Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

The best advice is seriously to just work on it. If you want to get deeper, practice low growling a lot, and you'll get the hang of it, and learn new things. I do mostly low growls, but I got a Dissection CD for my car, and it's helped my mid-ranges a great deal.
Find a vocalist that you can sound a bit like, and practice with that.
I use NMF for Bloodbath to growl with, because I sound a bit more like Tagtgren than Akerfeldt.
Practice makes perfect. That's about all there is to it.

The best advice is seriously to just work on it. If you want to get deeper, practice low growling a lot, and you'll get the hang of it, and learn new things. I do mostly low growls, but I got a Dissection CD for my car, and it's helped my mid-ranges a great deal.
Find a vocalist that you can sound a bit like, and practice with that.
I use NMF for Bloodbath to growl with, because I sound a bit more like Tagtgren than Akerfeldt.
Practice makes perfect. That's about all there is to it.

lol! you wishh...

Well, I've got two consistent vocal styles happening. Either black metal style ala Darkthrones Panzerfaust, or Lemmy :D

I can go deep, but I cannot sustain it. Yet. But these dudes want me to join their band as a vocalist or a drummer, and I can't play drums for shit. Think George Costanza when he's in the small office playing with two pencils, a desk and a folder, and Arthur Penske visits him.

Use your diaphragm, if you want to hear mine look at my band's page. You should open your mouth wide go deep, it's hard to explain, you must make your voice hardm then work on it and try hard to go deeper. Like I said, look at my band's page for my death growls.

Hello^^
I have started to practice growling about 1 week ago, but i think i cant get any further.
I hope you can give me some tips to get better. Here you can download a mp3 of me :)
http://freenet-homepage.de/sash110/sfu.mp3
It sounds decent, you use a lot more spit than I do and you sound similar to Chris Barnes too, I kinda sound like David Vincent from what I've been told. You can make a deeper sound just whisper-type growling, then try to imitate it with your real growl, doing that should make you sound better, there's something lacking in your vocals though and I think it's the lack of depth.:)

death metal is also a style of music. maybe they just got different lyrics with the sound of death metal. thats not really uncommon.

for all i care fuck god in his nonexistant ass. but if its good music i dont give a fuck what they are growling about

ok...i am taking normal vocal lessons for some time now and thanks to that i found out something:
think of the sound you want to make as a ball or cloud of sound
if your chords hurt....this cloud is waaaaayyy too far in the back of your mouth area

try this with a 'u' in a comfortable place which tone you best hit and sing it
now think that this cloud is slooowwlllyy wandering to the back of your front teeth
if you did everything right you shoul be able to hold your nose closed when singing without hearing a difference

after a week of everyday practise you will start to always talk like that and so on

then ur ready to try that with the growls

make one where you get it and get the growl-cloud to the back of ur teeth

hope that helps at least a bit ^^
:loco:

Hey i have been reading the whole thread now and i am gonna try ur tips :)
the best thing when i have learned will ne when my friends get like :OMG: i will record my growl attempts when it comes sound :saint: