doing right?

Ive been in the genre for a while and I've learned that not everyone can do deathmetal vocals. you either got it or you don't

ya i tried doing a song cuz i have no clue about pitches i m unable to do a full song with out my voice cracking up or the scream not coming out and its just pitiful..i would post the video of me screaming to bleed the sky but its just embarrasing i tried other bands to like opeth and bloodbath but those r even harder for me at this rate il be able to scream in like 55 years

Once again I agree not everyone can do it... Some people seem to think otherwise, but I believe everyone has their own range that may not necessarily cover death metal. Like I've said before I know people that have been trying to do death/black metal for years and are simply NOT singers.. They can't do it.:\

ya i no that but id like to no y my voice cracks up iv been told i have a range for mid and high pitch screams but it stops or cracks up and once it happens my scream starts to sound funny especally throuh words like attack

u probly think i m a pain in the ass by now but i just want to no how to scream... what can cause me to push out more air but make my voice crack up and go squeky and sometimes even stop but when it happens it dont stop as i already said thats all i want to no

I was not refering to you with my last comment, I was just agreeing with a general statement, doesn't apply to anyone here since I can't possibly make that assumption about you.

AS for your voice cracking maybe you don't need to go louder than you are but you need to record more than one scream in one pitch if you want advice. Just do it like you normally would (not trying to be louder) and do like a few sentences or something at least